Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Long time lurker, man, I can't even remember the last time I've even posted on here! BUT if Trilly donovan or Skim milkey are saying something, its legit, tbh.

For those of you that don't know, Trilly donovan is a "burner account" for an actual men's hoops insider. Skim is his women's version. Seems like They are usually aware of things days, weeks, months before they happen. Anything could happen, but they are very legit.

Reactions: Will83 and berryvol
Sounds like several are ready to criticize OUR next coach no matter who it is.
I hope UT gets a coach that will be very successful here but I’m not sure the forum members deserve one. JMO

The good old classic “hope the next coach sucks so I can say SEE I TOLD YOU NOT TO FIRE the last one” approach. I don’t remember the poster, but someone said it best that it seems many are Pat Summit fans (and by extension Kellie) and not actual Lady Vol fans. Pretty rich, given the competitor and champion that Pat Summit was.

I'm not sure what your problem is. You seem to be set on hoping that the coaching search is a failure because of your bias against DW, Heupel, Vitello, etc. I mean, do you only have grudges against coaches that succeed? I'm confused lol

I can 100% assure you that DW is not and has not been in scramble mode. This was all planned and has been planned for a good amount of time barring a miraculous run in the tournament. Kellie also had a good feeling about it as well. He has been ranked as one of the best AD's in the country year in and year out.

I love Kellie. She's a great person and I know no one that dislikes her, HOWEVER this is about winning and succeeding. She didn't do that to the degree that Tennessee and the Lady Vols require and necessitate. I think I speak for the VAST majority of VFLs when I say that we just want to win.

I understand that you seem to sit on some kind of moral high ground while espousing ethics, morals, and class, but your definition is vastly different from what the majority of sports fans would subscribe to. Smoking cigars, celebrating, getting into it with opposing fans, etc. aren't trademarks of a bad person. They're trademarks of a competitive person.

If you want a pastor then go to church. I want a coach.
Not the point that he won't eventually hire a good coach. The problem is quickly becoming what she will see when she or he gets here. I don't care how great they are they are not going to do any better with this roster minus Rickea and Jasmine than Kellie did. If it is all about winning now need someone that can bring players now either through the portal or some other way. If that doesn't happen then next season is going to be an ugly one and we may not make the NCAA for the very first time.

Going to happen either way no matter. There isn't a coach coaching that won't get it and that would include Mulkey and Geno. Dawn would get the least of all she would be a 95 percent accepted hire cause you know your going up real fast.
Exactly. Just from this board, you can see that everyone has an opinion on who would be the best coach. Unfortunately, you have people that are hurt that probably won’t like the hire at first too. Hope they’ll eventually get on board at some point. If not, I think Danny said once to “call a friend and talk to them,” right?

I couldn’t disagree more. This has been on Danny’s radar since the Ohio State loss in early December and probably escalated to a multiple 🚨 fire in the next game against MTSU when we were 4-5 on the season. Again, there’s nothing to suggest he’s in scramble mode. Of course time is of the essence now, but it’s been four days since he fired her. The fact there’s been no leaks or hire tells you this is going outside the Lady Vol tree, (which is good). Hiring a good coach, that’s not connected to the program takes time. It took KY two weeks and they landed a huge fish. We are good.

The Lady Vol coaching tree has a lot of weak limbs--always has.

I'm not sure what your problem is. You seem to be set on hoping that the coaching search is a failure because of your bias against DW, Heupel, Vitello, etc. I mean, do you only have grudges against coaches that succeed? I'm confused lol

I can 100% assure you that DW is not and has not been in scramble mode. This was all planned and has been planned for a good amount of time barring a miraculous run in the tournament. Kellie also had a good feeling about it as well. He has been ranked as one of the best AD's in the country year in and year out.

I love Kellie. She's a great person and I know no one that dislikes her, HOWEVER this is about winning and succeeding. She didn't do that to the degree that Tennessee and the Lady Vols require and necessitate. I think I speak for the VAST majority of VFLs when I say that we just want to win.

I understand that you seem to sit on some kind of moral high ground while espousing ethics, morals, and class, but your definition is vastly different from what the majority of sports fans would subscribe to. Smoking cigars, celebrating, getting into it with opposing fans, etc. aren't trademarks of a bad person. They're trademarks of a competitive person.

If you want a pastor then go to church. I want a coach.

Since Lucy was dovetailing on my post, let me clarify that I certainly do not want the search to be a failure. Quite the contrary.

However I, like Lucy, have been sparring (in good fun) with those who have proclaimed that Tennessee is the most desirable job in WCBB and that White had a big fish on the hook waiting to take the LV program back to the promise land.

Now, it is possible that White and the UTAD are keeping it all close to the vest and they will soon announce the earth shaking, game changing, hire. If so, I will be the first to say "well-played."

If we get a Molly Miller type, I will be "all in" for the new coach but you will never convince me that such a move is the outcome of a grand vision, years in the making, executed to perfection.

Last edited:
The good old classic “hope the next coach sucks so I can say SEE I TOLD YOU NOT TO FIRE the last one” approach. I don’t remember the poster, but someone said it best that it seems many are Pat Summit fans (and by extension Kellie) and not actual Lady Vol fans. Pretty rich, given the competitor and champion that Pat Summit was.

Me, that was me lol.

Saw where it was going to be by the middle of next week so that is ok if the new coach can get in here and go to work and get the players we need before someone else gets them.

Reactions: spojo13
Since Lucy was dovetailing on my post, let me clarify that I certainly do not want the search to be a failure. Quite the contrary.

However I, like Lucy, have been sparring (in good fun) with those who have proclaimed that Tennessee is the most desirable job in WCBB and that White had a big fish on the hook waiting to take the LV program back to the promise land.

Now, It is possible that White and the UTAD are keeping it all close to the vest and they will soon announce the earth shaking, game changing, hire. will be the first to say "well-played."

If we get a Molly Miller type, I will be "all in" for the new coach but you will never convince me that suich a hire is the outcome of a grand vision, years in the making, executed to perfection.
I agree, but we're not getting a Molly Miller hire. We're also not getting Dawn Staley. What I'm saying is that Lucy and others are setting themselves up for failure by saying "Earth shaking, groundbreaking, game changing hire". I mean I'm not sure any hire would measure up to that unless it's Dawn, which isn't happening, or Becky Hammon. I'm not saying Becky is out, but I doubt she's in. With only two coaches that really fit that criteria, that makes the odds of you being disappointed very high lol

Saw where it was going to be by the middle of next week so that is ok if the new coach can get in here and go to work and get the players we need before someone else gets them.
I mentioned this in another thread, but the fact that none of the current players have hit the portal yet for some reason tells me that they have been told of a timeline. Maybe I’m absolutely wrong, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry to get in the portal and start taking offers,

I agree, but we're not getting a Molly Miller hire. We're also not getting Dawn Staley. What I'm saying is that Lucy and others are setting themselves up for failure by saying "Earth shaking, groundbreaking, game changing hire". I mean I'm not sure any hire would measure up to that unless it's Dawn, which isn't happening, or Becky Hammon. I'm not saying Becky is out, but I doubt she's in. With only two coaches that really fit that criteria, that makes the odds of you being disappointed very high lol

They aren’t setting themselves up for failure they are trying to set it up to make it look like Danny failed by firing Kellie if he doesn’t hire Dawn or Geno.

Now, It is possible that White and the UTAD are keeping it all close to the vest and they will soon announce the earth shaking, game changing, hire. If so, I will be the first to say "well-played."

If we get a Molly Miller type, I will be "all in" for the new coach but you will never convince me that such a move is the outcome of a grand vision, years in the making, executed to perfection.
Tennessee is a top 10 hire period but like everything else it's about fit and it's about results. Someone like the GCU coach or the Marshall coach just doesn't have the results. No one knows anything because White isn't talking and he has proven so far he knows who to hire except for soccer.

Now, It is possible that White and the UTAD are keeping it all close to the vest and they will soon announce the earth shaking, game changing, hire. If so, I will be the first to say "well-played."

Yall just told on yourself….

Truth is out: you don’t think Tennessee is the most desirable job in women’s basketball. Show yourself to the 🚪

Jeff Walz should be a level above OU’s coach, imo. One is proven, and one has potential.
It is whoever can recruit players and none of them other than Gottlieb has been doing that well lately. Walz team talent has dropped so much at Louisville that he lost to Middle Tennessee in the NCAA and was only 12 and 6 in ACC play. So he brings nothing if he can't recruit players and he has lost more than he has won in the last three seasons including HVL and the star player at Oklahoma.

Tennessee is a top 10 hire period but like everything else it's about fit and it's about results. Someone like the GCU coach or the Marshall coach just doesn't have the results. No one knows anything because White isn't talking and he has proven so far he knows who to hire except for soccer.

Danny doesn't understand soccer.

Actually, the USA doesn't understand soccer.........."KICK IT"

Lucy never said that. She is saying that others have been saying that. Those who are expecting Becky Hammon (and let me add, the record of WNBA coaches transitioning to successful college coaches is not that great) or Dawn Staley types are the ones who are setting the stage to again start carping against the new coach from day one.

What I want (and I think the same may hold for Lucy) is that the new hire is a clear upgrade over Kellie (based on her resume at Tennessee) and not a lateral move where you have to cherry pick the record to make it seem like a clear cut upgrade (i.e. a Kara Lawson type).

But again, I assure you, I am a LV first type of guy and I will be a booster of the new coach.

It is whoever can recruit players and none of them other than Gottlieb has been doing that well lately. Walz team talent has dropped so much at Louisville that he lost to Middle Tennessee in the NCAA and was only 12 and 6 in ACC play. So he brings nothing if he can't recruit players and he has lost more than he has won in the last three seasons including HVL and the star player at Oklahoma.
I agree with u, I don’t know why people want him so bad. I don’t think he brings in a championship ever. I’ll take Gottlieb as my 1st choice.

VN Store

Back