'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

Ok. If you can’t tell he is a superior athlete, then there isn’t any help for you. Kid still needs to develop but has ALL the physical tools.
to play where? Good athlete but where and how long to get there. That is the question. Yes liked to have him but can fill the spot with a player at a position not a player out of position. Too many projects, try here try there and fill the spot that can help and he can not help.

This kid was an early 5* as an EDGE. Golesh convinced him that he had a better future as a TE and he committed to us. He's focused on playing TE since then and hasn't quite panned out. Those being super upset about this one are truly stargazing, but the stars were from a position he no longer wants to play. I don't always agree with @LittleVol, but he was spot on with this kid. Potential 5* EDGE but 3* TE at best currently. We'll see what Golesh does with him, but it's only a loss because our TE room is lacking big time.
Hasn’t panned out?

We see just how well it pans out while he’s at USF. He’s a very good TE prospect.

to play where? Good athlete but where and how long to get there. That is the question. Yes liked to have him but can fill the spot with a player at a position not a player out of position. Too many projects, try here try there and fill the spot that can help and he can not help.
How many freshman jump in and play significant minutes at any SEC schools? So having a 5* athlete at TE and taking a year to develop him, is a project? By that definition almost all HS kids are projects.

How many freshman jump in and play significant minutes at any SEC schools? So having a 5* athlete at TE and taking a year to develop him, is a project? By that definition almost all HS kids are projects.
They already have an elite athlete learning to play TE in Okoye. Probably best to use that scholarship on someone who can contribute sooner.

Almost zero production this year as a full-time TE. I hope he does well at USF, but it's not like losing someone who put up big numbers or highlights as a TE.
He was injured in the first game and missed the entire season…

Reactions: bpalmer28
I think it’s more that he was rated highly as a 10th grader, committed early, and then didn’t progress and develop like people projected.

We probably like other TEs better in the portal, and maybe even at the high school level. Nobody has said anything about his character. This is a Butch Jones 4 star special IMO. I know he has a great relationship with Golesh, but flipping to USF is telling. Other big boys weren’t beating down his door.
Yeah if he was “hot”, Deon would be all over him.

Well, that sounds great. Hasn’t exactly been that easy lately though lately has it?

I have to admit I'm a little uneasy about the recruiting close. It isn't on me but we don't seem to be tearing it up in the portal either.

Admittedly I'm more interested in getting difference makers on defense but if Heupel wants the train to continue to run on offense then he best be getting more alphas.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back