Vols Chances in 2007

With a good coach, all the talent we will have next year i say nothing less than playing for a N.C.

I guess well see if the round belly ball coach is good or not.

If your decision is based on us playing for a NC next year, you need to realize the answer is already in.

Why can't we do well? We have an easier schedule. Cal won't be as good without Lynch. We will beat southern miss, at UF will be a very hard game, well beat NIU without wolfe, UCF sucks, Georgia is NOT on the way up and its at home- thats a W, at Miss St? Please. At Bama will be tough but its def a winnable game just like 2005. We will beat South Carolina at home. Arkansas will be tough if they replicate this year which i doubt. Then Vandy and Ark? please thats 11-1, maybe 10-2. SEC Championship if UF doesnt go.

Didn't UGA just beat 3 ranked teams back to back to back, and thump the # 1 ranked D in the 2nd half of the Chicken Bowl? Beat AU, beat GT, beat VT in their last 3. We beat Vandy, KY barely, and looked pitiful against unranked PSU.

We've already been through the "GA is on the way up" thing in another thread. I still think it's a stretch.

I really am tired of how a bad bowl game can completely blind some people.

--Tons of talent (top 5 recruiting class 2004)
--Returning nearly every one in the trenches
--Legit gamebreakers in Meach (if back) and Coker
--An experienced, smart Senior quarterback

I don't care which game it is. When you have an experienced, smart QB, we can win any game.
--a lot of which is no longer even on campus or has been a bust.
--i am failing to see how that's an advantage at this moment?
--doubtful that meach is back. Coker should be OK thought.
--agree.

Didn't UGA just beat 3 ranked teams back to back to back, and thump the # 1 ranked D in the 2nd half of the Chicken Bowl? Beat AU, beat GT, beat VT in their last 3. We beat Vandy, KY barely, and looked pitiful against unranked PSU.

Youre saying we couldnt have beaten the Ramblin Wreck at home? It wouldnt have been even close. Plus we barely beat UK, who dominated Clemson, who dominated GT and VT. If you want to argue symantecs we can do it all day. I hate comparing wins with other non related wins, but if we do that, we could beat a lot of teams.

And dont come back with, UK only beat Clemson 28-20, because if you watched that game it should have been 35-12 in all honesty.

Sorry for rambling, but in the "Chicken Bowl", UGA basically had a homefield advantage, whereas PSU had a virtual homefield advantage. I was at the game and it was pathetic how awful our fans were. PSU fans were up the whole game, raining or not, leading or not. They had 3 sections of students, we had none. No offense to any of you older gents, but our fan base looks pretty old judging from that game...quiet and complaining

o cmon, we still have realistic shots at the SEC Championship and the NC with our talent. Its not like we were blown out 4 times this year.

We have ZERO chance of winning the SEC Championship or national championship next year. Furthermore, if Fulmer is still the head coach 10 years from now, we will not have won a single SEC championship from now until that time. We are a mid-tier SEC team heading downward.

I really am tired of how a bad bowl game can completely blind some people.

--Returning nearly every one in the trenches
quote]

It's interesting how ANYONE could consider this a good thing. Our offensive line was atrocious this season, but at least they were better than our defensive line.

We have ZERO chance of winning the SEC Championship or national championship next year. Furthermore, if Fulmer is still the head coach 10 years from now, we will not have won a single SEC championship from now until that time. We are a mid-tier SEC team heading downward.
Someone needs to buy South Carolina and Kentucky some hard hats. I'd hate for them to be injured by falling pieces of UT's football reputation.

--a lot of which is no longer even on campus or has been a bust.
--i am failing to see how that's an advantage at this moment?
--doubtful that meach is back. Coker should be OK thought.
--agree.

I'm glad to see that someone else picked up on that point.

Someone needs to buy South Carolina and Kentucky some hard hats. I'd hate for them to be injured by falling pieces of UT's football reputation.

Maybe we can pass a hat around for donations. However, I'm more concerned for Vanderbilt than South Carolina. :)

Not great as long as we keep playing with uninspired offensive play calling, the defense backs hanging 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on third and fives, and a coach who only seems to get excited when he claps for the other team's good fortune. I just don't see a miraculous change any time soon, and that is what it will take.

Sorry for rambling, but in the "Chicken Bowl", UGA basically had a homefield advantage, whereas PSU had a virtual homefield advantage. I was at the game and it was pathetic how awful our fans were. PSU fans were up the whole game, raining or not, leading or not. They had 3 sections of students, we had none. No offense to any of you older gents, but our fan base looks pretty old judging from that game...quiet and complaining

Students are probably starting to realize that Fulmer hasn't won a significant home game in six years. Possibly more. Cal in 2006 and Florida in 2004 are the only games of even minor relevance that have been won in Neyland recently (although the UF game was handed to us by the officials). Meanwhile, Bruce Pearl is playing the role of giant killer to huge programs like Memphis, Texas, Kentucky, and Florida in Thompson-Boling Arena.

Basically, I can understand the apathy students feel for football.

I said last season the we would probably go 10-2 with the only losses we have being LSU and Florida....Who knew that Arkansas was going to have the year they had and when Harrell got hurt our run D the rest of the year was bend but don't break.....

In the 07 season I see us going either 11-1 or 10-2 with possible losses to Florida and Arkansas....I would have said Cal but Lynch is going Pro which helps us out....Our young WR's have to step up in the Spring and transition that to the Fall and with Trooper as the coach I think they will do that.

Wow come on people 9-4 is sure a hell of alot better then 5-6(although we shouldnt have gotten that bad) I think 90% of you would still be upset and find something to cry about if we went 10-3. We went through alot of struggles this year,losing inky and harrel....losing ainge for the LSU ARKY games, who knows how them wouldve went if he was their. I mean we lost by a total of 5 points to lsu and fl. Arky is only regular season game we got crushed, and penn state...WE JUST WERENT PREPARED. We have alot to bulid off of, we have the #3 class in the nation this year Ainge coming back,hopefully meach, coker......a more experianced defense, if we survive the swamp nex year we have a legitimate shot at the SECcg and maybe even NT game. i mean come on people 9-4 in the SEC is like going 11-2 in any other conf. (thats no excuse but still) i think if fulmer cant AT least pull together a 10 win season next year then we need tolook elsewhere, esp. with the talent we got coming back and the talent we are getting.

Wow come on people 9-4 is sure a hell of alot better then 5-6(although we shouldnt have gotten that bad) I think 90% of you would still be upset and find something to cry about if we went 10-3. We went through alot of struggles this year,losing inky and harrel....losing ainge for the LSU ARKY games, who knows how them wouldve went if he was their. I mean we lost by a total of 5 points to lsu and fl. Arky is only regular season game we got crushed, and penn state...WE JUST WERENT PREPARED. We have alot to bulid off of, we have the #3 class in the nation this year Ainge coming back,hopefully meach, coker......a more experianced defense, if we survive the swamp nex year we have a legitimate shot at the SECcg and maybe even NT game. i mean come on people 9-4 in the SEC is like going 11-2 in any other conf. (thats no excuse but still) i think if fulmer cant AT least pull together a 10 win season next year then we need tolook elsewhere, esp. with the talent we got coming back and the talent we are getting.
i agree with everything in your post. but that right there is why people are so pissed off. losing the way we lost just sucked. we beat ourselves and played poorly on top of it. We all know what are weaknesses were/are and we all knew what improvements had been made over 2005. and the injuries can't be ignored either....all that i agree with.

but that one statement: WE WERE NOT PREPARED sums up the entire sentiment about the 06 season. 10-3 with a NYD bowl win, while not making our season really any better would have been a great way to end an otherwise nice step forward from the debacle of 05. as sated, we knew we weren't quite there yet, but up until Monday, most were excited about the future.

then Monday happens, and it's a big fat dose of reality, that we aren't as close as we may have thought and a big reason why is that WE WERE NOT PREPARED. that's a tough pill to swallow given how this team played thruout most of the season. We got worse, not better, and there wasn't EA sitting on the sideline w/an ankle injury, Coker wasn't hurt, Meach is still here...yada, yada, yada....so what was it this time??????????

So, i'm not discounting what was done during the season, nor am i discounting the reasons we lost the games we lost during the regular season.

But i'm also not going to discount what happened in the Bowl game either. 1 month to prepare, and we weren't. you said it all.

Students are probably starting to realize that Fulmer hasn't won a significant home game in six years. Possibly more. Cal in 2006 and Florida in 2004 are the only games of even minor relevance that have been won in Neyland recently (although the UF game was handed to us by the officials). Meanwhile, Bruce Pearl is playing the role of giant killer to huge programs like Memphis, Texas, Kentucky, and Florida in Thompson-Boling Arena.

Basically, I can understand the apathy students feel for football.

No, KPT, the students have a much better outlook than anyone on this board. No one is calling for Fulmer's head, most have faith in him, and the ones that don't are sane enough to realize that it is going to be incredibly hard to replace him with someone better. The students go down to UGA, the Swamp, and Tuscaloosa. It was an abberation in Tampa, most likely because of the 11 am kickoff on New Year's Day. It tough for students, let alone players to get excited for that kind of game against an inferior opponent. No coach can make his kids excited for getting up at 8 am. Sorry guys.

i disagree with you UTLCA. the PSU upset wasn't an aberration... it has happened multiple times in the fulmer reign. from the outside looking in, you guys could easily find a better coach. fulmer is a good recruiter, but, much like zook, he underachieves with his talent. UT should be blowing teams out of the water by pure talent alone... i think it would be best for the university of fulmer is replaced, honestly.

No, KPT, the students have a much better outlook than anyone on this board. No one is calling for Fulmer's head, most have faith in him, and the ones that don't are sane enough to realize that it is going to be incredibly hard to replace him with someone better. The students go down to UGA, the Swamp, and Tuscaloosa. It was an abberation in Tampa, most likely because of the 11 am kickoff on New Year's Day. It tough for students, let alone players to get excited for that kind of game against an inferior opponent. No coach can make his kids excited for getting up at 8 am. Sorry guys.
i guess PSU fans and players didn't get that memo???
this may be the most ridiculous post of the day, and it's still early.

i disagree with you UTLCA. the PSU upset wasn't an aberration... it has happened multiple times in the fulmer reign. from the outside looking in, you guys could easily find a better coach. fulmer is a good recruiter, but, much like zook, he underachieves with his talent. UT should be blowing teams out of the water by pure talent alone... i think it would be best for the university of fulmer is replaced, honestly.
my agreeing with you about recent performance not withstanding, you speak of the guy like he hasn't done anything. comparing his career to zook's careeer is at best ridiculous.

my agreeing with you about recent performance not withstanding, you speak of the guy like he hasn't done anything. comparing his career to zook's careeer is at best ridiculous.

i didn't get that from his post at all. I think he's dead on. Just that fulmer pulled it off one year a long time ago and gets revered for that. Biggest difference is Zook has had only a few years to show for his cause. Bottom line is that both bring in highly touted recruiting classes and have nothing to show for them.

No, you overlooked the point of my argument jake, they pulled what is known as an UPSET. We played lax because we thought we could beat them with minimal effort. The memo that PSU fans got was that this was a prime game for an upset and they took advantage of it. And I don't want domer commenting on the state of our program when Weis is pretty much just a fatter version of Fulmer.

VN Store

Back