Transfer Portal 22-23

I actually prefer the portal over high school at this point. It might be a little tougher to get things to gel, but those players are proven and know what they want. More mature in a number of ways.

Gotcha. I’d prefer a talented freshman that’s college ready from day one, fully bought in, and ready to learn from an experienced core.

I agree, I think Jill will be the starting 4

Karo will give us a massive punch off the bench. She is starting to stroke the 3 and has proven she can bang with the best of them in the SEC.

I’m working on the assumption Horston does not come back (hope she does though!!!).

I see Powell/Miles, Darby, Jackson, Hollingshed, Key.

I think Jackson will move more to the 3 and improve her handle and 3 point shot. Those are the only things that can really improve her WNBA draft stock.

Karo, Puckett and Pissott will provide big minutes off the bench.

Also makes you wonder if this wasn’t an issue with our 2023 HS recruiting. If the staff already had an idea Jackson would be back along with Key and POSSIBLY Jordy…might have deterred some as they would be way, way down the depth chart.

I know I am one of the few who seem to really think we need to look at BK in the PG spot. Yes she does not look to shoot which I think she needs to work on that, but I still think she is the best defender we have. Other than scoring I think she is an upgrade over Powell. Just my thought from reading through some of these posts it seems like a lot of people will disagree with that as they want her to transfer.

I would take Jada. Not sure about the other two...
She has the most experience actually playing, but Hunter has the most upside and is the better shooter. Zyanna hasn't played enough at this level to see what she can do. She was a top fifty rated player couldn't get on the floor but 53 minutes all season for Louisville. When she did she played well.

I actually prefer the portal over high school at this point. It might be a little tougher to get things to gel, but those players are proven and know what they want. More mature in a number of ways.
You can get experienced players that are ready to play. Freshmen are seldom ready to play at this level just a few can do it.

Reactions: VolBall09
Romi Levy (6-3 RS SO forward, Herzliya, Israel) has entered her name into the portal, out of Auburn

She has the most experience actually playing, but Hunter has the most upside and is the better shooter. Zyanna hasn't played enough at this level to see what she can do. She was a top fifty rated player couldn't get on the floor but 53 minutes all season for Louisville. When she did she played well.
Jayda Curry is the proven commodity. Kyndall Hunter chose not to play at all this season; also opted out of several games last season at Texas. The only reasons provided for her not playing were "family reasons" or "personal reasons". She stopped attending practices, and did not sit on the bench or in the stands supporting her teammates. Her social media for the last several months was full of posts regarding mental health. She might just need a change of scenery, or she's a risk if her personal struggles follow her to her next school.

Hunter doesn't like to play defense, and does not have very good lateral quickness for a 5'7 guard; got beat a lot by opponents' guards as her first step reaction is slow. She is a great shooter from beyond the arc; I think Arkansas' or Oklahoma's style of play and lack of defensive intensity might suit her well.

You don’t think there’s a chance?
I'd give it about this much
dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

There's no upside to Jordy's return for her.
She is a lottery pick now and though her game has grown, her habits have not diminished

Unlike Rickea who has flourished here and seems to be able to grow her game while growing her collegiate NIL,,,Jordan has not marketed her visibility and I see her as seeing the W as a better path

Last edited:
I'd give it about this much
dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

There's no upside to Jordy's return for her.
She is a lottery pick now and though her game has grown, her habits have not diminished

Unlike Rickea who has flourished here and seems to be able to grow her game while growing her collegiate NIL,,,Jordan has not marketed her visibility and I see her as seeing the W as a better path
I hate when you make sense. Though JH leaving and RJ staying was the last thing any of us geniouses predicted, it is true that what needs fixin in those two is probably best fixed where they are apparently headed. JH probably needs a reset after 4 yrs to fix habits. RJ needs a ton more 3 pt shots up in college practice and games. Also true that Jordy doesn't seem to have as much interest in NIL.

Boy that would be a hole in the heart without her next yr and a big ole hole in the stat sheets. That's alot of versitility to replace.

Just hope both will be happy and productive where they end up.

Dang, that Louisville coach ain't worth a dime recruiting and retaining.
What's next? Van Lith in the portal?

I don’t think she’s going anywhere and that is his problem with retention. She loves her and I’m just not that impressed. He plays her way too many minutes and has the ball in her hands far too much ImO. That’s why others are leaving, not a good team environment from the outside looking in.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t think she’s going anywhere and that is his problem with retention. She loves her and I’m just not that impressed. He plays her way too many minutes and has the ball in her hands far too much ImO. That’s why others are leaving, not a good team environment from the outside looking in.
You could say the same about Horston.....

You could say the same about Horston.....

Nah very different. Horston is a much better passer and she and Jackson have nearly the same number of attempts on the season.

Vanlith has 200+ more shot attempts than the next closest teammate. She’s not a passer and cannot create her own shot. Has to rely on mid-range jumpers, which she’s is good at, but not very efficient.

Makes their offense extremely one dimensional and makes them easier to guard.

Her numbers are a lot like Kea’s when she was at MSST. A volume shooter and volume scorer but it’s not benefitting her team.

HS recruiting has been a problem and still is from what i can see. Next year this will be a make or break for KJH with the players that have decided to come back. Nothing less then a NC i think with or without Horston. This also i think keeps Pissott right where she is now on the depth chart. We can agree to disagree.

@djtee I respect your opinion. However, must point out, currently we have the same team ( minus Jordan Horston) that finished third in the SEC. Knowing you post here often and are not a wild eyed drive-by poster, I accept your opinion as good faith input.

The key to getting better next year is not on this team yet. I think we must seriously upgrade our PG. Walker and Powell have good handles. Walker has a decent three ball but suffers with consistency. Powell nor Walker can finish at the rim which is paramount to getting better going forward. In the men's game this is a Kenny Chandler or a ZZ. This is an absolute must fill. Without a new an improved PG we will not be better.

Second we need a lock down defender. When I say this I think of someone like
A. Hornbucke. A stat line stuffer who can shut down the other teams best player.

We need Jordan Horston to return as well. She needs to become a three level scorer. She is excellent at two levels; midrange and at the rim but is terribly inconsitent with the three ball.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer just a realist. I see a lot of drive-bys touting our potential to go 39 and 0 next year with Rikea's commitment. Those folks need to tap the brakes. I say again our current projected 23/24 team is not as good (on paper) as our 22/23 team. I am unwilling to get out over my skis until we have more pieces of the puzzle.

VN Store

Back