Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I mentioned this in another thread, but the fact that none of the current players have hit the portal yet for some reason tells me that they have been told of a timeline. Maybe I’m absolutely wrong, but they don’t seem to be in a hurry to get in the portal and start taking offers,

Cue up the firing squad bc I’m going to take 🔥 for saying this…

I think there are some on our team praying the new coach keeps them. I’m not certain our entire roster would get picked up by P5 schools IF they hit the portal.

Tennessee today is a Top 5 WBB program. This coaching search and the spotlight it has held in social/sports media without one coach that has interviewed being leaked or confirmed shows just how big the stakes are. This announcement is going to literally and figuratively do numbers!!!!

Don’t shoot the messenger. I still feel like we have a fighting chance at the first choice, and very few would be let down. If it slides, we’ll be in the zone of some contingent not being happy. Let it play out and remember White usually does well with picking the right stocks.

I know it is gospel on this board that Danny White is playing three-dimensional chess while us mere mortals are staring slack jawed at the checker board but I shall speak some blasphemy.

It sure is not looking like he had that "big fish" on the hook before he fired Kellie. I suppose some will indignantly post that White is waiting for the tournament to end. Bless your hearts and I promise to eat my hat if Dawn Staley is wearing orange next season.

And now the UTAD is scouring across a set of potentially past their prime, name head coaches with heavy baggage (and pricey buyout clauses) and moderately successful mid major coaches that you have to hope can make a big jump when they take over the program.

That scenario is not screaming "BRILLIANT" strategic mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I will again say that this search seems to be in a scramble mode--fire first and ask questions later may not have been prudent.
You hurt me. You really hurt me.

because I think you are point on……

I hope you are wrong; I fear you are not.

Don’t shoot the messenger. I still feel like we have a fighting chance at the first choice, and very few would be let down. If it slides, we’ll be in the zone of some contingent not being happy. Let it play out and remember White usually does well with picking the right stocks.
Im assuming the former LV is Kara..... if you get here, im not sure her resume is any better than what Kelly's was when she was hired.

I will join hands with @madtownvol and sing Kumbaya to the program if Kara ends up as coach. I’m not buying that. I don’t see DW axeing one former Lady Vol for another (with a similar record over the last few years). He knows better, and we’ve been assured the LV mafia is dead.

So trillie dilly is correct and it’s Jeff Walz versus Kara Lawson at this point.

Yall just told on yourself….

Truth is out: you don’t think Tennessee is the most desirable job in women’s basketball. Show yourself to the 🚪

Hi coach, I am your genie and I will grant you this wish. You can have any of these WCBB head coaching jobs TODAY, with their current line-up. Oh one more detail, you will suffer the most painful death imaginable if you don't make the final four next season with the team you choose. What is your choice?

U of South Carolina
U of Connecticut
Notre Dame
U of South California
Stanford
LSU
Texas
Indiana
Tennessee

They aren’t setting themselves up for failure they are trying to set it up to make it look like Danny failed by firing Kellie if he doesn’t hire Dawn or Geno.
I just wish they had this same energy five years ago when it was clear Fulmer was hiring a mid-major coach. It lets me know the degree to which many fans glossed over Kellie’s overall body of work simply bc she was a LV alum. If not for her S16 run at Mo St, it would not have made any sense to hire her.

I don’t remember anyone saying, “if we’re gonna go the mid-major route, we should’ve kept Holly.”

Hi coach, I am your genie and I will grant you this wish. You can have any of these WCBB head coaching jobs TODAY, with their current line-up. Oh one more detail, you will suffer the most painful death imaginable if you don't make the final four next season with the team you choose. What is your choice?

U of South Carolina
U of Connecticut
Notre Dame
U of South California
Stanford
LSU
Texas
Indiana
Tennessee
Southern California is my choice and I’ll book my ticket to the final four.

So trillie dilly is correct and it’s Jeff Walz versus Kara Lawson at this point.
Truthfully, hes usually very VERY on top of this stuff. I'm sure there have been times he's been wrong, but if you check his twitter page, hes posting stuff in his discord about so and so hiring so and so, days in advance. Or week in advance, then the school or coach or espn reporter announces its a done deal. I kinda hope he's wrong on this one though.

Betting odds to be next Lady Vols coach
CoachCurrent TeamOdds
Kara LawsonDuke+300
Lindsay GottliebUSC+600
Wes MooreNC State+800
Teri MorenIndiana+900
Carla BerubePrinceton+1250
FieldN/a+1400
Scott RuekOregon State+1500
Lisa FortierGonzaga+1500
JR PayneColorado+1900
Lindy La RocqueUNLV+2000
Jeff WalzLouisville+2900

As of 4/3/2024 on BetTennessee.com

Reactions: HeadVol77 and Freak
Tennessee today is a Top 5 WBB program. This coaching search and the spotlight it has held in social/sports media without one coach that has interviewed being leaked or confirmed shows just how big the stakes are. This announcement is going to literally and figuratively do numbers!!!!

So the two insiders are on opposite ends of the spectrum with this.
I just wish they had this same energy five years ago when it was clear Fulmer was hiring a mid-major coach. It lets me know the degree to which many fans glossed over Kellie’s overall body of work simply bc she was a LV alum. If not for her S16 run at Mo St, it would not have made any sense to hire her.

I don’t remember anyone saying, “if we’re gonna go the mid-major route, we should’ve kept Holly.”

I did. No, really I did. I loved Holly

Reactions: ttharp

VN Store

Back