‘20 NC PG Jalen Cone

I think it's very clear this staff doesn't over sign with attrition in mind.
There’s a major difference between signing and recruiting players, you’re smarter than that...so in your opinion the staff has only been recruiting 2 players at a high level in the 2020 class, and up to Walker leaving would only have taken commitments from those 2 guys?

They wanted depth and didn’t fully trust Turner to handle full PG minutes at the time in case of injury.

It is a little odd they were pushing for Cone to reclassify so much with Turner and James both on board. It’d be nice for depth but would he have gotten 10mpg?
Yes.....I think James and Cone would have been the PG's with Turner concentrating on solely playing the 2.

They wanted depth and didn’t fully trust Turner to handle full PG minutes at the time in case of injury.

It is a little odd they were pushing for Cone to reclassify so much with Turner and James both on board. It’d be nice for depth but would he have gotten 10mpg?

I think it was a look more of the future, they liked the idea of him here for a year with open spot and learning the system and being ready to be the guy come his sophomore year. They really liked him as a player and was a guy they’ve been involved with for a long time, not a massive need this year but would’ve been nice for the future.

Yes.....I think James and Cone would have been the PG's with Turner concentrating on solely playing the 2.
I think we all agree James/Turner/Bowden are your best perimeter players...if you give them each 30mpg that only leaves 30mpg on the perimeter for Cone/Johnson/Pons/Gaines to fight for, I’m not sure how that fight ends but it’s definitely plausible Cone wouldn’t have gotten big minutes next year.

Is he closing like a tip 3 salaried coach, yes or no?

Lol that is totally misguided statement.......but of you know that already.

It’s simply another way to further your agenda.

What Barnes makes in salary in no way affects his ability to recruit (good or bad).........at least, at this level. For what Tennessee is and what they have been able to recruit Barnes is now certainly recruiting very well.

Factor the recruits Tennessee landed for 15, 16, 17, and even 18. Then wait and see what is landed for 19 and 20. Then you can gauge precisely how well Barnes is recruiting. I would wager (purely for pride as I don’t actually bet) Barnes would be at the very least top 10 if not at the top few.........dare I say top 3...........from what they “could” always get to what they now “can” get.

I’m not triggered.. i just found it a quite bit perplexed because your statement is deemed as if he’s already made his choice and he haven’t..
Indeed he hasn’t, but he cancelled his visit so that sort of points towards him going somewhere else. I’m not trying to be negative or anything, and you’re really looking to deeply into my first post.

Despite a coaching change he still wants to go to VT it means he must really like the school. It is what it is.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Indeed he hasn’t, but he cancelled his visit so that sort of points towards him going somewhere else. I’m not trying to be negative or anything, and you’re really looking to deeply into my first post.
He cancelled his visit but he’s already had an unofficial visit.. trust me, there’s no difference.. therefore he may feel as if he don’t need another visit, which cud go both ways being that he cud trust his unofficial visit and has made his mind up... it cud go both ways.. I’m not looking too deep into it.. I’m being open minded jus like u were wen u came up with your conclusions..

Why does his salary matter so much to you? Do you personally write him a check or something?
With the way things went down, that’s going to be part of the conversation about Barnes, like it or not.

Personally, I’m glad we hung on to him, and if that amount is what it took to do so, I’m happy we are paying it. I’ll be even happier if that is our commitment to basketball baseline going forward. But when you get a dramatic raise, it’s a fair question if you are doing what it takes to earn it. If we consistently have seasons that were like this one, the noise will dissipate and rightfully so.

There’s a major difference between signing and recruiting players, you’re smarter than that...so in your opinion the staff has only been recruiting 2 players at a high level in the 2020 class, and up to Walker leaving would only have taken commitments from those 2 guys?

Of course not but lets be honest this staff hasn't done a great job of keeping plan Bs around long enough

With the way things went down, that’s going to be part of the conversation about Barnes, like it or not.

Personally, I’m glad we hung on to him, and if that amount is what it took to do so, I’m happy we are paying it. I’ll be even happier if that is our commitment to basketball baseline going forward. But when you get a dramatic raise, it’s a fair question if you are doing what it takes to earn it. If we consistently have seasons that were like this one, the noise will dissipate and rightfully so.

It shouldn’t be.

If Tennessee payed Barnes 500,000 fans would still want him to recruit, and do it well. If 5 million can make him recruit a lot better then why the heck not pay him 10 million.......surely he could recruit even better...............it simply doesn’t and should be a non factor in these discussions.

Sure in a couple years if Barnes cannot recruit good players something might need to be done ......but as of right now that doesn’t look to be the case and money is not a magic potion which can lure all the good recruits here............unless that money is actually going to them.

It shouldn’t be.

If Tennessee payed Barnes 500,000 fans would still want him to recruit, and do it well. If 5 million can make him recruit a lot better then why the heck not pay him 10 million.......surely he could recruit even better...............it simply doesn’t and should be a non factor in these discussions.

Sure in a couple years if Barnes cannot recruit good players something might need to be done ......but as of right now that doesn’t look to be the case and money is not a magic potion which can lure all the good recruits here............unless that money is actually going to them.

It’s a fact of life in sports.

It’s a fact of life in sports.

You may think so, but I disagree. I agree that it is, but it certainly shouldn’t be as it has no bearing on this topic.

People are merely using it to further their dislike of Barnes. Anyone can see Barnes has been recruiting better. Some say that is fine some say not good enough or whatever. One cannot say as a fact Barnes is “not” recruiting better. So where does the $ fit in? He is certainly doing better..........if that is the case (which it is) there is NO need for the $ talk here. Those who want to further their “cause” would be better suited doing it where money and Barnes failures are more applicable.

I think it was a case of having an extra scholarship, and hopefully minimizing your competition for him by weeding out those who didn't have the available space to take him last minute. Similar to the way we landed Jarnell Stokes and DJ Burns.

Along those lines, going forward, it may become a little more common practice to leave an open slot where available for those type situations.

Is that true? He’s basically a child himself... crazy.
It is true, but the difference from his hometown to Knoxville and Blacksburg, respectively, is about 30 miles +/-. Distance isn't playing a factor between the two. He must just really like VT, and they retained his primary recruiter.

Of course not but lets be honest this staff hasn't done a great job of keeping plan Bs around long enough

Not what the original discussion was...Cone was/has been a top target of the staffs, if he had wanted to commit last summer as a 2020 recruit they’d have gladly taken him.

VN Store

Back