Heupel To Showcase Nico?

Joe will play the very meaningful snap the rest of the season.

I am of the belief Joe has in his possession pics of Heupel doing something unlawful at a Knoxville goat farm.

There isn’t any other reason Joe didn’t get benched in October.

The Bowl game doesn't count against his redshirt. He could play these last two games. Milton will play versus Vanderbilt, probably sit the bowl game out would be my guess.
I doubt Joe sits out the bowl game for 2 reasons (1) It will be his last college game & he wants that experience again and (2) I think he still needs productive exposure to be considered for the NFL.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I've said it in other threads - here is the way this needs to play out:
Joe starts Vandy game and gets us to a 3 score plus half time lead behind a brutal rushing attack.
Nico takes over the second half and neither Gaston or Navy see the field until late in the 4th qtr when we are up 5 to 6 scores.
Joe starts the bowl game, but Nico takes over at the second series regardless of the score.
Not happening.

And UT will definitely lose to whoever the bowl opponent is if JM plays but it seems like that’s what will happen. They’ve avoided playing Nico like the plague this year even though the fanbase wants to see him play.
"Definitely" huh? You bet your house and life savings on that, right?

And good on them if they made their decisions about Nico and his development WITHOUT caring whether you wanted to see him play or not. Personally, I did not want him to play this year unless absolutely needed due to injury. Why? For one, Fr are NEVER truly ready to play QB at the SEC level. They play. Some do well. But they need a really strong team around them for that to happen. This was a "good" O roster but it would have hurt his long term development to have played this year and taken the beating. That is especially true before Mays came back and Milton was having to help the OL more.

He came in at 6'6" and reported at an inflated 195 lbs. He was a twig. Now I think he's around 220 if reports are correct. That's still thin but a lot closer than he was even 4 months ago.

Nico will likely be the starter next fall. He will have the benefit of a year and a half of S&C without having to scale anything back during the season. He will have had time in the film room with Hooker and Milton. He will have had the opportunity to learn from Milton who is a "book smart" QB and Milton's mistakes. There is a chance that all of the WRs will return except Keyton. Webb and Nimrod are getting better. IOWs, the plan is playing out and has a pretty good chance of optimizing Nico's chances for immediate success.

There comes a time when a player can't get a lot better in practice. They need the challenge of a real live opponent. But the better you can prepare before they have that challenge... the better their chances of success are. Nico's timing to go out and be "the man" looks like it is coming together almost perfect.

I've said it in other threads - here is the way this needs to play out:
Joe starts Vandy game and gets us to a 3 score plus half time lead behind a brutal rushing attack.
Nico takes over the second half and neither Gaston or Navy see the field until late in the 4th qtr when we are up 5 to 6 scores.
Joe starts the bowl game, but Nico takes over at the second series regardless of the score.
Agreed. But even better scenario would be Joe leads us to 21 first quarter points, crowd gives him a loud send off of respect and gratitude for his services and Nico takes over 2nd quarter and plays until start of 4th, with Vols up by 5-6 TDs.
Joe opts out of the bowl game to concentrate on NFL workouts. Nico starts the bowl game and dominates offense rolls like never before.
(removes orange glasses puts down the Kool-aid)

Heupel would be wise to showcase Nico's abilities these next two games to show our Commits that they are coming into a program that is still on the rise. We have some highly rated WRs/ skill players that we don't want them looking elsewhere. Need to get back to our feared high scoring passing attack that took a big hit during the Bazooka Joe reign. GO VOLS! Let's crush some Candy and win our Bowl Game!!!!
Once Nico goes into the portal, there will be some awesome teams looking at him. Nico will not have to ride the bench once he transfers!

"Definitely" huh? You bet your house and life savings on that, right?

And good on them if they made their decisions about Nico and his development WITHOUT caring whether you wanted to see him play or not. Personally, I did not want him to play this year unless absolutely needed due to injury. Why? For one, Fr are NEVER truly ready to play QB at the SEC level. They play. Some do well. But they need a really strong team around them for that to happen. This was a "good" O roster but it would have hurt his long term development to have played this year and taken the beating. That is especially true before Mays came back and Milton was having to help the OL more.

He came in at 6'6" and reported at an inflated 195 lbs. He was a twig. Now I think he's around 220 if reports are correct. That's still thin but a lot closer than he was even 4 months ago.

Nico will likely be the starter next fall. He will have the benefit of a year and a half of S&C without having to scale anything back during the season. He will have had time in the film room with Hooker and Milton. He will have had the opportunity to learn from Milton who is a "book smart" QB and Milton's mistakes. There is a chance that all of the WRs will return except Keyton. Webb and Nimrod are getting better. IOWs, the plan is playing out and has a pretty good chance of optimizing Nico's chances for immediate success.

There comes a time when a player can't get a lot better in practice. They need the challenge of a real live opponent. But the better you can prepare before they have that challenge... the better their chances of success are. Nico's timing to go out and be "the man" looks like it is coming together almost perfect.
Forget this foolish talk about Nico. He is going into the transfer portal and will start for another team! No more bench riding for Nico!! I am not sure Heupel planned to start him next year anyway.

Heupel would be wise to showcase Nico's abilities these next two games to show our Commits that they are coming into a program that is still on the rise. We have some highly rated WRs/ skill players that we don't want them looking elsewhere. Need to get back to our feared high scoring passing attack that took a big hit during the Bazooka Joe reign. GO VOLS! Let's crush some Candy and win our Bowl Game!!!!
The only place Nico will be showcased is at the University of Florida!

i dot expect to see Nico in Vandy or bowl game unless Joe gets hurt. They are avoiding playing him at all costs it seems.
Thye should have shown Nico more respect instead of holding him back. Too bad Heupel had a deal with Milton and had to play him! Nico will look great with whatever teams gets him out of the portal! Too bad Heupel kept him on the bench!!

Agreed. But even better scenario would be Joe leads us to 21 first quarter points, crowd gives him a loud send off of respect and gratitude for his services and Nico takes over 2nd quarter and plays until start of 4th, with Vols up by 5-6 TDs.
Joe opts out of the bowl game to concentrate on NFL workouts. Nico starts the bowl game and dominates offense rolls like never before.
(removes orange glasses puts down the Kool-aid)
I like yours better - we must be drinking from the same pitcher this morning...HAHAHHAA

One thing I did not account for in my assessment was Heupel's level of arrogance (not saying that he is or isn't).
By that I mean is he holding back a little on Nico because he has a fear of losing face with the 'crowd' if Nico balls out and shows that he should have probably been playing all year long and we could have had another win or two more than we ended up with ???

Kind of the opposite side of the coin of Heupel holding back Nico to keep him from getting injured / he's not ready.

Reactions: tngivm6
And UT will definitely lose to whoever the bowl opponent is if JM plays but it seems like that’s what will happen. They’ve avoided playing Nico like the plague this year even though the fanbase wants to see him play.
Folks said this last year against Clemson - with no Hooker, no Hyatt, etc. we would lose, but we didn't.

Reactions: temptn
Once Nico goes into the portal, there will be some awesome teams looking at him. Nico will not have to ride the bench once he transfers!
If he transfers this was not the place he wanted to be. With everything in life, you earn your turn and sometimes that means waiting until it is your time.

Joe will play the very meaningful snap the rest of the season.

I am of the belief Joe has in his possession pics of Heupel doing something unlawful at a Knoxville goat farm.

There isn’t any other reason Joe didn’t get benched in October.
sure there is. qbr, wrs dropping a stuff load of passes, cont bad playcalling. not alleviating joe of fault....but there's def enough to go around!

Reactions: chuck0303 and sjt18
Do you seriously think what the fanbase wants with regards to playing time is important?

What world do you live in?

Who would want our dumbass fanbase deciding anything like that?

sure there is. qbr, wrs dropping a stuff load of passes, cont bad playcalling. not alleviating joe of fault....but there's def enough to go around!
Good QBs make everyone around him better. Joe isn’t good. But man he throws a beautiful incomplete pass.

Still don't think he'll play much. Maybe against Vandy (that's not even a guarantee with how the team is playing), but I'd be surprised if he does in the bowl game.
Why is it so hard for people to just say "oh, my bad! I was mistaken!" SMDH.

VN Store

Back