The Fishing Thread

That's it. That's what it changed too. Forgot to mention it. Those aren't bad, got one myself.
Good deal :hi: I tried it out little bit this morning and got about a pound, pound and a half bass (largest one I've ever caught in this little pond I was fishing) off my tri-wing buzzbait. I was feeling pretty good then 30 minutes later Dad goes and catches one twice that size :lol:

Any Melton Hill fishermen out there? Took my first trip up to the dam (below the dam) since about 10 years ago. I think I took a knife to a gun fight. Was using medium spinning tackle with 8 lb. test expecting to catch white bass. Well, I did catch a white bass, but I definitely was out matched when a striper took off with my spinner bait. He reeled off the line for about four second before it snapped. I'm going back Friday morning more prepared (my success will determine how the Vols do later that night, or so I tell myself).

Any tips from the people that fish there? Is it worth going when the dam isn't generating? Live bait / cut bait or artificial?

Asian Carp are being reported in the Cumberland river system now as far up as Cheatham Damn in Ashland city... These things breed like wildfire and will destroy a fishery in no time... Truly bad news for anyone that fishes the river system......

Asian Carp are being reported in the Cumberland river system now as far up as Cheatham Damn in Ashland city... These things breed like wildfire and will destroy a fishery in no time... Truly bad news for anyone that fishes the river system......

Terrible news. Can't catch and kill fast enough

A buddy of mine just set the state record for a silver carp caught by bowfishing not long ago.

Got out on Old Hickory today. Decided to take a break and not watch the Titans. Bass have moved to the backs of the creeks now.. Caught somewhere between 45-60 fish today.. Caught them until my arms and fingers were sore.. Throwing square bill crankbaits and rattle traps mostly.. Just about caught every one off one 100 yard stretch of bank.. They were stacked in there pretty thick.. Best 5 would have been in the 13-15 pound range.. Took out my UT football frustrations on some fish... It was a good day.. Did all that in less than 3 hours of fishing... Just awesome...

Since it was talked about earlier re: Kentucky Lake, an artificial crappie/ fish structure question about TN:

When I was a kid, it used to be sort've a tradition with some folks in my extended family to take their Christmas tree out, tie a piece of cinder block to it, and toss it into some lake, pond, or river to create a secret fishing hole where it didn't otherwise look likely. This was in the days when fish-finders were newfangled, much less GPS.

I always loved the idea as a kid, even though I never got to go along, because it combined Christmas and fishing... I mean, damn.

What spiced things up for the couple of guys who did it (second cousins, left uncles?) was finding out that, at the time, it was illegal. As a result, I've never done it, but, remembering it this year, I'd sure love to start. Anybody know if it's still illegal?. I'm too broke to pay a fine, and too short & pretty to go to jail for fleeing the scene of a crime.....

Last edited:
Terrible news. Can't catch and kill fast enough

Since they're apparently good eating, I don't know why there aren't more Asian carp-kill contests and associated charity fish-fries. Especially in the South, where we've not only got plenty of country-boys who love an excuse to go on a maximum predation safari, but who'd (myself included, I admit it) would especially love doing the version where you power down an infected river with hand nets- and body armor- because the bastards leap as you approach and can actually knock your butt out. The vids I've seen are like fishing, football, and a really good-old-boy video game all combined.

There's a clean & filet vid for Asian Carp on Youtube, and loads of recipes around the web. What's better than getting to do something ecological, something goofily macho fun, something that puts food on tables, and even might help hurting folks out all at the same time.

Just wondering.....

On leave for few days and I'm wanting to fish in the tri-cities since the water temps are rising and the bass should be coming out. Anyone know of some early season hot spots on boone, holston or anywhere else nearby? Thanks in advance.

Cherokee Lake is off to a good start with their Christmas trees. Just need the water to rise.

Attachments

• IMG_20130411_132552_286.jpg
    IMG_20130411_132552_286.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 4
Broke one of my flyrods today by taking a ****ter sliding down a steep bank. Hopefully somebody can fix it well

What are you fishing with?

First night we used some Catfish Bait from walmart, not sure the brand. Second night we used chicken livers.

Also, anyone know a solid Rod&Reel combo I can get for an amateur bass fisherman? I've been fishing quite alot that past 2 years and I'd figured its time to spend some money. 50-75 will get me anything good? And anyone want to give me a suggestion for certain spinner, crank, or plastic baits?

First night we used some Catfish Bait from walmart, not sure the brand. Second night we used chicken livers.

Also, anyone know a solid Rod&Reel combo I can get for an amateur bass fisherman? I've been fishing quite alot that past 2 years and I'd figured its time to spend some money. 50-75 will get me anything good? And anyone want to give me a suggestion for certain spinner, crank, or plastic baits?

Throw jitterbugs right after dark onto surface cover. Pretty easy and good action, only reason I fish for bass

Did some cat fishing tonight. 6 cats 3 brim in 5 hours. Didn't keep any this time but it was still fun.

I'd like to get into bass fishing if anyone needs a fishing buddy.

Figured I'd bump this thread. Anybody doing any good with bass this year? We've had some pretty good luck on the Tennessee river lately.

For catfish, you can try a couple things. First, let the chicken liver sit in the sun for a day or two until the smell almost gags you. Wrap a good piece in pantyhose to keep it together. Use a No. 2 Circle Hook.

I have used shrimp as well and have had luck as well.

General rule of thumb for catfishing is the stinkier, the better.

What are the most out performing $100 rods ya'll have experience with.. I have personally found the Duckett Ghost baitcast rods to perform way beyond their price point

VN Store

Back