Whispers on Stokes' Top 3

Great news, Skeeter. Would be an absolutely huge get by Martin, and would go a hell of a long way to quell some of the concerns about his recruiting ability.

+1,000. Anyone who watches a game should understand his coaching ability is light years beyond Pearl, as far as on-court coaching goes. And that can be seen after such a small number of games.

Everyone knows you have to be able to get the horses in college bball, though. Would be massive for his program here at Tenn.

First shot of the battle fired. This thing you guys have on here is like a civil war.

I couldn't help myself, but I get really pissed when people are saying "Well, Martin sucks as a recruiter" when he has three guys playing right now that are making positive contributions on the team.

I'm going to regret it. Still couldn't stop myself. :)

+1,000. Anyone who watches a game should understand his coaching ability is light years beyond Pearl, as far as on-court coaching goes. And that can be seen after such a small number of games.

Everyone knows you have to be able to get the horses in college bball, though. Would be massive for his program here at Tenn.

Stokes would be a huge get. I don't know if he's going to be mid-term or not. He would help this year's team immensely because no more Miller/Woolridge. And next year he'd give us a scorer.

Stokes would be perfect for next year's squad.

Add him and one more scoring guard, and this team would be a top 25 team. We only lose one contributor next year, and it's not like Cam is a superstar. I think Richardson will actually provide better D next year anyways.

They don't. Lawvol was correct and I was wrong. I thought Poole leaving Kentucky freed up a scholly. Not so as the scholarship awarded reflects against your headcount for the entire academic year even though you may transfer out during the year. Here is the NCAA bylaw describing this:

15.5.1.5 Cancellation of Aid. Once an individual becomes a counter in a head-count sport (see Bylaws
15.5.2, 15.5.4, 15.5.5, 15.5.7), the individual normally continues as a counter for the remainder of the academic
year. However, if he or she voluntarily withdraws from the team prior to the first day of classes or before the first
contest of the season (whichever is earlier) and releases the institution from its obligation to provide financial aid,
the individual no longer would be considered a counter (see Bylaws 15.5.2.2 and 15.5.6.4.1).

Also according to this bylaw it would seem academic scholarships may not allow him to play (not sure though):

15.5.3.2.1.2 Institutional Academic Scholarships. Institutional academic scholarships that are part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, are exempt from an institution’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the
certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution.

It would appear to me that UK and Memphis are only an option if he walks on and pays his own way. I may be wrong though.

Dude, you got too much time on your hands........damn

I hear he's alergic to cats anyway....... :)

GBO!!!!!

i agree. hearing he wants to enroll at the school of his choice in january. ill keep my ears open.

340x.gif

I couldn't help myself, but I get really pissed when people are saying "Well, Martin sucks as a recruiter" when he has three guys playing right now that are making positive contributions on the team.

I'm going to regret it. Still couldn't stop myself. :)

No use in gloating if you are winning an argument. I mean, I'm pretty much always right, but you never see me on here gloating about being right all of the time.

Never.

Reactions: 1 person
No use in gloating if you are winning an argument. I mean, I'm pretty much always right, but you never see me on here gloating about being right all of the time.

Never.

:)

I am sure that he will be convinced to go to Kentucky to prepare him for the NBA and he will also be ensured that he will make the NCAA his one or two seasons at Kentucky.

I've read on VN a while back when we still had tanning bed coaching, that Stokes would wear UT gear to Memphis camps.

By the way, for the Pearl lovers, Martin would do something in less than a year that Pearl couldn't do in six years. Pull somebody from the Memphis area that Memphis actually wanted.

Just to be fair to this argument, if Pearl was still the coach Stokes would have signed with UT during the early signing period. Pearl's staff had Stokes locked up. The kid just loves lots of things about UT. He also has some people that attend UT that he wants to go to school with.

Would be a huge pick up for UT and would go along way for getting the recruiting ball rolling for the class of '13. If this happened, Martin will have done something Pearl didn't do the entire six years at UT.. Get a recruit out of Memphis (and actually enrolled) that Memphis really wanted.

Just to clarify, if Stokes enrolled now,when would he be eligible? When the Fall semester ends like a transfer or would he have to wait till Spring semester in January?

Just to clarify, if Stokes enrolled now,when would he be eligible? When the Fall semester ends like a transfer or would he have to wait till Spring semester in January?

He wouldn't be able to enroll in school until January since the school year is over...

Assuming he could get thru the clearinghouse he would be eligible the first day of class. Grades have been said not to be an issue but the NCAA would certainly drag their feet in this instance IMO.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Golden, Washpun
McRae, McBee, Golden
Tatum, Richardson
Maymon, Miller, Woolridge
Stokes (not sure if he'll start but will probably end up playing the most minutes at this spot), Hall, Yemi

Woolridge is probably the odd man out.

This would be HUGE... could come at a perfect time.

A convincing stomping on Saturday would be nice.

This would be HUGE... could come at a perfect time.

A convincing stomping on Saturday would be nice.

This would be as big or bigger than getting Tobias Harris. Maybe, it could open some doors for us recruiting Memphis. I'm still not getting my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but it would be absolutely huge if it happens.

This would be as big or bigger than getting Tobias Harris. Maybe, it could open some doors for us recruiting Memphis. I'm still not getting my hopes up to avoid disappointment, but it would be absolutely huge if it happens.

Agreed.

I wonder what's making him wait 'till the last minute like this? Unless he won't be an EE, like many seem to be reporting.

VN Store

Back