A&M officially a member of the SEC

Arkansas was really good in the mid to late 80s, but was a train wreck in progress by the time they joined the SEC.
True, but they haven't really gotten a chance to bounce back. I'm not really sure they've ever been one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

True, but they haven't really gotten a chance to bounce back. I'm not really sure they've ever been one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

Closest they've ever been would have probably been in 1998 or the one time when they played in the SECCG (2005?).

Is one division title a decade strong?

They will still be little brother in Texas. I don't see there being a dramatic recruiting difference.
Again, I didn't say they would be strong. They are a mid-tier team in the Big XII and will be a mid-tier team in the SEC, IMO, JMO, IYAM.

That's not true. Their win percentage has dropped considerably and they haven't won any championships since joining the SEC.

Also, I think Arkansas was winning more before joining the SEC than A&M has been winning lately. At least in terms of titles.
Arkansas all-time record against the SEC is actually only a couple points worse than against the current alignment of the Big XII (About .500 against the Big XII, about .470 or something IIRC against the SEC), and they've been winning the SEC west at about the same clip at which they were winning the SWC. They were pretty good from Broyles through Ken Hatfield, but as GA said, the program was having serious issues well before the SWC fell apart and they joined the SEC, which was more coincidental rather than them struggling after joining a new conference.

I don't see much reason why it would.
Florida currently has the same advantage in their state, and can still pull really good recruits even with 7-5 type seasons. Texas produces as much talent as Florida does, and recruits know playing in the SEC will get them strong looks from the NFL.

Three divisional titles... GA, disagree, I think their best season was '06. They got smashed by like five or six TD's by USC at home but went on to go 7-1 in conference and played a respectable game against the Fightin' Tim Tebows.

Three divisional titles... GA, disagree, I think their best season was '06. They got smashed by like five or six TD's by USC at home but went on to go 7-1 in conference and played a respectable game against the Fightin' Tim Tebows.

That wasn't even really a Tebow team, but it was still a NC team led by Chris Leak. Tebow mainly saw time in 3rd or 4th and short situations that year, half of which felt like they came against UT in September. That game still annoys me. We win with no problem if we even stop him a little bit or didn't lose that pick-6 on the bogus roughing the passer call.

That wasn't even really a Tebow team, but it was still a NC team led by Chris Leak. Tebow mainly saw time in 3rd or 4th and short situations that year, half of which felt like they came against UT in September. That game still annoys me. We win with no problem if we even stop him a little bit or didn't lose that pick-6 on the bogus roughing the passer call.

Any FL team with him on the roster gets referred to as The Fightin' Tim Tebows by me.

Despite the division "titles", I still can't think of a time when they were really one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

Closest they've ever been would have probably been in 1998 or the one time when they played in the SECCG (2005?).

They've played in the title game 3 times, but you're probably thinking of 2006 when they were pretty good.

Just like money has determined conference realignment, it also determines schedules. They don't play patsies once a year for the "practice" they do it because it's an extra home game that doesn't get taken up by a home-and-home with another good program.

As I mentioned, kickoff classics are starting to make a comeback, and I think you're going to see three or four hosting SEC teams on a yearly basis with ranked matchups, at Texas Stadium, the Georgia Dome, somewhere in Florida, etc.

If it ends up missouri, one could argue the Edward jones dome would also be a site

NC St would give you...I guess the panthers stadium (I don't know its name).
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Despite the division "titles", I still can't think of a time when they were really one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

2006 is the only time I think you could make an argument for. Even then, it was really more of a 2a. and 2b. situation tied with LSU, behind Florida. I think Arky and LSU played a damn tight game at the end of the season there.

2006 is the only time I think you could make an argument for. Even then, it was really more of a 2a. and 2b. situation tied with LSU, behind Florida. I think Arky and LSU played a damn tight game at the end of the season there.
Too lazy to look it up, but I think LSU ended up with the better record that year. Arkansas has had a way of crapping out at the end of the year when they have good teams.

'98 would have to be the closest, and that year they didn't even play in the SECCG.

The thing was that back then the west was so much weaker than the east that Tennessee, Florida and maybe even UGA were better than Arkansas in 1998.

I did look it up, it was three straight losses to end the year, against LSU, Florida and a three point loss to Wisconsin in their bowl game. It was a top ten matchup when they played, and tight... LSU did get one more win on the season, but Arkansas had USC on the schedule, who finished #4 overall, and a better conference record.

I wouldn't have any problem with anybody saying LSU was the 2nd best team in the conference that year, just saying there's an argument to be made Arkansas was right there.

I suspect that Slive is making a huge behind the scenes push to bring in Va Tech for 2012 as well.
- 13 isn't a permanent number. SEC might never go to 16, but we won't play with an odd number for long, if at all.
- I'm sure Slive would much prefer to add a team in the east rather than the west so that divisions don't get messed up
- FSU, Clemson, and Ga Tech are going to get blocked and don't open any new tv markets
- Too many ACC ties to make a run at NC State
- SEC doesn't want WVU or Maryland
- Va Tech apparently isn't thrilled with all of the Big East teams coming into the ACC

The big thing, though, is that all this will be done in quiet. Compare aTm's exit to Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big12, and to Syracuse/Pitt's moves to the ACC. The most effective moves and cleanest breaks are the ones that nobody hears anything about until they're already done. If we never hear anything about SEC/VaTech talks, I suspect it's because we couldn't convince them to come. But I'd bet anything Slive is going after them hard right now.

If they can't win anything in the Big 12, what makes you think they will in the SEC?

They are slowly putting back together. A&M had a good program going through the 80s and 90s, and they have tremendous resources and fan support. Their recruiting will pick up now I believe given that they are the only SEC school in Texas. Sleeping giant is how I would characterize them.

Didn't that conference just pass a vote that teams would have to pay like 20 million to leave?
Im talking about VaTech.

I suspect that Slive is making a huge behind the scenes push to bring in Va Tech for 2012 as well.
- 13 isn't a permanent number. SEC might never go to 16, but we won't play with an odd number for long, if at all.
- I'm sure Slive would much prefer to add a team in the east rather than the west so that divisions don't get messed up
- FSU, Clemson, and Ga Tech are going to get blocked and don't open any new tv markets
- Too many ACC ties to make a run at NC State
- SEC doesn't want WVU or Maryland
- Va Tech apparently isn't thrilled with all of the Big East teams coming into the ACC

The big thing, though, is that all this will be done in quiet. Compare aTm's exit to Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big12, and to Syracuse/Pitt's moves to the ACC. The most effective moves and cleanest breaks are the ones that nobody hears anything about until they're already done. If we never hear anything about SEC/VaTech talks, I suspect it's because we couldn't convince them to come. But I'd bet anything Slive is going after them hard right now.
For the life of me I can't figure out what it is that Va Tech would bring to the table.

Didn't that conference just pass a vote that teams would have to pay like 20 million to leave?
Im talking about VaTech.

It was 17M before the vote and the basketball schools wanted it to go to 34M. So the modest rise to 20M means some of the football schools are keeping their options open. FSU was supposedly the one that was the most vocal about keeping it at 20 but also 2 other schools that weren't name in the article.

http://mrsec.com/2011/09/fsu-negotiated-down-the-accs-new-exit-fee/

For the life of me I can't figure out what it is that Va Tech would bring to the table.

Not only that, but they've been the best program in their own conference. I only see VaTech bolting if the money in the SEC would be significantly greater, which I doubt.

Reactions: 1 person
They are slowly putting back together. A&M had a good program going through the 80s and 90s, and they have tremendous resources and fan support. Their recruiting will pick up now I believe given that they are the only SEC school in Texas. Sleeping giant is how I would characterize them.

1-9 in their last 10 bowl games and one top 25 finish since 1999. Strong.

VN Store

Back