Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check that "dinosaur's" record.

Yes, check the record and break that record up into segments, the first half of the Fulmer "occupation," admittedly outstanding, and the last half of the "occupation," middle of the road or mediocre at best. Victories against Florida? Ranked teams? Three times missing the top twenty? Just to point our a "very few" Dooley "type" characteristics.

Yes, check the record and break that record up into segments, the first half of the Fulmer "occupation," admittedly outstanding, and the last half of the "occupation," middle of the road or mediocre at best. Victories against Florida? Ranked teams? Three times missing the top twenty? Just to point our a "very few" Dooley "type" characteristics.

Spin it anyway you wish. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE.

Reactions: 3 people

5 SECCG appearances in the last ten years is not like Dooley or Kiffin. Fulmer did well. Hopefully, the next coach will do well too.

Spin it anyway you wish. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE.

29-21 in his last 4 years...so mediocre.

And 19 of those wins came in large part due to David Cutcliffe.

Without Cutcliffe?

10-13 in 05/08 combined.

Fulmer was a very good football coach and an incredible recruiter in his day. But his time ran up here.

Reactions: 1 person

Without Cutcliffe?

10-13 in 05/08 combined.

Fulmer was a very good football coach and an incredible recruiter in his day. But his time ran up here.
If you had a Gruden on the hook, fire Phil. If not.....

If you had a Gruden on the hook, fire Phil. If not.....

You fire Phil because he's failing as the head coach. Just because the guys after him we hire don't work out doesn't make firing Phil, someone who wasn't getting the job done either, the wrong move.

Lane Kiffin looked promising in his first year then bolted..Then we were left with picking up the scraps(Derrick Dooley) cause no one else wanted to come clean up this mess.

Dooley, for all the wrong he did here, cleaned up the program. We don't have any violations or anything like that on us..we got the last of the punishment we're gonna get from the NCAA over the Kiffin ordeal.

Now we can bring in a Gruden, Strong, or someone like that.

Without Cutcliffe?

10-13 in 05/08 combined.

Fulmer's last four year were 29-19 (17-15 SEC).

Since Fulmer, UT is 17-15 (9-23).

Some of these candidates don't measure to Fulmer's record. I would like to see Gruden come to UT and put a beating on Saban every single year, but if not I am not excited about Al Golden.

Fulmer's last four year were 29-19 (17-15 SEC).

Since Fulmer, UT is 17-15 (9-23).

Some of these candidates don't measure to Fulmer's record. I would like to see Gruden come to UT and put a beating on Saban every single year, but if not I am not excited about Al Golden.

5-6
9-4
10-4
5-7

That equals 29-21.

And I know we've been bad since Fulmer. But we were bad under Fulmer's last few years as well. Failure following failure is not a reason to go back to the original failure, lol.

5-6
9-4
10-4
5-7

That equals 29-21.

And I know we've been bad since Fulmer. But we were bad under Fulmer's last few years as well. Failure following failure is not a reason to go back to the original failure, lol.

06 & 07 wasn't failures. Nonetheless, take another chance like Kiffin or Dooley and UT may never return to the type of years you refer to as "failures."

06 & 07 wasn't failures. Nonetheless, take another chance like Kiffin or Dooley and UT may never return to the type of years you refer to as "failures."

Indeed they weren't. Solid years.

But I feel Cutcliffe was the biggest reasons for those. Fulmer gets a lot of undeserved hate. I'm not trying to pile any on.

But going back to him now, or having stuck with him then is not/would not have been the right choice. It was simply time.

The one thing Fulmer could do, even in the down years of the last 10, was recruit..but even in 08, that dropped off heavily. He just wasn't the same coach anymore, sadly.

I really hated the way he had to go, and I was one of the last people to say "time for him to go"..but it was, nonetheless.

Indeed they weren't. Solid years.

But I feel Cutcliffe was the biggest reasons for those. Fulmer gets a lot of undeserved hate. I'm not trying to pile any on.

But going back to him now, or having stuck with him then is not/would not have been the right choice. It was simply time.

The one thing Fulmer could do, even in the down years of the last 10, was recruit..but even in 08, that dropped off heavily. He just wasn't the same coach anymore, sadly.

I really hated the way he had to go, and I was one of the last people to say "time for him to go"..but it was, nonetheless.

Oh I see no way of going back to him either. That is not what I'm saying. As you say, I think Fulmer gets way too much criticism and as fans we need to recognize success rationally. Moreover, Fulmer did have Taj Boyd committed too and he did know how to recruit. Of course, I didn't like his Clawson hire and if he was to come back (I have no hope for that), I would be worried about his coordinator hires unless they were Chavis and Cut.

So where does that leave me? I worried that UT is not going to get Gruden, and a hire that would be less than what Fulmer did even his last ten years is very possible. To me that hire would be a fail. I want someone with excitement and wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back