Beating Fla. in 2007.........

not to be a "negavol" but how many times has UT had the personnel advantage over UF and it has meant absolutely nothing?

Unfortuantely, very true. But being a posivol, it will mean victory for UT this year...

Doesn't matter how many starters they lose... they have outstanding young talent and a coaching staff that knows how to get the most out of it.

We may have an advantage on paper, but we did in 2005, 2002, 1997, etc. etc. also. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Meyer has not yet lost a game in the swamp.

To beat the gators, we'll have to play outstanding defense, including:
- grow a couple of rock solid tackles to prevent the Teblow left/right for 4-5 a pop (I'm worried about this one...)
- get a real headhunter mentality into all of our defense to blow up their mickey mouse spread option... if we really REALLY bring the pain on some crosses, option pitches, etc., it will get into their head
- I think we should play press coverage at the line, similar to what Ark did to us this year, they got into our head with that physicality
- let me reiterate, our defense has to get full out NASTY and with attitude

Doesn't matter how many starters they lose... they have outstanding young talent and a coaching staff that knows how to get the most out of it.

We may have an advantage on paper, but we did in 2005, 2002, 1997, etc. etc. also. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but Meyer has not yet lost a game in the swamp.

To beat the gators, we'll have to play outstanding defense, including:
- grow a couple of rock solid tackles to prevent the Teblow left/right for 4-5 a pop (I'm worried about this one...)
- get a real headhunter mentality into all of our defense to blow up their mickey mouse spread option... if we really REALLY bring the pain on some crosses, option pitches, etc., it will get into their head
- I think we should play press coverage at the line, similar to what Ark did to us this year, they got into our head with that physicality
- let me reiterate, our defense has to get full out NASTY and with attitude

I agree with all of this. We will need Chief to get some attitude going. Us against the world mentality...

You still have not answered my question.

Nearly 1/3 of that total came in two games (PSU and Memphis). TE's only caught 5 balls balls the first three games of the year. I know we could have used them more in the Florida game for certain (-11 yards rushing). The loss of Bret Smith in the bowl game probably forced us to use the TE's more than normal in that game.

Nearly 1/3 of that total came in two games (PSU and Memphis). TE's only caught 5 balls balls the first three games of the year. I know we could have used them more in the Florida game for certain (-11 yards rushing). The loss of Bret Smith in the bowl game probably forced us to use the TE's more than normal in that game.

We had 3 very good receivers to pass to, so we didn't need to throw to the TE's very much. Why go to the tight end when you have 3 better options? When Bret Smith was out for the Penn State game, Chris Brown had 7 catches, and Cottam added another. That is the very definition of utilizing the tight end.

We had 3 very good receivers to pass to, so we didn't need to throw to the TE's very much. Why go to the tight end when you have 3 better options? When Bret Smith was out for the Penn State game, Chris Brown had 7 catches, and Cottam added another. That is the very definition of utilizing the tight end.

Memphis and Penn State (out of neccesity) were really the only games where they were really used.

UT had some pretty good receivers when Jason Witten was there, and he was till thrown to a lot.

Of course they will run it next year.

I guess I've lost some faith in Chief. We are constantly caught with misdirection plays because we over persue and we don't play disciplined defense. Tackling has gotten better this year, but still could be better, imo. The excuse about not seeing the option that often is pretty lame. It's not like the option is a new offense. Heck, doesn't seem like 7 other teams had trouble stopping the option against Air Force (8 losses total).

We made them look like a BCS team.

I guess I've lost some faith in Chief. We are constantly caught with misdirection plays because we over persue and we don't play disciplined defense. Tackling has gotten better this year, but still could be better, imo. The excuse about not seeing the option that often is pretty lame. It's not like the option is a new offense. Heck, doesn't seem like 7 other teams had trouble stopping the option against Air Force (8 losses total).

We made them look like a BCS team.

i agree, our defense has to improve alot. chavis telling the fans they will doesn't give me much hope.

i agree, our defense has to improve alot. chavis telling the fans they will doesn't give me much hope.

The most discouraging part about that game is that we should have been in control of that game. We had better talent. But we didn't get the guys prepared on defense (that's coaching, folks). Had we taken care of business, we probably don't have Justin Harrell and Inky Johnson injured late in the game. Maybe...

UT had some pretty good receivers when Jason Witten was there, and he was till thrown to a lot.

Not really. Witten caught 39 passes his Junior year, and this year Chris Brown caught 31 passes.

Difference is Witten is a lot better than Chris Brown. That's why he got the ball a little more, and that's why he was able to do a lot more with it.

Memphis and Penn State (out of neccesity) were really the only games where they were really used.

Again, why throw to a less talented player when you have 3 better options? Do you want to take away catches from Meachem, Swain, or Smith? Of course not. When the tight ends were needed, the tight ends were used. That IS utilizing.

Like it or not, the Vols get the best shot from everyone they play. UT was AF's first game of the year - they had been hitting orange jerseys in practice for months. They played the best game of their year right there - like UT against our first opponent some would say.

I don't put much stock in the AF game and how it would be a predictor of how we play against FL. I expect FL to run alot of option style plays this year. I just hope and expect we defend it better than we did last year against AF and AR.

Again, why throw to a less talented player when you have 3 better options? Do you want to take away catches from Meachem, Swain, or Smith? Of course not. When the tight ends were needed, the tight ends were used. That IS utilizing.

Just to add on to this a little...

Only one tight end in the SEC had more catches than Chris Brown this year.

So I guess 11 out of the 12 SEC teams are "under-utilizing" the tight end position.

I don't put much stock in the AF game and how it would be a predictor of how we play against FL. I expect FL to run alot of option style plays this year. I just hope and expect we defend it better than we did last year against AF and AR.

All you have to do is run some misdirection plays (reverses with Harvin) and we'll over persue... or run the option and we'll have Tebow running for 8 yard gains on us. I don't see where you are getting your optimism about us stopping their offense when it seemed like from Chavis' comments before and after that game indicated an almost apathetic tone about preparing for the option.

You can sacrifice a few screen passes and mix in a few more plays for the TE... you'll probably get the same or better results.

At the very minimum, the tight end would help us realize that there is a middle of the field for use in the passing game

All you have to do is run some misdirection plays (reverses with Harvin) and we'll over persue... or run the option and we'll have Tebow running for 8 yard gains on us. I don't see where you are getting your optimism about us stopping their offense when it seemed like from Chavis' comments before and after that game indicated an almost apathetic tone about preparing for the option.

My optimism comes from the fact that last year is over. We will have more servicable depth at positions that hurt us last year. And I have faith in Chief to get the troops ready - his track record is awesome.

When you have potentially the best WR trio in the nation, you don't throw it to the tight end much. There is nothing wrong with that. If the WRs aren't as stellar next year, we will use the TE more.

I imagine the TE's stayed in to pass block. If you watch that game, you'll see that was where they were needed most.

And I have faith in Chief to get the troops ready - his track record is awesome.

Chavis' track record stopping game winning 4th quarter drives isn't anything to brag about. They stopped AF's 2 pt conversion, but they couldn't stop UF and they let LSU get away with a 4th and very long.

Chavis' defense is losing it's ability to win close games. you can use all the excuses you want, injuries, fatigue, etc. but adversity should bring out the best in a great, or even good defensive unit.

VN Store

Back