Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

Best record in the conference including an SEC tournament championship. Fire the coach. What a bunch of idiots. Barnes is an outstanding coach. I am ok with him coaching as long as he likes as long as he is doing well.

I truly don't believe there is a sizeable contingent of Barnes needs to go.....

I do think that Barnes is getting to the age where the uncomfy conversation will start crowing louder about what the Post Barnes era looks like.

Do I think Barnes should have sizeable input on his replacement? Not really. Do I think he should be consulted and offer up some candidates for White to atleast interview? Of course.... I would find it hard to see Tennessee going from paying $5-6M for Barnes to just hiring a Mid Major for $2-3M without looking at P5 names.

Reactions: hog88 and berryvol
I truly don't believe there is a sizeable contingent of Barnes needs to go.....

I do think that Barnes is getting to the age where the uncomfy conversation will start crowing louder about what the Post Barnes era looks like.

Do I think Barnes should have sizeable input on his replacement? Not really. Do I think he should be consulted and offer up some candidates for White to atleast interview? Of course.... I would find it hard to see Tennessee going from paying $5-6M for Barnes to just hiring a Mid Major for $2-3M without looking at P5 names.
I think his situation is just a reflection of where most schools are with their fan bases. When a coach is hired, there's a "new/freshness" to him. After 6-7 years, things get stale if you aren't bringing home hardware consistently. Everyone wants that new car smell or that possibility of what they might get with a new head coach. They forget the depths they've seen and always look at the shiny object. There's a reason a lot of Texas fans didn't shed tear when he left. Same for UCF regarding Heupel. Human nature. Fatigue sets in after a period of time. Guys and gals my age have seen the full spectrum. We know what it can be and have lived the darkest of times. Age does bring perspective. You appreciate what you have while you have it.

Best record in the conference including an SEC tournament championship. Fire the coach. What a bunch of idiots. Barnes is an outstanding coach. I am ok with him coaching as long as he likes as long as he is doing well.
Also I felt like the media built the team up too much early on. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I thought this was supposed to be a down year. Had no idea they'd reach #1 and I think they deserved it. Gonna be hard to judge this years tourney run with ZZ out.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I think his situation is just a reflection of where most schools are with their fan bases. When a coach is hired, there's a "new/freshness" to him. After 6-7 years, things get stale if you aren't bringing home hardware consistently. Everyone wants that new car smell or that possibility of what they might get with a new head coach. They forget the depths they've seen and always look at the shiny object. There's a reason a lot of Texas fans didn't shed tear when he left. Same for UCF regarding Heupel. Human nature. Fatigue sets in after a period of time. Guys and gals my age have seen the full spectrum. We know what it can be and have lived the darkest of times. Age does bring perspective. You appreciate what you have while you have it.

Correct. I believe that. I still think if you told most fans when Barnes was hired we'd get 8+ years, consistently in tourney without being on bubble watch while churning in and out top ranked recruits, everyone would say yes.

Also I felt like the media built the team up too much early on. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly but I thought this was supposed to be a down year. Had no idea they'd reach #1 and I think they deserved it. Gonna be hard to judge this years tourney run with ZZ out.

Needlessly picky perhaps, but #2 was actually the highest ranking we reached this season. Of course there is that little matter of the football team…

And I’d say yes to another 8 years today.
CRB can stay as long as he wants he has been successful here but when he leaves I think two coaches doing really decent jobs are Kim English at GM and Schwartz done really good in first year at East Carolina two coaches who could replace Barnes in the future.

CRB can stay as long as he wants he has been successful here but when he leaves I think two coaches doing really decent jobs are Kim English at GM and Schwartz done really good in first year at East Carolina two coaches who could replace Barnes in the future.

Until he's 90?

Wake up people, this is a reoccurring theme. Same thing happened in March against Oregon State and has been happening under Barnes. He is not a good coach, the game has passed him by. WAKE THE **** UP
No need n screaming maybe let you hire the next coach and then we scream when your guy sucks just

How did that badly coached team beat Alabama, Kansas and Texas.
We always have regular season success under Barnes. What the hell does any of that matter when we always lose first/second game of NCAA tournament? Bama and Kansas are overrated and we played Texas shortly after they lost their HC. You need to also talk about losing to horrible Auburn, Colorado, UF, Vanderbilt, etc

My dad said something the other day and I am starting to agree possibly with that.

Rick Barnes maybe too hard on the players or practice them too hard. I think sometimes when you want to win too much it backfires on you.

Of course it is March, same people criticizing Rick Barnes maybe calling him a genius by the end of this week.

We always have regular season success under Barnes. What the hell does any of that matter when we always lose first/second game of NCAA tournament? Bama and Kansas are overrated and we played Texas shortly after they lost their HC. You need to also talk about losing to horrible Auburn, Colorado, UF, Vanderbilt, etc
The Bama who has 1 conference loss, in a conference that might get 9 teams in the tourney?? 🤣🤣🤣

VN Store

Back