'24 GA TE Jonathan Echols (USF commit)

He’s still got tons of time to grow and become durable. I’m not really ever going to doubt our ability to get skill position talent
Absolutely, but I don't think we can discount his inability to be durable either. Never stop recruiting.

This kid was an early 5* as an EDGE. Golesh convinced him that he had a better future as a TE and he committed to us. He's focused on playing TE since then and hasn't quite panned out. Those being super upset about this one are truly stargazing, but the stars were from a position he no longer wants to play. I don't always agree with @LittleVol, but he was spot on with this kid. Potential 5* EDGE but 3* TE at best currently. We'll see what Golesh does with him, but it's only a loss because our TE room is lacking big time.

This kid was an early 5* as an EDGE. Golesh convinced him that he had a better future as a TE and he committed to us. He's focused on playing TE since then and hasn't quite panned out. Those being super upset about this one are truly stargazing, but the stars were from a position he no longer wants to play. I don't always agree with @LittleVol, but he was spot on with this kid. Potential 5* EDGE but 3* TE at best currently. We'll see what Golesh does with him, but it's only a loss because our TE room is lacking big time.
And it comes on the heels of Seaton and Baron. Had we only lost Echols, the outrage would probably be less severe.

I swear some of y’all are so dense and can’t see the whole chess board. Let me explain:

Echols graded high at a camp as a DE/EDGE but wants to play as a TE. Well the switch wasn’t a 1:1 as far as ratings and potential goes so his stock fell. No other P5 wanted him as a TE either. So now in this day and age do we waste a scholarship on a project TE when we need a day 1 TE starter? No. We “git shirt” him to the college farm league (G5) AND to a team coached by one of Heupel’s homeboys. If Golesh gets him developed right then he gets sent up to the big leagues in 2 years as a day 1 impact TE.

The landscape has changed so much that P5 coaches have to be bros with the G5 coaches in a similar way they develop relationships with high school coaches. When portal season opens they get the head start on developed talent ready for the big show.

More than ever you have to be super selective on high school recruits because the portal can change the entire complexion of your roster potential in one season (see Ole Miss). 8-4 to 10-2 which would be good for a playoff bid in the new era.

They didn't process him. They weren't planning on him flipping and they were going to sign him.

But everyone also knows/knew he's got quite a bit of developing to do before he could be an impact player. He's not a guy they were going to be banking on next year.
-Hubbs
It means had they been able to land any of the other tight ends in this class then he may have been processed already, but they haven’t been able to land anyone. That’s the problem in the grand scheme of things.

2019- Jackson Lowe and Sean Brown (both left after a year)
2020-nobody
2021-Trinity Bell and Miles Campbell (Bell left after a year and Campbell after two)
2022-Nobody
2023-Ethan Davis (They are soooo high on him) and a late desperation add of Okoye.
2024- Nobody as of now.

that’s the high school tight end recruiting in the last 6 classes. Not good.
-AP

On TE recruiting:
They put their eggs in the basket of three guys and got beat out by UGA (TE history and currently Bowers). Oregon (kid was from Utah) and Ohio State (kid was from Canada).

I think the inexperience here in recruiting at that position has to be looked at as a factor. Challenge to learn to recruit on the job at this level. I don't know if a veteran TE coach would have had more success or not, but you can see why it's a question.
-Hubbs

what was interesting to me is I thought Coach Abes actually did a pretty good job with the TEs from an on field production standpoint.. I know we didn't have the Swiss Army knife that Princeton Fant was... but from a traditional TE production role, I thought the TEs looked good in the run blocking game and think they played well...

but I do worry about his recruiting skills/abilities... I think he's a likable guy and relates well with kids and recruits.. but I think he is still learning on the job... I think from a coaching standpoint both he and Kelsey Pope are rising young coaches. but both need to continue to grow as recruiters..

I really think we could see our offensive recruiting take a jump if Nico shows well next year... that will help with Gmac and future WRs /TEs and RBs. and reminds everyone how good our offense can be.

He probably would be elite as an edge; he’s set on playing TE. Can’t remember his exact numbers but they weren’t great. We need TEs
I get it I guess but did they just realize it late in the cycle? This kid has been committed as an elite tight end for at least a year hasn’t he?

On TE recruiting:

-Hubbs
Goodness… AP and Hubbs just laid it down without much sugar on top. That’s concerning. I generally don’t have tons of highs and lows with UT football any longer (pretty numb since 2009 outside last year), but I’m pretty sure all of us took one to the goodies the last 48-hours (including our staff).

I knew our TE recruiting was lacking, but it wasn’t until AP laid it out like that from year to year that it really shows just how poor it’s been. Hope Abeln is able to figure things out. But, man. That is not a great past few years for the staff as a whole at that position.
TBF it isnt all on Abeln. Most or all that is on Golesh too.

VN Store

Back