It's April and Rick Barnes decides to retire and join Saban. Who's your first 2 calls to?

Let’s hope we don’t have to worry about this for many years, I don’t see Barnes hanging it up for at least a couple more years

Barnes's contract runs through the 2028 season and I think he could possibly get an extension.

Barnes's contract runs through the 2028 season and I think he could possibly get an extension.
He’ll always have no less than 4 years on a contract as long as he’s here. That’s SOP in the revenue sports - you never let a guy run out the contract because it signals to recruits that you’re not committed to the coach long term. Assuming he doesn’t retire after this year, he’ll get at least a one year extension - and possibly more depending on how the tournament goes.

It’s pretty incredible that you won’t acknowledge that. Name the coach in Tennessee history that’s been the farthest in the ncaa tournament. Now name the coach that went to at least the sweet 16 50% of the time. Name the coach that has the best win % in school history. And then finally name the coach that has the best tournament win % in school history. Hint: it’s all the same guy, and he currently coaches at auburn. Being the most accomplished is about.. well… accomplishments. He has the most.

You not liking Pearl doesn’t change that. Again, I’m not stating my opinion. I’m stating facts, which you seem to find incredible. Lol.

Your “facts” are wrong.

Ray Mears, Jerry Green, and 3 other UT coaches have better winning percentages than Bruce.

Cuonzo Martin has a better tournament winning % than Bruce.

Last edited:
yeah let’s ignore the fact that Pearl’s got the highest winning % in school history, the most sweet 16s in school history, the highest tournament win % in school history, the only elite 8 in school history… ignore all of that because he lied about a BBQ. Quit being obtuse.

Half of your “facts” are wrong.

Greg McDermott, Creighton
Dusty May, FAU
Brian Dutcher, San Diego St
Bryce Drew, GCU
Kelvin Sampson, Houston
Josh Schertz, Indiana State

Dusty May, FAU
Bryce Drew, GCU
Kelvin Sampson, Houston
I like Dusty May, looks like he might be possibly going to Ohio State. I do hope Barnes stays here a few more years. Barnes is 69 yrs old Saban coached until 72.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Parris is obviously a good coach, but man I don't know if I could watch his style of basketball night in and night out.
Yep. very boring in one way O wise good to great Ds and every game is close they use most of shot clock to shorten games. I bet there were 20 games SC could have lost if a few things went wrong. He's not Kevin Oneill boring O but they do run most of clock every time. I mean next year if has bad luck he could go back to double digit losses not much room for error.

I think it's debatable. They are at least competitive now and will probably make the NCAAT this year. I just think it makes a lot of sense with his ties to TN.
I think the “ties to Tennessee” mentality has always hurt Tennessee. It limits the pool of coaches we choose from to a group that doesn’t necessarily make Tennessee any better. Moving away from that mentality has proven to be helpful.

PS Barnes isn’t going anywhere.

We will most likely promote whoever Barnes’s lead assistant is when he decides to retire. This is not a place that’s going to be able to poach a sitting P5 coach. It never has been.
Jerry Green was a sitting P5 coach. And the job wasn't nearly as good when Tennessee hired him. O'Neill wasn't at a P5 school, but in basketball, Marquette is the equivalent of P5. Tennessee can absolutely hire a sitting P5 coach, but even if it's not a P5 coach, the idea that Tennessee would have to settle for an assistant is absurd. Why we have so many fans who love to undervalue our programs is beyond me.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Jerry Green was a sitting P5 coach. And the job wasn't nearly as good when Tennessee hired him. O'Neill wasn't at a P5 school, but in basketball, Marquette is the equivalent of P5. Tennessee can absolutely hire a sitting P5 coach, but even if it's not a P5 coach, the idea that Tennessee would have to settle for an assistant is absurd. Why we have so many fans who love to undervalue our programs is beyond me.
Oregon practically rolled out the red carpet for us to take Green off their hands. He was on the hot seat there.

I get where you're coming from and agree 100 % about focusing on the here and now,but I think it's also fun to speculate on these things sometimes. I don't know about him coaching 7-10 more years,but hopefully he continues to have success as long as he's at Tennessee.
Fun to speculate, agree. It is the time, chosen and you can do it after the season. Shows me that some of the fans don't have a clue and seem to be either trolling, entitled, or really speculation because the aren't capable of dealing with reality.

Barnes is here as long as he wants to be, he will know when the right time is and who knows what coaches will be available. 5 -10 years from now.

He is loyal to this University, is a workaholic, knows what he is doing has seen enough BB to know what can be accomplished. He sits on the NCAA rules committee so finding a coach with the Credentials above and even one available.

Creating a search for a coach 5-10 years out is just ignorant.

Dusty May, FAU
Bryce Drew, GCU
Kelvin Sampson, Houston
Schertz was the head coach of Lincoln Memorial University from 2008 to 2021. He had a record there of 337-69 with 2 Division 2 final four appearances. For those who don't know, LMU is a Division 2 school outside of Knoxville.

VN Store

Back