Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You yourself said every season was a failure without an Elite Eight...but Mears who was 0-4 in the NCAA tournament is going to stay on top UNLESS Barnes makes a Final Four, which no former coach has ever done here...interesting.

I feel like the conference is a lot better now than it was for any other former coach so I think Barnes' success is more impressive because of that. Since Barnes has been here the SEC has had 6 or more teams in the NCAA 5 of 7 seasons (8th COVID cancelled things), while Pearl was here the SEC only sent 6 or more teams in the NCAA 2 of 6 seasons.
Cognitive dissonance.

Barnes HAS to make a Final Four to be #1 and if he doesn't make an Elite 8 he's a failure.

Beast's #1 coach went 0-4 in the NCAA tournament.

He can't make it make sense.

I am a big Barnes fan, In fact, I am a fan of all of our coaches.

An effective AD always has a list of 3-5 names you would go to IF you had to. My son and i had this conversation over the weekend. Who do you think would be on that list?
Probably no one we would ever think of….. I think DW has a certain set of characteristics that he looks for in a coach…. He will hire someone that fits that mold no matter if it is a big name or a smaller school coach.

Last edited:
I view every season to be a success based on whether you make an elite eight or not…. If you want to judge a season a success by making the sweet sixteen then more power to you but that should be the bare minimum, imo.

I coach several different sports and one year in football…. We won more games than we had won in ten years…. I was proud of what we accomplished and the hard work we put in but the season was still a failure bc we didn’t finish as one of the top two teams to make the championship game.
Yep, you're legitimately not right in the head.

You heard it hear first folks. Tennessee basketball has 113 failing seasons. Truly a bottom barrel program.

Nevermind that it's totally irrational to EXPECT a college basketball team to go to the Elite 8 every season.

But hey, he told a bunch of kids they were failures despite having the best season in a decade. A great tactic.

Cognitive dissonance.

Barnes HAS to make a Final Four to be #1 and if he doesn't make an Elite 8 he's a failure.

Beast's #1 coach went 0-4 in the NCAA tournament.

He can't make it make sense.
I gave him credit for winning % and pretty much starting our program…. I don’t know how to compare tourney resumes with the set up they had during the 60’s and 70’s…..This years Vols team might not have made the tourney in the set i they had back when Mears was here. I have no issue with anyone picking Barnes as I feel it is very close between the two of them.

Last edited:
Yep, you're legitimately not right in the head.

You heard it hear first folks. Tennessee basketball has 113 failing seasons. Truly a bottom barrel program.

Nevermind that it's totally irrational to EXPECT a college basketball team to go to the Elite 8 every season.

But hey, he told a bunch of kids they were failures despite having the best season in a decade. A great tactic.
I never told anyone they were failures…. We failed to reach our goal… Yes…. 113 years we have failed to reach the goal which I feel like being the top 8 teams in the country is a huge accomplishment..You can always set goals low enough to where you can feel like a success. Isn’t that what this trophy generation about?

Part reason why a lot of people like other coaches more than barnes is because of the style of play difference. It’s a lot easier selling tickets playing a Roy Williams style of basketball than it is for Tony Bennett basketball

Part reason why a lot of people like other coaches more than barnes is because of the style of play difference. It’s a lot easier selling tickets playing a Roy Williams style of basketball than it is for Tony Bennett basketball
Barnes has been successful here, just saying the obvious. A lot easier to fire people up for a more watchable product

Reactions: SoilVol
I love the Tennessee Volunteers!!! GBO!
borat-high-five.gif

He's got to be one of the stupidest people to get a Division 1 CFB head coaching job. He sees a land mine and by god he's going to step on it.

Or maybe he just knows Kirby and Pittman well enough to know that they won't think anything of it. If that little punk has any sort of sustained success I'm gonna have a full blown come apart.

Pitino is a snake and the the NCAA is a multi tiered infractions org.

ncaa-iarp-penalties-louisville-basketball.html
  • As a repeat offender charged with one Level I violation and four Level II violations, the men’s basketball team could have faced multiyear postseason bans but instead received just two years probation, a reduction in the number of unofficial visits allowed, a two-week reduction in recruiting communication and a $5,000 fine.

You're either trolling or legitimately not right in the head.

A Sweet 16 is a success. Not making the tournament is a failure. In between is a disappointment.

An Elite 8 will be an overachievement unless we are a Top 2 seed. Come down to Earth
Seeding is already a result of the reason as a whole, so I don't really see the logic here. The reason we are a 4 and not a 1 or a 2 is the result of underachieving down the stretch.

I am a big Barnes fan, In fact, I am a fan of all of our coaches.

An effective AD always has a list of 3-5 names you would go to IF you had to. My son and i had this conversation over the weekend. Who do you think would be on that list?

For basketball...man I don't know, not sure if DW would try to bring in a known name or find the next hot coach from a lower level school.

Kim English would likely be on my list somewhere, probably not the first call but he has good experience and is now doing pretty well at George Mason. Went 20-13 in his 2nd year there.

Paul Mills at Oral Roberts would be on the radar. Had two rough years to start, but has now built a respectable program there. They've made 2 NCAA tournaments and won the conference tournament twice now.

Darian DeVries over at Drake is also on the radar, might be the top smaller school name too. Has won at least 20 games every year and made 2 NCAA tournaments. In just 5 seasons he's already 2nd all time in wins there and also 2nd in winning %.

Steve Forbes being a former TN guy and having coached at ETSU as well, he's managed to turn Wake Forest into a solid program in his 3 seasons there.

Last edited:
I gave him credit for winning % and pretty much starting our program…. I don’t know how to compare tourney resumes with the set up they had during the 60’s and 70’s…..This years Vols team might not have made the tourney in the set i they had back when Mears was here. I have no issue with anyone picking Barnes as I feel it is very close between the two of them.

As a 4 seed you'd be in any tournament with 16 or fewer teams. Barnes' teams have been no lower than a 5 seed, so he would have made every single tournament that he has this era as if he was in the 60/70s. Because top 5 seeds or better would only be a total of 20 teams. And the smallest tournament that Mears coached during was 25 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back