Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done....

Fulmer hired Pruitt because they are in general agreement on approach, so "meddling re: a coaching hire" might just be two guy who see things the same way discussing details.
On the OC hire, maybe they had plan A and plan B, so they could quickly pivot to plan B.

I would have liked to have
Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....
I would have liked to have seen Taj Boyd in Dave Clawson’s offense instead of Johnathan Crompton. The quarterback situation was terrible at the time but looking at the numbers Boyd put up at Clemson I believe they would have been much better pretty soon.

Yeah, and Woody the Ancient Alien Theorist can probably link several UFO sightings with as much credit.

I see you have followed me from the Tee Martin thread to this for the sole purpose to pick another fight. I suggest you take a daily spoonful of castor oil to help you grow up. A good number of folks would appreciate your doing so, providing you're mature enough to do it. I'll try to help you. See, this thread's topic is "Growing belief methodical Fulmer gets it done." It is however not, "Chase WoodsmanVol from thread to thread to pick fights with him." I hope that helps, as you do need help.

I'm just interested, since it's a common theme on these threads, for some posters to throw out empty facts to support their narrative. To be fair, he isn't the only one.

Yeah, I for 2 would be interested to SEE the solid facts that have led so many around here to that iron-clad conclusion. I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait tho.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.
Not you or anyone on this site has any idea what goes on in the football offices in Knoxville. Fulmer better be hands on. CJP is his horse that he brought to the race.

Just because someone is interviewed and doesn't get hired, isn't an indication of failure. I've interviewed many people for jobs that I didn't want after the interview. Maybe we didn't have the same goals or philosophies. Personalities don't mix sometimes. How do you know that the guy going to Ohio State is a better choice? Better numbers in the Big12?

The program is getting better coaches, better players, and has an AD that cares about UT more than maybe any AD in it's history. I'd say it's trending in the right direction.

Not afraid to mix it up with the big boys. Great points. He wants to piss off our rivals. He wants Tennessee to be hated again, for good reason. Hated because they are pulling coaches, recruits, being cocky and arrogant. Right now people just make fun of us or feel sorry for us. Fulmer is changing that.

1...I saw no debacle at all during the OC search coming out of the offices of the AD of the HC.

2...The only debacles I saw came from the so-called news idiots and here on VN.

3...I believe that Fulmer and Pruitt agreed long before Pruitt accepted the HC position that Pruitt would always be open to ideas and suggestions from Fulmer BUT that if Pruitt did take the HC job it was firmly understood that the footVol program was all HIS and that only HE would make all final decisions and NOT what Fulmer might want.

4...Pruitt DID steal the OC away from 1 of our top rivals and that DID hurt them and if your think that Smart and UGa liked that then you're just plain dumb.

5...Pruitt DID get Tee Martin to come back to Tennessee even though Tee did have other options including AllBarn and alaBummer if the news we heard was correct.

I have some things I wasn't happy about with Tee but the FACTS are that he IS a legend that DID get us the WIN of a National Championship, he IS well respected as a position coach and he IS well respected as a top notch recruiter so that has to be considered as a solid WIN for Pruitt and our footVol program.

Please ALWAYS try to remember that many here on VN are simply TROLLS posing as UT fans just to stir up crap and fights so when you finally identify them then just IGNORE them and when they get no replies to their crap they'll go away somewhere else to try to get the attention that those attention whores live for.

VFL...GBO!!!

I think Phil is being smart to help Pruitt surround himself with a quality and capable staff. A staff that has a healthy sprinkling of folks with loyalty roots and tendrils in our football program. I suspect he wants to help Pruitt be so successful that he will not want to bolt elsewhere. But like everyone else here, I can only speculate.

I also think if Fulmer wants to go beyond just bringing us back, he needs to somehow defeat the politics of the university. In doing so insert a system that prevents a future AD who is solely about fundraising and little else from being hired. Instead, one who is DEDICATED to the football program but balanced enough to support the other sports and raise funds.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not you or anyone on this site has any idea what goes on in the football offices in Knoxville. Fulmer better be hands on. CJP is his horse that he brought to the race.

Just because someone is interviewed and doesn't get hired, isn't an indication of failure. I've interviewed many people for jobs that I didn't want after the interview. Maybe we didn't have the same goals or philosophies. Personalities don't mix sometimes. How do you know that the guy going to Ohio State is a better choice? Better numbers in the Big12?

The program is getting better coaches, better players, and has an AD that cares about UT more than maybe any AD in it's history. I'd say it's trending in the right direction.

I think for Pruitt being in his second year at being a first time HC and considering the cluster fork of a program he was handed the keys to, Chaney was probably a better choice than anyone else that "WE" had our eyes on.

I really hoped for Yurcich, but he might not have done well here, now, strong possibility he could have failed and it not really been his fault. He might not had the patience to hold off on his offense until he taught them how to play the foosballz first. Like I've said before, under the circumstances... All of them, I think Chaney was definitely a home run.

Fact, we gone find out.

Over 35 seasons of going to football games, I've certainly seen my share of ups and downs within the football program. MOST of those seasons were ups until the last decade plus happened.

I'm really starting to gain a lot of faith and trust that Fulmer is going to not only bring UT back to relevancy, he will help build UT back to a serious contender.

I'll admit that I've hated on Fulmer as much as anyone as a fan, especially in the latter part of his coaching career. I still argue he made very costly head scratching hires that were very instrumental in his being let go as coach (don't want to get into Hamilton discussion, he ruined the program). But, enough of that..... I want to focus on all the good and smart decisions Fulmer made along the way (there are plenty)

The current Fulmer reminds me of the old Fulmer. The old Fulmer that was driven and hungry and competitive as hell to piss off his rivals and always keep a leg up on the competition. There is a long way to go, but the seeds are being planted.

Hiring Pruitt away from Bama ended up paying some dividends as it very well may have cost Bama another title. Hiring Chaney away from your division rival, who is clearly the top program in your division is a win. Especially after the so-called long wait to hire an OC with the perception that it was going badly...all the while having a plan and their guy all along....UGA can act like it's no big deal and that they weren't happy with Chaney...but that's a lie.....it is a huge deal and he's responsible for MUCH of UGAs success over last few seasons...

The hiring of Tee Martin.....not only is Tee a UT legend and title winner, he's a Bama native. Fulmer beat out Bama and others for Tee's services as a recruiter. It was a big deal. The methodical Fulmer was very strategic in his timing of when to pull the trigger on the Chaney and Tee hirings and when to announce. Bringing Tee out for the crowd at TBA against Bama was perfect timing. A way to agitate your rival just a little more and a way to be a thorn in their side.

Pruitt is the head coach and is making these decisions. But, don't think for a bit that Fulmer doesn't have his hands in the mix. It's great to see and feel the competitive spirit back in the football program of UT going directly after the top competition in the conference....

Agreed. Now the missing piece that needs to fall into place are W's in 2019 resulting in at least a mid-tier bowl game. 7-5 likely, 8-4 optimistically. The following recruiting cycle should land around the top ten fueled by the visible improvements from late 2018 to late 2019 season. The 2020 season resulting in an appearance at the SEC East Championship game would stand to solidify that the decisions made were fruitful. The rest is anyone's guess, but would seem to by moving only up from there.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
How Phillip handles the Holly situation will say a lot about what the priorities are. I truly hope PF can get it done because he's certainly going to try his best I believe. I just hope personal loyalty doesn't blind his judgement.

I think he has already been blinded because of the extension that he gave Warlick when anyone can see she is not the right person. He is the one that needs to stop the bleeding, because all of us Lady Vol Fans are bleeding. She keeps mentioning about this years team being young, but this a trend EVERY year and you can't continue to use young as an escape. She has certainly had talent and experience and can do nothing with it. To say Pat would be proud, well that borders on insanity. Have you ever in your lifetime seen her proud after just one loss, much less 5 in a row. Have you ever heard her tell her team "We aren't suppose to beat Notre Dame" especially on their home floor. She continues to blame the girls and NEVER takes any responsibility. Well if she really feels that way, then she needs professional help.

Reactions: hog88

Very good points, that I agree with completely. I will admit that I did not think having Fulmer as AD was a good idea. I was wrong. Like you said, the Fulmer we have now is the hungry Fulmer, not the one who coached Tennessee in the last few seasons.

At the risk of repeating what others are saying, I want to give a shout out to Pruitt for letting Fulmer give his guidance in these decisions. Yes, Pruitt has to make the final decision, but these are truly master strokes that will pay off handsomely in the near future. Pruitt is very wise to set aside his pride, and let Fulmer help where he can. Ultimately, it will be to his credit that he did so.

When you are AD and bleed orange and let lady vols basketball go to hell. That's not bleeding orange. He isn't doing his job.
Making a change now would do what? When the season is over, one would expect it.

Reactions: Vol524
Phil was the right man for the job at the time he was fired. He is the right man for the job now. I am only concerned with how much power he actually wields. Hoping he is not just another sugar pill throw at us by the administration to keep order in the house. To me right now, they are a very highly paid group who can’t beat Vanderbilt. Hopefully this will be the last year I can make that comment.

Reactions: AM64
Open your eyes a little wider and take off the orange glasses because from an objective viewpoint i've seen an OC hiring debacle that took forty something days where we dont know the exact details because of the administrations tight lips, but we do know everyone interviewed besides Chaney went to other schools AND we know we lost at least one earlier and better choice to OSU. We know Fulmer has been been meddling in hires and coaching(which UT had to report as a violation). We also know that there some internal problems with position coaches and coordinators and Pruitt. Some of these position changes may be good or bad...we don't know yet, but there is certainly nothing to indicate that Fulmer has saved the day by any means...in fact, I would say we are trending in the other direction until prove otherwise.

I think we probably did go after Yurcich, and we did wait on him. I also think we kicked the tires with Freeze and others, but I think we also had in the back of our mind that we would go after Chaney when the time came, if we struck out on or decided against the others.

All things considered, I think we got the best choice. Having a veteran coach like Chaney on the offensive side is going to pay major dividends. Also, having someone without off-the-field issues, and someone with major SEC experience is invaluable.

It is always true that only time will tell, but I don't see any reason to not be confident in this hire.

According to a report from Oklahoma State's 247 Sports affiliate, GoPokes, Tennessee has extended an offer to Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator, Mike Yurcich. The report states that the offer comes with a "substantial bump in pay" compared to what he makes as Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator.

You can take that as a “know” but I’ll remain skeptical.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back