Heupel To Showcase Nico?

Heupel would be wise to showcase Nico's abilities these next two games to show our Commits that they are coming into a program that is still on the rise. We have some highly rated WRs/ skill players that we don't want them looking elsewhere. Need to get back to our feared high scoring passing attack that took a big hit during the Bazooka Joe reign. GO VOLS! Let's crush some Candy and win our Bowl Game!!!!
I don’t think Nico will see the field this Saturday. It’s about padding stats for Milton in hopes of NFL teams giving him a look.

Heupel would be wise to showcase Nico's abilities these next two games to show our Commits that they are coming into a program that is still on the rise. We have some highly rated WRs/ skill players that we don't want them looking elsewhere. Need to get back to our feared high scoring passing attack that took a big hit during the Bazooka Joe reign. GO VOLS! Let's crush some Candy and win our Bowl Game!!!!
Yeah show the senior players and the ones who have stuck around and showed some loyalty that we will kick them to the curb.

He should be able to play at least the second half of the Vandy game (it's senior day, Joe should start). Might as well start him in the bowl game and let Joe prepare for the combine. I feel like Joe would want to play the bowl game, but I think it's just time for us to prepare for the future.

Forget this foolish talk about Nico. He is going into the transfer portal and will start for another team! No more bench riding for Nico!! I am not sure Heupel planned to start him next year anyway.
You win the prize. I've seen some really stupid, unfounded, emotional tantrum inspired comments before. Yours is at least top 5.

He should be able to play at least the second half of the Vandy game (it's senior day, Joe should start). Might as well start him in the bowl game and let Joe prepare for the combine. I feel like Joe would want to play the bowl game, but I think it's just time for us to prepare for the future.
Depending on who is ready to start on the OL... I would consider giving him some first half series honestly. The only risk I see is if the OL doesn't hold up perfect then Vandy may have someone spastic enough to trip and fall into Nico's knee.

I don't hate Lea or anything. Maybe he's a fine position coach. But even by the Vandy standard of things... he's bad. They have allowed 38 or more PPG vs SEC opponents in each of his years. Worse teams have beaten better teams. But honestly this should be a good time to see some of those young developing OLs and other players.

Reactions: lexkyvol
Joe will play the very meaningful snap the rest of the season.

I am of the belief Joe has in his possession pics of Heupel doing something unlawful at a Knoxville goat farm.

There isn’t any other reason Joe didn’t get benched in October.
Yeah. There is.

Heupel is building a program to win games long term. He isn't interested in your itchiness to see the new shiny 5* QB.

Heupel is interested in giving Nico his best shot at success.... and realized that wasn't to throw him to the wolves green and being a 6'6" 190 lb twig against SEC D's.

Heupel is working a plan. Supposedly Nico and those around him signed on with UT in part because of that plan. He's had a year to develop mentally and physically. When he takes the reins, he will be as prepared as possible to succeed.

Strange your mind went directly to things that happen on your goat farm.

Yeah. There is.

Heupel is building a program to win games long term. He isn't interested in your itchiness to see the new shiny 5* QB.

Heupel is interested in giving Nico his best shot at success.... and realized that wasn't to throw him to the wolves green and being a 6'6" 190 lb twig against SEC D's.

Heupel is working a plan. Supposedly Nico and those around him signed on with UT in part because of that plan. He's had a year to develop mentally and physically. When he takes the reins, he will be as prepared as possible to succeed.

Strange your mind went directly to things that happen on your goat farm.
I listened to Basilio this morning also. I get the whole program building deal.

The goat farm is a joke dating back to Pruitt and JG.

Ask yourself this. Does Spurrier stick with Joe all season or does he rotate? I can’t stand that guy but he always had his QBs game ready prepared

Reactions: cgrish
Out of the strange coincidence that Nico played and had a bad game, say a couple bad interceptions and just didn't look good against lowly Vandy, would that make any recruits have 2nd thoughts.

I listened to Basilio this morning also. I get the whole program building deal.

The goat farm is a joke dating back to Pruitt and JG.

Ask yourself this. Does Spurrier stick with Joe all season or does he rotate? I can’t stand that guy but he always had his QBs game ready prepared
Spurrier was a unique guy who even more uniquely made that work. His era came and went just like Fulmer's.

Listening to Basilio... is never a good thing. He's generally tinted negative and when he doesn't actually know something... he makes things up to fill the gaps.

I think Heupel has a plan. I don't think he sees Milton level play at QB as the "end" of that plan or the norm. I happen to agree with the plan as best I understand it. I do not think he was wrong or unwise to "sacrifice" this season with Milton to avoid throwing Nico in to see if he would sink or swim. Nico according to reports is around 20-30 lbs heavier than he was this time last year. That's important. In fact, that's critical. The experience he's gained while NOT having to spend hours in the training room is critical. Sitting in a room with Hooker and Milton learning how to watch film and learning the O is critical.

Heupel doesn't lack urgency. He seems to understand that results are always expected sooner rather than later. But he isn't sacrificing future success for immediate fan gratification. That's a good thing.

Out of the strange coincidence that Nico played and had a bad game, say a couple bad interceptions and just didn't look good against lowly Vandy, would that make any recruits have 2nd thoughts.
No.

Spurrier was a unique guy who even more uniquely made that work. His era came and went just like Fulmer's.

Listening to Basilio... is never a good thing. He's generally tinted negative and when he doesn't actually know something... he makes things up to fill the gaps.

I think Heupel has a plan. I don't think he sees Milton level play at QB as the "end" of that plan or the norm. I happen to agree with the plan as best I understand it. I do not think he was wrong or unwise to "sacrifice" this season with Milton to avoid throwing Nico in to see if he would sink or swim. Nico according to reports is around 20-30 lbs heavier than he was this time last year. That's important. In fact, that's critical. The experience he's gained while NOT having to spend hours in the training room is critical. Sitting in a room with Hooker and Milton learning how to watch film and learning the O is critical.

Heupel doesn't lack urgency. He seems to understand that results are always expected sooner rather than later. But he isn't sacrificing future success for immediate fan gratification. That's a good thing.
TLDR. No offense but I save that for more important topics

I've said it in other threads - here is the way this needs to play out:
Joe starts Vandy game and gets us to a 3 score plus half time lead behind a brutal rushing attack.
Nico takes over the second half and neither Gaston or Navy see the field until late in the 4th qtr when we are up 5 to 6 scores.
Joe starts the bowl game, but Nico takes over at the second series regardless of the score.
Here's how I would like to see it play out.
Coach tell Milton he plays the first quarter, regardless whether we're ahead by 7, behind by 3, Nico goes in 2nd quarter. Nico needs game time experience without a lot of cushion, he needs to feel some pressure and learn from it. JMO

There's no practice that equates to game time play.

Last edited:
I've said it in other threads - here is the way this needs to play out:
Joe starts Vandy game and gets us to a 3 score plus half time lead behind a brutal rushing attack.
Nico takes over the second half and neither Gaston or Navy see the field until late in the 4th qtr when we are up 5 to 6 scores.
Joe starts the bowl game, but Nico takes over at the second series regardless of the score.
joe won't play bowl game....he'll be worried about his 50th round draft pick...LOL

VN Store

Back