It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

I would check with Tommy Lloyd but doubt he’d leave Arizona, same for the other top guys like a Hurley at UCONN.

Nate Oats at Bama? Fans have grown to dislike hun here, would Danny consider him?

Brad Underwood I think would get consideration and could be mutual, Niko Medved at Colorado State is a name I could see White looking at.
No offense but it’s stone cold delusional to think anyone is going to leave Arizona or Illinois for UT. Those are better basketball jobs.

Oats is beloved in Bama and there’s no way he’s going to throw that away by leaving for a lateral move to his 2nd biggest rival. Plus they are about to build him a new arena. And with the money they printed while Saban was there, they could easily win a bidding war with UT anyway.

No offense but it’s stone cold delusional to think anyone is going to leave Arizona or Illinois for UT. Those are better basketball jobs.

Oats is beloved in Bama and there’s no way he’s going to throw that away by leaving for a lateral move to his 2nd biggest rival. Plus they are about to build him a new arena. And with the money they printed while Saban was there, they could easily win a bidding war with UT anyway.
I’ll give you zona but to say Illinois is a better job is ludicrous. We live in an NIL world.

Lofton was a 3rd team AA under Buzz. Everyone knew he was great before anyone in this fanbase had ever heard of Bruce Pearl.
3rd team Freshman All-American

He was certainly a proven product as a freshman under Buzz. He was already very good and only going to get better, and anyone with two functioning eyes and a half dozen brain cells could see that.

Leaving Arizona for Tennessee? Probably a little delusional. Leaving Illinois for Tennessee? Not delusional in the slightest. It’s at worst a lateral move.

I would check with Tommy Lloyd but doubt he’d leave Arizona, same for the other top guys like a Hurley at UCONN.

Nate Oats at Bama? Fans have grown to dislike hun here, would Danny consider him?

Brad Underwood I think would get consideration and could be mutual, Niko Medved at Colorado State is a name I could see White looking at.

Would be hard to get most people on board with Nate Oats. He has some slurpers in this fanbase, but most I think feel quite a bit of disdain for him. Underwood and Medved would both be good hires and are very realistic imo.

Arizona is a better job, historically, but in the new world of realignment, will it continue to be a better job? Also, Arizona is under new leadership and is a few nickels shy of bankruptcy. I can't imagine any coach for them getting too comfortable.

Now, that being said, I don't see Lloyd ever being much of a fit at Tennessee and can't imagine us making a serious run at him. All of his ties and previous experience are out west. He was born in Washington, went to college in Washington, and spent 21 years as an assistant at Gonzaga in Washington. He has zero ties East of the Rocky Mountains, so I'd have a hard time seeing him making the move for that reason.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
Leaving Arizona for Tennessee? Probably a little delusional. Leaving Illinois for Tennessee? Not delusional in the slightest. It’s at worst a lateral move.
I don’t get the love for the Illinois job. A s*** city in a s*** (blue) state

Reactions: BisonVol
I don’t get the love for the Illinois job. A s*** city in a s*** (blue) state

Same. Illinois isn’t a bad job by any means, just very overrated. Tennessee has all the resources, probably more resources honestly in the NIL era, than Illinois. And Knoxville is a better place to live than Champagne.

Reactions: cncchris33
Same. Illinois isn’t a bad job by any means, just very overrated. Tennessee has all the resources, probably more resources honestly in the NIL era, than Illinois. And Knoxville is a better place to live than Champagne.
Yep. Illinois has a lot of prestige from the mid-1900s, then again in the 80s, and very sporadic high-level periods of success, since. But in reality, they haven't made a S16 in almost 20 years. In fact, Tennessee has been to the S16 six times since Illinois was last there. Illinois has the F4s from generations ago on their side, but that's about it. Even their inclusion in the Big10 doesn't provide them with any extra clout, as the SEC is every bit the basketball conference, anymore.

For anyone who thinks Scott Drew would leave Baylor for UT, he just said no to Louisville.

You ever hear of Champaign wishes and caviar dreams?
yes, and calling illinois a better job than tennessee in the new era of NIL is asinine. historically, they average about .5 wins per season more than us... but we've been better than them for almost 20 years now. They haven't made a sweet 16 since 2005, we outpace them in NIL by a pretty wide margin, our facilities are better...

Since 2006, there's not one thing that can be said in Illinois' favor in comparison to Tennessee. We have more NCAA appearances, more sweet 16s, more elite 8s, more conference reg season champs, more conference tourney champs, more 5 stars signed, more prominent players in the NBA, more prestigious coach. And, as was my original point, more money to spend on elite players.

Would be hard to get most people on board with Nate Oats. He has some slurpers in this fanbase, but most I think feel quite a bit of disdain for him. Underwood and Medved would both be good hires and are very realistic imo.
Count me as one lady that has tremendous disdain for him, not because he’s at Bama, but for how he handled Brandon miller’s situation. He’s the most morally bankrupt coach in the conference and in the state of Alabama, even with Pearl there in the same state.

VN Store

Back