Whispers on Stokes' Top 3

This would be as big or bigger than getting Tobias Harris. Maybe, it could open some doors for us recruiting Memphis. I'm still not getting my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but it would be absolutely huge if it happens.

Agree. Stokes represents so much more of a coup than Harris was at the time, especially with nothing to base his decision in terms of on-court product. Tobias had 5 years to base his decision.

If I was a recruit that lived in Memphis and was recruited and wanted by Memphis, but wanted out... This is how I would do it. Graduate early and enroll in another school and not deal with everyone harassing ya.

Agreed.

I wonder what's making him wait 'till the last minute like this? Unless he won't be an EE, like many seem to be reporting.

Who knows? He'll have to decide soon if he's going to enter college next semester.

Not to overstate it, but given this is Cuonzo's first year and the shape the defensive genius Pearl left the program in, this would be the biggest recruiting get any coach has ever pulled at the University of Tennessee.

If I was a recruit that lived in Memphis and was recruited and wanted by Memphis, but wanted out... This is how I would do it. Graduate early and enroll in another school and not deal with everyone harassing ya.

That's exactly right. I just don't see why he wouldn't have already committed, living in Memphis, unless there was a chance he wasn't going to go to Memphis.

Not to overstate it, but given this is Cuonzo's first year and the shape the defensive genius Pearl left the program in, this would be the biggest recruiting get any coach has ever pulled at the University of Tennessee.

It would be up there. Especially considering the rise of both Memphis and UK.

It's hard to do because in certain circles in the basketball world in Memphis they see it as turning your back on your family. What if they fail and have to come back to the neighborhood?

It's pressure.

Agreed. I feel like getting Tobias Harris really opened the door for this.

Well, let's just hope all the chatter actually is true and he becomes a Vol! Sure would be a nice Christmas present for the program.

Actually apparently we have strong interest in JT Miller, a SG from NC in the '12 class. We are going to see him next week. And he was at the Pittsburgh game.

They have two 3s committed already. I'm assuming the rest of the class will be posts.

That's what I figured. VN mentioned another great SG would put us at Top 25; didn't know if there was somebody in mind.

Tobias being a one and done, and going on to be a solid pro player is exactly what this program needed and needs.

Tobias Harris is a tremendous representative for Tennessee. One of my favorite all-time players even though he played for a year. Just pure class.

That's what I figured. VN mentioned another great SG would put us at Top 25; didn't know if there was somebody in mind.

I think our main targets are Stokes and Charles Mitchell at this point. If I read something else, I'll make sure and post it.

Reactions: 1 person
Tobias Harris is a tremendous representative for Tennessee. One of my favorite all-time players even though he played for a year. Just pure class.

If Stokes ends up a Vol, I think we all owe Harris some kudos.

I can't help but think Stokes spending some time with him has been a big part of his renewed and recently elevated interest in UT. Tobias could be one of the best recruiters we have...

Last edited:
This would be as big or bigger than getting Tobias Harris. Maybe, it could open some doors for us recruiting Memphis. I'm still not getting my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but it would be absolutely huge if it happens.
Bigger IMO, knocking down a door we have been beating on for years and years, and actually getting an elite player from the heart of Memphis (that they want) could have long lasting positive results. Even if we don't get Stokes, CCM has done a hell of a job here, and you have to like our chances in the future, as he has more and more time to build relationships with kids.

VN Store

Back