It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

I miss Pat Summitt, but I don’t miss her mentioned every time UT has a vacancy.

I’d expect that Barnes would push Rob Lanier and Schwartz. I don’t think that Danny would have either at the top of his list.
Depending on the timing and success of English might earn him a spot in that group. Rob Lanier would be the 1st Barnes would recommend all this is based on timing.
This is a summer dead period discussion and probably 4+ years to early. A lot can change. Any analysis of who, what when and where is just Paralysis that serves no purpose.

Depending on the timing and success of English might earn him a spot in that group. Rob Lanier would be the 1st Barnes would recommend all this is based on timing.
This is a summer dead period discussion and probably 4+ years to early. A lot can change. Any analysis of who, what when and where is just Paralysis that serves no purpose.

I don’t know if English is all that interested in UT. But money talks and if the timing works out it could be a great opportunity for him. I think he needs 3 or 4 more years. The biggest factor could end up being which more prominent jobs come open at the time tgat Barnes retires. A couple of UT final fours would put UT in a better position to compete with the blue bloods and the level just below the blue bloods.

It was good to see English show up in TBA for a game earlier this season.

I don’t know if English is all that interested in UT. But money talks and if the timing works out it could be a great opportunity for him. I think he needs 3 or 4 more years. The biggest factor could end up being which more prominent jobs come open at the time tgat Barnes retires. A couple of UT final fours would put UT in a better position to compete with the blue bloods and the level just below the blue bloods.

It was good to see English show up in TBA for a game earlier this season.
I agree. It is all about timing and just as you said. I think we are 5 - 10 years out. Too many things can happen.

To start a thread like this and call it April, there are a hundred unknown reasons why Saban retired. He was 72 so that comparison is different and Coach K was 76 when he retired, Larry Brown left coaching (asst at Memphis) at 82 for health reasons two different sports to compare Barnes and Saban. Saban got tired of Alabama NIL is it is different than Tennessee. What's more, he may have been worried about paying players finally catching up. I think Saban retired because he got tired of it all and saw an opportunity to go out on top vs time catching up with him.

It has to be Lamont Paris. He’s already spent five years coaching at Chattanooga, he would be a perfect fit here.

The slow as molasses pace isn’t a perfect fit here.
Speak for yourself. His teams play defense, and he wins. Remember how many complaints we’ve seen about Barnes offensive philosophy in previous years? Point being, it’s possible to change and evolve, especially with better personnel. Paris is a good coach.

Reactions: Pennheel
if you can't remember their names then there is your answer. Either that or you failed to use blue font.
Chris beard would be a phenomenal hire, except that he beat his wife. Or maybe it was fiancé. But yeah, on paper he’d be great but he’s scum and makes Pearl look like a saint.

Speak for yourself. His teams play defense, and he wins. Remember how many complaints we’ve seen about Barnes offensive philosophy in previous years? Point being, it’s possible to change and evolve, especially with better personnel. Paris is a good coach.

Calm down. Who else do you think I’m speaking for?

However, I doubt that I’m not the only one that doesn’t think he’s a “perfect fit here”.

Calm down. Who else do you think I’m speaking for?

However, I doubt that I’m not the only one that doesn’t think he’s a “perfect fit here”.
Calm down? lol I didn’t realize I was irritated? I think you’re just sensitive. You’re only telling me to calm down because you want to portray me as being upset. I’m not. You’re not the only one who doesn’t think he’s a good fit here, and I’m not the only one who thinks he is. Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennheel
Your “facts” are wrong.

Ray Mears, Jerry Green, and 3 other UT coaches have better winning percentages than Bruce.

Cuonzo Martin has a better tournament winning % than Bruce.
Forgive me, you’re right that mears and green are a hair higher at Tennessee. I made a mistake and looked at Pearl’s career record instead of his Tennessee record. Pearl’s career record is higher, but at Tennessee he is third.

The other 3 happened back when black people weren’t allowed to play so it’s not relevant.

Cuonzo didn’t coach enough games to qualify for that statistic. It’d be like me saying that Derrick Henry has the highest QBR in titans history.

The other things I said were factually correct, most sweet 16s, most elite 8s, which makes it hard to argue for another coach in a tournament sport like college basketball.

Forgive me, you’re right that mears and green are a hair higher at Tennessee. I made a mistake and looked at Pearl’s career record instead of his Tennessee record. Pearl’s career record is higher, but at Tennessee he is third.

The other 3 happened back when black people weren’t allowed to play so it’s not relevant.

Cuonzo didn’t coach enough games to qualify for that statistic. It’d be like me saying that Derrick Henry has the highest QBR in titans history.

The other things I said were factually correct, most sweet 16s, most elite 8s, which makes it hard to argue for another coach in a tournament sport like college basketball.

So Johnny Mauer doesn’t count because there was segregation?

Cuonzo’s run doesn’t count because you’ve established an arbitrary minimum # of games? 4 isn’t enough, so what is enough?

Reactions: GenRRN and berryvol
Your “facts” are wrong.

Ray Mears, Jerry Green, and 3 other UT coaches have better winning percentages than Bruce.

Cuonzo Martin has a better tournament winning % than Bruce.
Dealing in fiction is a gift that poster specializes in apparently, so you'll have to forgive them. They carried on with me for a couple days with the incorrect belief that I was someone else they were arguing with in another thread, and attributing posts from that someone else to me to tell me how crappy my opinions were and how misinformed I was...the irony of which is impressive.

And then when called out on it, predictably vanished from that conversation like a fart in the wind.

If he isn’t hired away before Barnes retires, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see Rod Clark get promoted. He led the recruitment of Knecht and has played a big role in helping Barnes modernize his offense.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
If he isn’t hired away before Barnes retires, I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see Rod Clark get promoted. He led the recruitment of Knecht and has played a big role in helping Barnes modernize his offense.
Clark has never been a HC before right?

Reactions: berryvol
You mean you’re partial to our current coach… because if you were being impartial you’d acknowledge that Pearl is more accomplished. Maybe dislike was a strong word, but you have clear bias against him.

I disagree with you because I know you’re wrong; I know for an absolute fact that he would come back. You just speculate that he wouldn’t, but I’m not speculating. Former players and even a current SEC network announcer have told me as much.

Trying to help you become more informed doesn’t make me triggered or mean I have a complex. Also not the correct use of ‘complex’ there, unless you think that I have high anxiety about this, which would be strange thing to think on your part lol.
Bottom line, I don't think that DW will even begin to analyze any coach with the level of RISK Pearl has in the RISK/REWARD calculation. Totally outside the perceived CHARACTER model he has maintained and attained during his tenure. Pearl was willing to take risks on talented players that our currrent guy will not, and the next guy WILL be measured by the Barnes years. Just that simple.

This is the appropriate stance… people only disagree because Pearl and BBQ’s are extremely emotive subjects to them.

Everyone’s jumping up my asš, when I absolutely love Barnes.

We can like and appreciate Pearl and also like and appreciate Barnes. But I’ve been told to go cheer for auburn, and even been called hitler for correcting someone, all because they’re really emotional about sports. Lol.

Wait a minute..... after his AU arrivial there was a major dust up that cost him some staff members and even created SOME fear they would have to run him off. He just is TOO open to pushing envelopes. We just cannot afford to make a move that puts us at risk of FOOL ME ONCE analysis if he gets too close to the line again. Especially with the position our AD and Chancellor have put us in with the NCAA NIL lawsuit.

Edited to add....

Bet there is a working short list in DW's top left drawer that is governed by likeability, compatibility, and reasonable ATTAINABILITY.

Last edited:
Wait a minute..... after his AU arrivial there was a major dust up that cost him some staff members and even created SOME fear they would have to run him off. He just is TOO open to pushing envelopes. We just cannot afford to make a move that puts us at risk of FOOL ME ONCE analysis if he gets too close to the line again. Especially with the position our AD and Chancellor have put us in with the NCAA NIL lawsuit.
I get that. Can’t argue with anything you said.

Dealing in fiction is a gift that poster specializes in apparently, so you'll have to forgive them. They carried on with me for a couple days with the incorrect belief that I was someone else they were arguing with in another thread, and attributing posts from that someone else to me to tell me how crappy my opinions were and how misinformed I was...the irony of which is impressive.

And then when called out on it, predictably vanished from that conversation like a fart in the wind.
i didn’t even know I’d had a discussion with you. Admittedly, I rarely look at the poster’s name when I participate on here

VN Store

Back