Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif
No way them fouls were flagrant. Now the Bilas has had time to watch them plays, if he looks into the camera as says them were flagrant he isn’t being honest. He has no case upon review, actually the one that got Flip the cut under they eye was easiest to determine was most definitely not flagrant. They just got whipped. GBO

For basketball...man I don't know, not sure if DW would try to bring in a known name or find the next hot coach from a lower level school.

Kim English would likely be on my list somewhere, probably not the first call but he has good experience and is now doing pretty well at George Mason. Went 20-13 in his 2nd year there.

Paul Mills at Oral Roberts would be on the radar. Had two rough years to start, but has now built a respectable program there. They've made 2 NCAA tournaments and won the conference tournament twice now.

Darian DeVries over at Drake is also on the radar, might be the top smaller school name too. Has won at least 20 games every year and made 2 NCAA tournaments. In just 5 seasons he's already 2nd all time in wins there and also 2nd in winning %.

Steve Forbes being a former TN guy and having coached at ETSU as well, he's managed to turn Wake Forest into a solid program in his 3 seasons there.

Great list….we discussed Forbes and English. I like the others listed.

I consider every season a failure that we don’t make the elite eight….I don’t care about excuses or reasons…. The Duke game was huge and fantastic win….. Amazing job by Barnes….. we have the best set up in school history to make an Elite Eight…. Git er done!!!
******* 🦬💩

It’s definitely hard to quantify it… Mears won at a higher %….. had at least 6+ other seasons that would have him easily in the tourney today… They also only allowed 23-25 teams in the tourney when he was coaching… I would probably have Mears as the best since he pretty much built that program and has a higher winning %… Barnes would over take him with a final four though.
This program had just been nuked backed to the effin stone age when RB took this job..very telling that you leave that huge fact out of your little analysis.🤔

From 1962-1965 = 32 teams
From 1966-1968 = 36 teams
From 1969-1974 = 25 teams
From 1975-1978 = 32 teams

SEC basketball was pretty disrespected though in Mears time at TN. The first 12 years he was here only 1 SEC team made the NCAA each season, in his last 3 seasons 2 SEC teams made the tournament (he went 2 of those 3 years).
Mears was a great coach and I have always considered him the best UT coach, but at this point I feel like RIck deserves equal billing.

Honestly if y’all want my hot take on this matchup @ionaVOL @Enki_Amenra i don’t like it at all and I’d feel better if we had Z…FAU has nothing but elite scoring cutting guards who can create their own points something we struggle with and become stagnant on offense when things aren’t clicking…FAU has the advantage on guard play alone in this one.

E8ACBC11-EEB2-4485-8053-269AFBB5083D.gif

Yep, you're legitimately not right in the head.

You heard it hear first folks. Tennessee basketball has 113 failing seasons. Truly a bottom barrel program.

Nevermind that it's totally irrational to EXPECT a college basketball team to go to the Elite 8 every season.

But hey, he told a bunch of kids they were failures despite having the best season in a decade. A great tactic.

I almost responded to him, but instead I’ll just quote your response. Hahaha. One “successful” season. Ridiculous.

But let’s be honest, I really enjoyed your response, but it wasn’t among the 8 best responses on VolNation, so, unfortunately, you’re a failure.

Expectations change naturally with more success. Just how it rolls in life. Tennessee has a strong foundation since 2005. This isn’t 1980’s Tennessee administration. They will outspend nearly everyone for success in every sport unlike previously where it was “how can we slide every dollar possible over to Phillip Fulmer’s program”.

I never told anyone they were failures…. We failed to reach our goal… Yes…. 113 years we have failed to reach the goal which I feel like being the top 8 teams in the country is a huge accomplishment..You can always set goals low enough to where you can feel like a success. Isn’t that what this trophy generation about?
You just said an Elite 8 is a "huge accomplishment."

It is. That's why it cannot be the "expectation." It cannot be both of those things. An expectation by definition cannot be something that is a huge accomplishment.

My boss expects me to be at work on time and work 8 hours. Therefore, being at work on time and working a full 8 hours is not a huge accomplishment. That's the standard.

The floor expectation has to be something that should, by any reasonable condition, be accomplishable. The standard should be a solid result.

And each season can and should be different. If you're a Top 8 seed, it's reasonable to expect a Top 8 finish.

I expect to make the tourney just like my boss expects me on time. A successful season should be a Top 16 seed and/or a Top 16 finish. I expect Barnes to maintain us as a Top 16 program. But if my car blows a tire on the interstate, it's reasonable for my boss to not expect me to be on time.

I personally call a season a success if 1. SEC season title 2. SEC tournament title 3. Sweet 16

The expectation is 1. Top 4 SEC regular season 2. Top 16 seed.

Not all of them have to happen simultaneously. For example, we finished 5th but made the Sweet 16. Still a successful season.

If we were a 1 or 2 seed, I'd move "success" from Sweet 16 to Elite 8.

It's just totally irrational to EXPECT something every year that the program has only accomplished once in 114 seasons.

I know we have some engineers in here...how relevant and valuable is Six Sigma still in the manufacturing industry? Is there a minimum belt level to shoot for without it appearing silly (white belt looks silly to me from the synopsis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back