Transfer Portal 22-23

Yeah she is fun to watch. One of those players that is going to hit 3 in a row if she sinks one. Hope we ride hard for her. She’s the right size for what we need, has speed, a beautiful shot and potential to be a lock down defender.

Don’t think it bodes well for Texas that players are announcing transfers before their season is even over.
Hunter hasn't played all season. I think it was a foregone conclusion that she was (has) moving on.

I agree. For as much as people have overrated what she can do/how much she should be playing this season, I think a lot of folks on here are underestimating how many players like her (who were high school All-American, 5-star recruits) can make a huge leap from their freshman to sophomore seasons. Regardless of what happens with Horston, I see Justine playing a much larger role next year.

One can hope.

All scholarships are only guaranteed for a year at a time. The coach always has the option not to renew the scholarship

Sooooooooooo many people either do not know or understand how it works this way but it is true. Now some institutions have as a rule or commandment from their ADs they honor only 4 year schollys even if it doesn't pan out. Other institutions leave it entirely up to the coaches. Coches have their ways to ensure players are no longer welcome if they want their slots and the players move on their own. However some coaches are RUTHLESS and dangle that scholly over a player's head like the Sword of Damacles using it in their minds as a motivational tool. I had a friend who played a sport in college and spent his senior year on half scholarship, not fully funded, because the coach wanted better performance from him. He became an All American that same senior year. To this day bad mouth's the coach, bad mouth's the institution, and does everything he can to discourage kids from going to school there even though the coach has not been there for years and years.

I agree. For as much as people have overrated what she can do/how much she should be playing this season, I think a lot of folks on here are underestimating how many players like her (who were high school All-American, 5-star recruits) can make a huge leap from their freshman to sophomore seasons.

Seeing how little the current sophomores developed from their first season, I'm not as optimistic as you. And unlike a couple of them, Pissott has been a TOTAL nonfactor her rookie year...

Reactions: volcity
Boston College sophomore Maria Gakdeng has entered the transfer portal. The 6'3 center was the Eagles' best player this year, averaging 11.3 pts, 6.5 reb, and 1.8 blk, after making the ACC All-Freshman team last season.
Gakdeng is great can’t believe she’s in portal. Probably wants to be on a tournament team. BC was very young this year tho was going to be good I thought

Boston College sophomore Maria Gakdeng has entered the transfer portal. The 6'3 center was the Eagles' best player this year, averaging 11.3 pts, 6.5 reb, and 1.8 blk, after making the ACC All-Freshman team last season.

Really nice player. We don’t really have a spot for her but I could see her in the SEC. I’ll bet Ole Miss and Vandy go after her.

Vandy has got to find some size somewhere. They had it with Amauri Williams but she gone.

Ideal depth chart for next year...

First string
1 Portal... Need a PG that can defend, shoot, and not turnover
2 Portal... Need a great shooter/defender
3 Horston
4 Jackson
5 Key

Second string
1 Powell
2 Darby
3 Puckett
4 Striplin
5 Hollingshead

First string
3 Horston
4 Jackson
5 Key

Second string
1 Powell
2 Darby
3 Puckett
4 Striplin
5 Hollingshead
I believe Jillian will be in starting line up next season. JMO.

First string
3 Horston
4 Jackson
5 Key

Second string
1 Powell
2 Darby
3 Puckett
4 Striplin
5 Hollingshead

The problem with your first 5 is that there is no 3-point shooter--you'd have to find a player in the portal who can shoot it as well as Darby (or better)
and play better defense.

Also, Hollingshead is a better offensive player than Key--and by next year will be even more so. Doesn't give us the shot-blocking, true. I generally think shot-blocking is overrated, but given how many times we get beat off the dribble it helps to have a paint presence. However, teams pull centers away from the basket, and that makes it easier for ball-handlers to get to the basket. I'm not nearly as high on Key as many people--very big, but simply not athletic. How many made baskets did she average before getting hurt? I'd say the answer is two, maybe three.

Reactions: volcity
I believe Jillian will be in starting line up next season. JMO.

I agree, I think Jill will be the starting 4

Karo will give us a massive punch off the bench. She is starting to stroke the 3 and has proven she can bang with the best of them in the SEC.

I’m working on the assumption Horston does not come back (hope she does though!!!).

I see Powell/Miles, Darby, Jackson, Hollingshed, Key.

I think Jackson will move more to the 3 and improve her handle and 3 point shot. Those are the only things that can really improve her WNBA draft stock.

Karo, Puckett and Pissott will provide big minutes off the bench.

Also makes you wonder if this wasn’t an issue with our 2023 HS recruiting. If the staff already had an idea Jackson would be back along with Key and POSSIBLY Jordy…might have deterred some as they would be way, way down the depth chart.

The problem with your first 5 is that there is no 3-point shooter--you'd have to find a player in the portal who can shoot it as well as Darby (or better)
and play better defense.

Also, Hollingshead is a better offensive player than Key--and by next year will be even more so. Doesn't give us the shot-blocking, true. I generally think shot-blocking is overrated, but given how many times we get beat off the dribble it helps to have a paint presence. However, teams pull centers away from the basket, and that makes it easier for ball-handlers to get to the basket. I'm not nearly as high on Key as many people--very big, but simply not athletic. How many made baskets did she average before getting hurt? I'd say the answer is two, maybe three.
She didn’t get hurt. She had blood clots in her lungs starting before the season which impacted everything about her game. Better to look at last year’s offensive performance. I believe she had numerous good offensive games.
How does a fan not know about her health struggles from the get go this year? She didn’t even look like the same player.

and play better defense.

She was close to averaging a double double last season, when fully healthy, did you just start following the team this year?

Also makes you wonder if this wasn’t an issue with our 2023 HS recruiting. If the staff already had an idea Jackson would be back along with Key and POSSIBLY Jordy…might have deterred some as they would be way, way down the depth chart.

I wish we could’ve at least gotten Madison Booker. She would be my candidate to start at the start 2 if Horston doesn’t return. Of the guards we know are coming back that play the 2, none are better than Booker imo.

And the fact that she’s going to Texas to play for Vic let’s me know her defense is college ready.

I wish we could’ve at least gotten Madison Booker. She would be my candidate to start at the start 2 if Horston doesn’t return. Of the guards we know are coming back that play the 2, none are better than Booker imo.

And the fact that she’s going to Texas to play for Vic let’s me know her defense is college ready.

Maybe she decomits???

and play better defense.

You must have missed where I want us to add 2 starting guards, both above average on defense and shooting the 3. If we can't get these skills we'll just have to role with Powell and Darby starting.

Key is an elite defender. I'll go as far as to say she is the best defensive center in the nation. We don't need her to be very good offensively, get a couple high percentage post ups and a couple offensive put backs each game.

Never know.

We also lost out on Shade. And that was before Rickea committed to TN. She’s another player that could start at the 2. Also think Velez could’ve been the best option at the PG next year. I’m belaboring the point.

Hope we find some solid pieces in the portal.

I actually prefer the portal over high school at this point. It might be a little tougher to get things to gel, but those players are proven and know what they want. More mature in a number of ways.

VN Store

Back