A&M officially a member of the SEC

Were these presidents really dumb enough to vote in an odd member without a 14th securely in the bag?

It's looking more and more that way.

The SEC is interested in Missouri but not Oklahoma. This has nothing to do with the quality of football a team plays.

If you look at WaPo, they're the third team listed, after Maryland and Virginia.

College Sports: DC, Maryland & Virginia College Sports News - The Washington Post

That's listed by geographical distance. Virginia Tech has an undergrad enrollment of ~10,000 higher than Virginia. I ran into far more Hokies than UVA alums when I lived up there.

No question that Maryland has more alums in the area than anybody, considering that the campus is inside the Beltway. But VPI has to be second.

I would assume VPI would be a lot easier to pry out of the ACC than Maryland, considering that they don't give a crap about basketball.

The SEC is interested in Missouri but not Oklahoma. This has nothing to do with the quality of football a team plays.

This is kinda misleading. If the SEC could take Oklahoma, they already would've. The SEC can't take just Oklahoma though. So it's not so much Mizzou>OU, but more Mizzou>OU+OSU

This is kinda misleading. If the SEC could take Oklahoma, they already would've. The SEC can't take just Oklahoma though. So it's not so much Mizzou>OU, but more Mizzou>OU+OSU

It has been widely reported that there's no mutual interest at all between Oklahoma and the SEC. They're insignificant from a television standpoint, which is all that matters.

It has been widely reported that there's no mutual interest at all between Oklahoma and the SEC. They're insignificant from a television standpoint, which is all that matters.

To me, a C-USA school like Houston would even make more sense than Oklahoma.

To me, a C-USA school like Houston would even make more sense than Oklahoma.

Oklahoma City isn't much bigger a TV market than Knoxville. Makes no sense at all if, as is the case, adding TV sets is the only purpose driving expansion.

Closest they've ever been would have probably been in 1998 or the one time when they played in the SECCG (2005?).
They've played in the SECCG twice, I believe. In 2002 they were the 2nd best team in the division but Bama wasn't allowed to play in the title game. The other time they played in the title game is 2006 and they weren't better than LSU.

Arkansas all-time record against the SEC is actually only a couple points worse than against the current alignment of the Big XII (About .500 against the Big XII, about .470 or something IIRC against the SEC), and they've been winning the SEC west at about the same clip at which they were winning the SWC. They were pretty good from Broyles through Ken Hatfield, but as GA said, the program was having serious issues well before the SWC fell apart and they joined the SEC, which was more coincidental rather than them struggling after joining a new conference.
That's not really the same thing, though.

And they've only had the best record in the West twice since joining the SEC. They won 4 SWC titles in the same amount of time.

Florida currently has the same advantage in their state, and can still pull really good recruits even with 7-5 type seasons. Texas produces as much talent as Florida does, and recruits know playing in the SEC will get them strong looks from the NFL.

Those kids want to play for Texas, and I doubt that changes. A&M is just 2nd tier in the state. It's a different situation than Florida.

VN Store

Back