Transfer Portal 22-23

There’s no reason to replace players that will be entering their junior or sophomore seasons that have contributed as underclassmen which is the case for Puckett, Striplin, and Wynn in limited minutes. The only positions Tennessee need to fill is a versatile PG/G and add depth at C. The top options in the portal should be players entering their sophomore or junior seasons. We don’t need more veterans for the next year or two.

HS recruiting has been a problem and still is from what i can see. Next year this will be a make or break for KJH with the players that have decided to come back. Nothing less then a NC i think with or without Horston. This also i think keeps Pissott right where she is now on the depth chart. We can agree to disagree.

One in the portal is Jada Walker who is similar to those players. Someone mentioned Wells from Belmont who would be ideal with her perimeter shooting and defense.

I haven't seen Wells play that much outside of our matchup last season. I would take Walker because she's proven herself in the SEC night in/night out.

I haven't seen Wells play that much outside of our matchup last season. I would take Walker because she's proven herself in the SEC night in/night out.
Walker is the only one available at this time none of the others are in the portal probably none of them will be. Wells is an amazing shooter and can guard think she probably isn't going portal just that she fits in to make this team a lot better if she were to go portal.

Reactions: ttharp
Tennessee has a projected WNBA lottery pick Rickea Jackson that has made an announcement she’s returning next season.
Tennessee has an All-SEC C Tamari Key who announced she is returning after missing the 2022-2023 season.
They are awaiting the decisions of Jasmine Powell and projected WNBA lottery pick Jordan Horston.
If someone thinks Tennessee staff has any kind of issue recruiting then continue to hold onto that theory. The lack of recruiting topic is closed for good after the decisions made by Tamari Key and Rickea Jackson plus the emergence of Jillian Hollingshead and Karoline Striplin this season.

Tennessee has a projected WNBA lottery pick Rickea Jackson that has made an announcement she’s returning next season.
Tennessee has an All-SEC C Tamari Key who announced she is returning after missing the 2022-2023 season.
They are awaiting the decisions of Jasmine Powell and projected WNBA lottery pick Jordan Horston.
If someone thinks Tennessee staff has any kind of issue recruiting then continue to hold onto that theory. The lack of recruiting topic is closed for good after the decisions made by Tamari Key and Rickea Jackson plus the emergence of Jillian Hollingshead and Karoline Striplin this season.
I’m starting to think this is another Mississippi account in disguise.

Absurd post. Jackson's and Key's decisions have nothing to do with recruiting. ZERO. Key's pro potential is very limited. Jackson has tons of pro potential, and no reputable coach would try to talk a player who would easily be a top 5 pick into staying in college. Therefore, Jackson made the decision on her own, for reasons that are her own--one of which is likely to have been that WNBA contracts are pitiful. She's destined to get some good endorsement deals when or soon after she turns pro, which would probably exceed her WNBA salary, so in that sense she might be leaving some money on the table. Maybe she wants to get a graduate degree--another possibility. But these decisions have nothing to do with recruiting.

Absurd post. Jackson's and Key's decisions have nothing to do with recruiting. ZERO. Key's pro potential is very limited. Jackson has tons of pro potential, and no reputable coach would try to talk a player who would easily be a top 5 pick into staying in college. Therefore, Jackson made the decision on her own, for reasons that are her own--one of which is likely to have been that WNBA contracts are pitiful. She's destined to get some good endorsement deals when or soon after she turns pro, which would probably exceed her WNBA salary, so in that sense she might be leaving some money on the table. Maybe she wants to get a graduate degree--another possibility. But these decisions have nothing to do with recruiting.
It definitely bridges another gap and also gives the opportunity to make this team even stronger in the portal for next season. The main thing it does is move the recruiting failures of 2023 to 2024 cause if you get a top ten class in that year it has definitely had something to do with recruiting so we'll have to wait and see if these players deciding to stay has effectively put Tennessee back on the map for a great recruiting class.

Tennessee started this season ranked #5 in the country with a 16 player roster.
In March, they enter the NCAA tourney as a Top 16 seed with 14 players active and All-SEC C Tamari Key out due to a medical diagnosis who is cleared to return in 2023-2024. Key recently announced she will return to TN. All-American Rickea Jackson announced she will return to TN.
Next season, Tennessee is now projected to return 3/4 of this years roster already in March. I don’t know how anyone sees recruiting as a failure with those kind of factors in the programs favor. Basketball and college sports have changed for atleast this decade with the portal. Classifications don’t mean much until a player enters college now. You don’t recruit for four years with the portal.
Every recruiting cycle is year to year.

Wynn and miles should look to transfer for better fits puckett is who we need to rerecruit but i forgot about marta as well so its gone be a interesting offseason
Can the coach make a player leave for the portal? I would say an honest year end discussion of future playing time would send some players to the portal.

Can the coach make a player leave for the portal? I would say an honest year end discussion of future playing time would send some players to the portal.
I honestly think every program now basically do end of the year exit interviews per se with players now with the portal to gauge where the player is...so im sure they will help them get somewhere or not cuz honestly those two are just not a good fit...we dnt need dead weight on scholarships especially if we not going to be great at recruiting high school players

Reactions: Deebowbear
HS recruiting has been a problem and still is from what i can see. Next year this will be a make or break for KJH with the players that have decided to come back. Nothing less then a NC i think with or without Horston. This also i think keeps Pissott right where she is now on the depth chart. We can agree to disagree.
Serous Clark???

With a year of off season work, I expect her to be a real contributor next year. Remember, she missed almost all o preseason work last year because of her participation in the All American games. Therefore. I do disagree.

If you see a lot of players coming back that were playing ahead of you this season you have to know that your not playing next season unless you become a lot better basketball player. What Coach Kellie needs is more perimeter shooters that are consistent both in making those shots and being able to guard the position. It is obvious to anyone that has watched Tennessee is that the major problem is we need more perimeter shooters that can make threes at a consistent percentage. I think a few players we have that are eligible to come back do not help that situation so you need to go in the portal and get them. Tennessee could be really great next season if they had some better players at the guard positions.

Reactions: Deebowbear
If you see a lot of players coming back that were playing ahead of you this season you have to know that your not playing next season unless you become a lot better basketball player. What Coach Kellie needs is more perimeter shooters that are consistent both in making those shots and being able to guard the position. It is obvious to anyone that has watched Tennessee is that the major problem is we need more perimeter shooters that can make threes at a consistent percentage. I think a few players we have that are eligible to come back do not help that situation so you need to go in the portal and get them. Tennessee could be really great next season if they had some better players at the guard positions.

I think you have another one on the bench in Justine which would help as long as she continues to develop her all around game. I think you go get another PG out the portal, another shooter/scorer and another post. We know we have two scholarships with Franklin and walker leaving. But i have a feeling Jesse won't come back and Marta may stay home. Then Jordy has to make a decision. I do not think any of the other players leave but there is always that but i hope they stay and improve !

I think you have another one on the bench in Justine which would help as long as she continues to develop her all around game. I think you go get another PG out the portal, another shooter/scorer and another post. We know we have two scholarships with Franklin and walker leaving. But i have a feeling Jesse won't come back and Marta may stay home. Then Jordy has to make a decision. I do not think any of the other players leave but there is always that but i hope they stay and improve !
I am so excited about Justine having this summer to work on her game!! It is so hard to really work on your sport while competing.

Miles, wynn probably need to move on. Hate to say this but maybe Puckett don’t think quick enough to guard and seems lost at time. Thought she would’ve done better this year

VN Store

Back