Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Here’s my daily update: Tennessee fans wanted a home run hire! I ask again what do you call the bases loaded with your designated hitter at the plate? A grand slam! The Tennessee athletic administration and AD are conducting the biggest women’s basketball search in this era. The numbers once made public are going to jump off the screen. Stay tuned!
well, I used to live in Missouri. They’ll have to show me.
Not doubting you, but you know what I mean.

I'm not sure what people are considering home run hires. lol If y'all are truly expecting Dawn to come to TN and leave the cushiest job in WBB, you're crazy. Yall have to realize the state of the program. We're going to have a great hire, but it's gonna have to be the best of the ones that show interest.

Reactions: UTtoDC
Take it with a grain of salt, but here's what I've heard from solid sources. DW is keeping things VERY close to the chest, so none of this will be groundbreaking information.

Kara is not happening and never was. Jennie Baranczyk has at least been contacted as has Lindsay Gottlieb although I don't know that interest is there for Lindsay with the class she has coming in. Wes Moore has been contacted although I don't know that the interest is there because he is very close with the Harpers, also his age is a factor. Brenda Frese is in contention, but will her baggage proceed her. Jeff Walz is in contention, but he has some of the same baggage as Brenda. I've heard nothing on Becky Hammon. This leads me to believe that the interest isn't there or she isn't too keen on recruiting.

I know that a LOT of interest has been there, but most of the interest is from successful mid major coaches or coaches coming off hot seasons that don't coach for a Power 5 school.

I expect early next week will the absolute latest we hear something.
I have been wondering more whether this could come down to Brenda or Jeff. Both have shown high levels of success at P5 schools, have been to multiple FFs and E8s, and unlike other possibilities, I think both want the job.

I doubt LV nation will be pleased about this given the history. For me, I’d have to go with Jeff between the two. The revolving transfers at MD are just not a good look.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Take it with a grain of salt, but here's what I've heard from solid sources. DW is keeping things VERY close to the chest, so none of this will be groundbreaking information.

Kara is not happening and never was. Jennie Baranczyk has at least been contacted as has Lindsay Gottlieb although I don't know that interest is there for Lindsay with the class she has coming in. Wes Moore has been contacted although I don't know that the interest is there because he is very close with the Harpers, also his age is a factor. Brenda Frese is in contention, but will her baggage proceed her. Jeff Walz is in contention, but he has some of the same baggage as Brenda. I've heard nothing on Becky Hammon. This leads me to believe that the interest isn't there or she isn't too keen on recruiting.

I know that a LOT of interest has been there, but most of the interest is from successful mid major coaches or coaches coming off hot seasons that don't coach for a Power 5 school.

I expect early next week will the absolute latest we hear something.
Jennie and Lindsey are the two names on just about every list. I am beginning to think Walz is women's basketball John Gruden. Frese has an 11 million buyout surely not going to play that. Wes Moore is the one it couldn't be announced until he is out of the tourney. The mid major bunch are Miller, the Marshall coach and have heard the guy at Belmont mentioned a couple of times. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is JB or LG guess we'll find out soon need to get in that portal.

Jeff’s buyout is 2 million. Plus he cushy gig at Louisville. 1.7 mill a year and has the option if he so decides to take an administrative role in the athletic department.

I'm not sure what people are considering home run hires. lol If y'all are truly expecting Dawn to come to TN and leave the cushiest job in WBB, you're crazy. Yall have to realize the state of the program. We're going to have a great hire, but it's gonna have to be the best of the ones that show interest.
I agree she isn’t coming, but that’s a cushy job because she is there. If she were here, it would be even more of a cushy job and she’d be richer and she wouldn’t have to worry about having Alex Murdaugh as a fan.

How are these home run hires 🙄
Inside the park homerun due to multiple throwing errors? However, I don’t believe these reports.
I think Walz would be a homerun hire though, based on basketball, not personality. Not a lot of options a with 3 final 4’s and 2 title games, in spite of his second round loss this year, which his critics love to point out. As of it erases his career.

Last edited:
Jennie and Lindsey are the two names on just about every list. I am beginning to think Walz is women's basketball John Gruden. Frese has an 11 million buyout surely not going to play that. Wes Moore is the one it couldn't be announced until he is out of the tourney. The mid major bunch are Miller, the Marshall coach and have heard the guy at Belmont mentioned a couple of times. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is JB or LG guess we'll find out soon need to get in that portal.
She does not have an 11mm buyout.

FWIW -- Jeff Walz is one hell of a coach. And recruiter. And builder of programs.

He is hard on his players, and pushes them. The interesting other side of that coin is that his players, almost to a woman, both love and respect him. (Reminds me of a former coach at Tennessee.)

He has built a solid, solid program here. If it weren’t for two really bad calls, he would probably have already won two NCs.

As someone who has watched his work since he came here, I would say Tennessee would be lucky to have him as the new coach.

The original post is authored by USC propaganda account. Gottlieb replied with two emoticons, one of which, a rocket, can be interpreted as agreement with the original post that says “The sky is the limit,” meaning, the USC program has unending potential for greatness. The other emoji is a peace sign. I don’t think Gottlieb has stated unequivocally that she’s staying or leaving. I have no idea if she’s staying or leaving, but I put my faith in straight-forward statements from the primary source, like “I am staying at USC,” or, “I am leaving USC.”
I took it to mean “I’m blasting off out of here peace out mofos”

Here’s my daily update: Tennessee fans wanted a home run hire! I ask again what do you call the bases loaded with your designated hitter at the plate? A grand slam! The Tennessee athletic administration and AD are conducting the biggest women’s basketball search in this era. The numbers once made public are going to jump off the screen. Stay tuned!

We always get posts like this when there's a coaching search---and then we learn the new coach is from Louisiana Tech.

Inside the park homerun due to multiple throwing errors? However, I don’t believe these reports.
I think Walz would be a homerun hire though, based on basketball, not personality. Not a lot of option a with 3 final 4’a and 2 title games, in spite of his second round loss this year, which his critics love to point out. As of it erases his career.
Hiring a coach who always has multiple players transfers isn’t a home run idea. Brenda has struggled with recruiting also

Hiring a coach who always has multiple players transfers isn’t a home run idea. Brenda has struggled with recruiting also
I didn’t mention her. I point to Walz’s multiple final 4’s and you come back with his multiple transfers. Transfers are commonplace. Barnes has them every year too. Variety of reasons for them. Final 4’s are the goal, I thought.

Jeff and Brenda🤮🤮🤮

I know it is gospel on this board that Danny White is playing three-dimensional chess while us mere mortals are staring slack jawed at the checker board but I shall speak some blasphemy.

It sure is not looking like he had that "big fish" on the hook before he fired Kellie. I suppose some will indignantly post that White is waiting for the tournament to end. Bless your hearts and I promise to eat my hat if Dawn Staley is wearing orange next season.

And now the UTAD is scouring across a set of potentially past their prime, name head coaches with heavy baggage (and pricey buyout clauses) and moderately successful mid major coaches that you have to hope can make a big jump when they take over the program.

That scenario is not screaming "BRILLIANT" strategic mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I will again say that this search seems to be in a scramble mode--fire first and ask questions later may not have been prudent.

Last edited:
Could be a Kellie Graves situation tho good til it isn’t
Graves path is an anomaly. That kind of success almost always translates when you move up, and it did in his case. The drop-off is the mystery. Incredibly rare. Could just be that he hasn't been able to adapt to free agency and NIL.

Graves path is an anomaly. That kind of success almost always translates when you move up, and it did in his case. The drop-off is the mystery. Incredibly rare. Could just be that he hasn't been able to adapt to free agency and NIL.
No idea if she will either with nil and transfers

I know it is gospel on this board that Danny White is playing three-dimensional chess while us mere mortals are staring slack jawed at the checker board but I shall speak some blasphemy.

But it is sure not looking like he had that "big fish" on the hook before he fired Kellie. I suppose some will indignantly post that White is waiting for the tournament to end. Bless your hearts and I promise to eat my hat if Dawn Staley is wearing orange next season.

And now the UTAD is scouring across a set of potentially past their prime, name head oaches with heavy baggage (and pricey buyout clauses) and moderately successful mid major coaches that you have to hope can make a big jump when they take over the program.

That scenario is not screaming "BRILLIANT" strategic mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I will again say that this search seems to be in a scramble mod--fire first and ask questions later may not have been prudent.
This!!

But it is sure not looking like he had that "big fish" on the hook before he fired Kellie. I suppose some will indignantly post that White is waiting for the tournament to end. Bless your hearts and I promise to eat my hat if Dawn Staley is wearing orange next season.

And now the UTAD is scouring across a set of potentially past their prime, name head oaches with heavy baggage (and pricey buyout clauses) and moderately successful mid major coaches that you have to hope can make a big jump when they take over the program.

That scenario is not screaming "BRILLIANT" strategic mode. I hope to be proven wrong but I will again say that this search seems to be in a scramble mod--fire first and ask questions later may not have been prudent.

Wow. Just went I think ya'll can't get any crazier you hit me with something else. Danny White is not, and has not been in scramble mode. The decision to fire Kellie wasn't made on a whim. It was calculated.. so much so that he delayed it a week to cut the buyout in half. That's not "scramble" that's strategic. The fact we're not hearing leaks isn't "scramble mode" either, it reaffirms what we already knew - Danny White knows how to run an AD. Let's hold off on the doom and gloom, trash the AD talk until he gives us an actual reason to do so.

VN Store

Back