key will be back playing next year on rocky top "my journey is not yet finished" facebook

All the current references I could find for the medical were 30% of games played. Some updated through January 2023. Got a link?
Medical Redshirting
Obviously, athletes do not want to obtain a medical redshirt at the beginning of their college sports career. However, when playing sports at this level, injuries can and do happen. A medical redshirt can save a year of eligibility that you might have lost due to an injury.
In 2018 there was an NCAA medical redshirt rule change. According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”
The hope is that this new rule change will decrease the frequency of season-ending injuries. Wear and tear can cause injuries to happen, and when they do happen, they are often severe. Allowing younger athletes to play in a few games over the course of a season can help the seasoned players keep their bodies fresh. Due to the recency of this rule change, it is too soon to tell if there is any evidence to back up this reasoning. However, with the rise in public concern over concussions, I think it was the right move to make for the NCAA.
First half of the season needs to be defined in games. Still the 30 percent rule would be 12 games so I will go with that as the rule.

Medical Redshirting
Obviously, athletes do not want to obtain a medical redshirt at the beginning of their college sports career. However, when playing sports at this level, injuries can and do happen. A medical redshirt can save a year of eligibility that you might have lost due to an injury.
In 2018 there was an NCAA medical redshirt rule change. According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season. You must provide documentation of the injury, and it must be considered season-ending.”
The hope is that this new rule change will decrease the frequency of season-ending injuries. Wear and tear can cause injuries to happen, and when they do happen, they are often severe. Allowing younger athletes to play in a few games over the course of a season can help the seasoned players keep their bodies fresh. Due to the recency of this rule change, it is too soon to tell if there is any evidence to back up this reasoning. However, with the rise in public concern over concussions, I think it was the right move to make for the NCAA.
First half of the season needs to be defined in games. Still the 30 percent rule would be 12 games so I will go with that as the rule.
A little more current:
Auburn's Chance Westry faces 'very real possibility' of a medical redshirt

According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season.Jan 4, 2023

So 2023 still 30 percent.

cutoff is now 6 games.
If it is only 6 games and a waiver is out of the question, then they should put her in a uniform and state that she is available to play throughout the tournament even if she just sits on the bench. I believe Tamari's availability would make some type of difference for seeding purposes. None of us know her health status at this point, although, she is in every practice every day and it is rumored that she has been doing cardio work for about a month now. It would definitely give the committee another consideration when finalizing the seedings.

Reactions: lvocd
According to the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Compliance, Scott Young, “the NCAA has two requirements for a medical redshirt; the injury must have occurred in the first half of the season, and the athlete must have competed in less than 30 percent of the season.Jan 4, 2023

So 2023 still 30 percent.
I like this answer better:)

I am glad to hear that she is both able to play physically and wants to remain a LV. Key wouldn't have cured every ill the team had this year but her absence was felt.

What the team looks like next year is still a wild card but at least there is one experienced and solid player coming back.

Reactions: travis929
Would be amazing to see her back at Tennessee next season. Key and Hollingshead with Striplin and Puckett at the four takes care of two positions quite well. Darby and Pissott to shoot the threes so your looking for guards. Great guards hope we can find them.
Wnit at best

I am glad to hear that she is both able to play physically and wants to remain a LV. Key wouldn't have cured every ill the team had this year but her absence was felt.

What the team looks like next year is still a wild card but at least there is one experienced and solid player coming back.
I think not having her was good for the team, that gave Rickea the space in the paint to do her thing.

Reactions: dillyo51
The exact wording of the medical hardship waiver provision included in the 22-23 NCAA Regulations that would apply to Tamari Key's situation:

"(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of
competition or 30 percent of the maximum number of contests or dates of competition of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship as set forth in Bylaw 17 for the applicable sport plus one contest or date of competition,
whichever is greater."

The following is also applicable:

"17.4.5.2 Maximum Limitations -- Institutional -- Women's Basketball. In women's basketball, institution shall
limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the playing season to one of the following
(except for those contests excluded under Bylaw 17.4.5.6): (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20,
1/20/22 effective 8/1/22 a contract signed before 6/23/21 may be honored)
(a) 28 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event per Bylaw 17.4.5.2.1 that
does not exceed three contests per team;
(b) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event (see Bylaw 17.4.5.2.1) that
does not exceed two contests per team; or
(c) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) during a playing season in which the institution does not participate in a qualifying
regular-season multiple-team event.
17.4.5.2.1 Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event -- Women's Basketball. In women's
basketball, qualifying regular-season multiple-team event is one in which: (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/26/07
effective 8/1/07, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16, 4/26/17, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18, 6/26/19 effective
8/1/19, 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20, 1/20/22 effective 8/1/22 a contract signed before 6/23/21 may be honored)
(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association or the
Women's Basketball Coaches Association;
(b) The event includes not more than three contests per institution and concludes not later than 14 days after the first
contest of the event;
(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in
the same event in any four-year period; and
(d) Each participating institution is using the same applicable option [Bylaw 17.4.5.2-(a) or (b)] as its maximum
contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event. "

Based on my reading, even if one did not consider the Battle for Atlantis, under any calculation since Tamari Key played in only 9 games, she qualifies for a hardship waiver for medical reasons.

Jim

I’m willing to bet some of you posters can barely walk in a straight line or jump off ground on both feet.. so stop trying to diminish Tamari Key’s career because of your disdain for the program. What have you accomplished as an athlete to judge Tamari? Key has tremendous respect around WCBB from players and coaches. The game she returns to the court will be highly anticipated! This is great for the LV’s and WCBB!

The exact wording of the medical hardship waiver provision included in the 22-23 NCAA Regulations that would apply to Tamari Key's situation:

"(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of
competition or 30 percent of the maximum number of contests or dates of competition of the playing season that concludes
with the NCAA championship as set forth in Bylaw 17 for the applicable sport plus one contest or date of competition,
whichever is greater."

The following is also applicable:

"17.4.5.2 Maximum Limitations -- Institutional -- Women's Basketball. In women's basketball, institution shall
limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition during the playing season to one of the following
(except for those contests excluded under Bylaw 17.4.5.6): (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20,
1/20/22 effective 8/1/22 a contract signed before 6/23/21 may be honored)
(a) 28 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event per Bylaw 17.4.5.2.1 that
does not exceed three contests per team;
(b) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple-team event (see Bylaw 17.4.5.2.1) that
does not exceed two contests per team; or
(c) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) during a playing season in which the institution does not participate in a qualifying
regular-season multiple-team event.
17.4.5.2.1 Qualifying Regular-Season Multiple-Team Event -- Women's Basketball. In women's
basketball, qualifying regular-season multiple-team event is one in which: (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 4/26/07
effective 8/1/07, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 4/28/16 effective 8/1/16, 4/26/17, 4/25/18 effective 8/1/18, 6/26/19 effective
8/1/19, 4/30/20 effective 8/1/20, 1/20/22 effective 8/1/22 a contract signed before 6/23/21 may be honored)
(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active member or a member conference of the Association or the
Women's Basketball Coaches Association;
(b) The event includes not more than three contests per institution and concludes not later than 14 days after the first
contest of the event;
(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in
the same event in any four-year period; and
(d) Each participating institution is using the same applicable option [Bylaw 17.4.5.2-(a) or (b)] as its maximum
contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event. "

Based on my reading, even if one did not consider the Battle for Atlantis, under any calculation since Tamari Key played in only 9 games, she qualifies for a hardship waiver for medical reasons.

Jim
I believe she has a Covid year remaining.

I believe she has a Covid year remaining.

Yeah, I don't know why people are bringing up the medical thing. Maybe they're getting greedy and want two more years. But in this case, I'd say "hey, you're getting an extra year, let's just be cool with that. Very, very cool with that."

It’s crazy how some of u are over valuing her, do u not remember how she played?

I do remember how Key played. So are you referring to this season, when she was physically compromised by potentially fatal blood clots in her lungs, or last season when she was a one-women destruction crew for opposing offenses and showed tremendous improvement in her own offensive game?

FYI, her no-blood clot season probably is the better reference point.

Last edited:
It’s crazy how some of u are over valuing her, do u not remember how she played?
Oh yes, I do. She was a large part of the reason we were ranked so highly in the preseason rankings. Tamari wasn’t feeling her best this year, but when she does:

“Key, who will return as a fifth-year player next season, has played in 99 games for Tennessee and started 93 of those contests. She was an All-SEC First Team selection leading up to the 2022-23 season and was a member of the SEC All-Defensive Team at the conclusion of the 2021-22 season. Key also holds the career blocks record at Tennessee.”

Tamari plays her best against the top teams’ biggest best post. When she feels good, she can score, rebound, and of course, block. The blocks are impressive, and demoralizing for the other team. She is a presence in the paint that cannot be ignored, and she is a difference maker.

We have two players who really stepped up their games, Jill and Striplin, and they will be a huge help to our team next year, with Tamari.

It was Big when we lost Tamari for this season, and it is BIG she’s coming back next year.

SO happy Tamari’s healthy, and coming back!

GO TAMARI!!!

VN Store

Back