A&M officially a member of the SEC

Alabama | MrSEC.com

Interesting article regarding TV markets. For those of you who dont know, although the SEC is the dominant football conference it is not dominant in TV markets.

How could anybody expect differently? There's only one top 20 market in the whole region.

(Note: Miami is not really in the south.)

That whole think is a bit disingenuous, though. I'd be shocked if there weren't more total people watching college football on your average Saturday in a middling market like Nashville than there are in New York and Philadelphia.

Oklahoma may not add as many TV sets to the SEC's footprint as Missouri would, but they would increase the odds of existing sets turning the SEC on. "Adding sets" is only relevant for regionally televised games. A lot of SEC games are aired nationally. OU would increase the ratings of those games.

Oklahoma may not add as many TV sets to the SEC's footprint as Missouri would, but they would increase the odds of existing sets turning the SEC on. "Adding sets" is only relevant for regionally televised games. A lot of SEC games are aired nationally. OU would increase the ratings of those games.

I don't disagree with you at all. The SEC already has great ratings while only having one major media market in its footprint. They can't add any big cities to the south. So you'd figure that the best way to increase overall viewership would be to add the best teams possible, creating more must-see games for college football fans around the country. But the SEC (and therefore presumably ESPN and CBS) seem to think that it's all about TV markets instead. They're the experts, I guess.

Do you get more overall people watching if you have huge Oklahoma-Alabama and Oklahoma-LSU matchups every year, or more people in St. Louis watching Alabama and LSU stomp Mizzou in the face every year? I don't know.

The SEC is interested in Missouri but not Oklahoma. This has nothing to do with the quality of football a team plays.

As of now, aTm is a better football team than Tennessee. We can talk all we want about the good old days, but the team just isn't there at this time. I'm against expansion, but if it's going to happen, I got no trash to talk about aTm or Mizzou.

I would almost rather add a weaker team that will draw more fans in a bigger market than a team like Oklahoma. As it stands, the SEC is the dominant college football conference. I think there is the possibility of bringing in too many good teams to be accurately judged by the BCS system. The problem with that is that the BCS is propped up by boatloads of cash from the very entities that criticize it. If you put too many elite teams in the same conference, the BCS could really screw that conference.

These teams, which would be even more loaded with the best talent in the country, would inevitably beat up on each other. Computers don't like losses. The super conference idea is great for a playoff system, but I do worry that it could do more harm than good with the BCS deciding things. Luckily, IMO, A&M isn't Oklahoma.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As of now, aTm is a better football team than Tennessee. We can talk all we want about the good old days, but the team just isn't there at this time. I'm against expansion, but if it's going to happen, I got no trash to talk about aTm or Mizzou.

I like the addition of A&M. They are a good team with a relatively large base of fans that won't really throw off the competitive balance of the SEC. There is a place for them.

I don't disagree with you at all. The SEC already has great ratings while only having one major media market in its footprint. They can't add any big cities to the south. So you'd figure that the best way to increase overall viewership would be to add the best teams possible, creating more must-see games for college football fans around the country. But the SEC (and therefore presumably ESPN and CBS) seem to think that it's all about TV markets instead. They're the experts, I guess.

Do you get more overall people watching if you have huge Oklahoma-Alabama and Oklahoma-LSU matchups every year, or more people in St. Louis watching Alabama and LSU stomp Mizzou in the face every year? I don't know.

Yeah, the model has always been to put the best product out there. But, I guess they want to get that 1230pm SEC TV game into as many markets as possible.

My hunch is that Oklahoma (like Nebraska) has a disproportionately larger national following that its local TV market would suggest.

My hunch is that Oklahoma (like Nebraska) has a disproportionately larger national following that its local TV market would suggest.

Agreed. But the SEC powers (and ergo, their TV partners) apparently don't, because supposedly the SEC doesn't have much interest in Oklahoma.

There's probably a competitive angle to it too. Why add a national power like Oklahoma, making everybody in the conference's path to a title harder, when they don't even bring a major market with them? Better to add midrange teams like A&M or Mizzou that have markets and aren't immediate threats to win anything.

There is a reason the SEC doesn't want Oklahoma but I can't remember what it was or is about. It's something they did a long time ago that burnt the bridges to the SEC and plus they want OSU to be with them where ever they go and no one in the SEC wants to listen to T. Boone Pickens on how he thanks everything should be run.

WELCOME A & M. My favorite team out west has been the Aggies, but that will change once we start playing them I'm sure. Rivalries do that.

WELCOME A & M. My favorite team out west has been the Aggies, but that will change once we start playing them I'm sure. Rivalries do that.

+1

I've always liked the Aggies. I think it's because I hate Texas and Oklahoma so much. At least now I have another team to cheer for against Bama and LSU.

Was the ACC

Yep, the ACC. The rumor is that 9 of the ACC schools wanted it as high as $50-$60 million, but FSU, Maryland (I think), and another school (Va Tech?) talked everyone down to $20 million.

It's a steeper price to pay, but I still don't think it keeps a league like the SEC from adding one of those schools if they really want to. The increased TV money on a renegotiated deal would more than cover it.

Welcome to Texas A&M...We look forward to enjoying your awesome atmosphere on gameday....Now go get WVU and We'll have us a nice expansion

Welcome to Texas A&M...We look forward to enjoying your awesome atmosphere on gameday....Now go get WVU and We'll have us a nice expansion

Ugh, pass. Both the SEC and the ACC want to have nothing to do with them

VN Store

Back