Zakai Zeigler- Torn ACL

The problem with that is we are oversigned by two as things currently stand. We have three incoming freshmen and only one player out of eligibility. Even if you assume Santi and one of Josiah/Olivier/Uros to be gone, that’s still not enough to open a spot for a transfer. You would have to have 3 of the 4 seniors available to return opt out of doing so, or you would have to push out one or more of the younger players (which I definitely don’t think they want to do).

I think JJJ, ON, Santi and Uros all leave. One may stay but three will leave, imo.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I think JJJ, ON, Santi and Uros all leave. One may stay but three will leave, imo.

Now it sounds like JJJ is the most likely to return. He said that he is 100% undecided. On the other hand, Hyams talked to somebody familiar with the situation and conveyed that all 3 international players are probably NOT returning.

Man this sucks so badly. Hopefully, someone can step up.. I think many of those minutes will go to Mashack and bigs like Uros, Awaka, Aidoo since James will end up playing more at guard now.. unless Edwards can step it up.

I hate it for this season, but even next year. You're looking at 6-9 months, a year before he's healthy, he might not play next season.

I hate it for this season, but even next year. You're looking at 6-9 months, a year before he's healthy, he might not play next season.

That thought hadn’t crossed my mind, but ZZ could definitely red shirt. Hopefully ZZ will recover quickly but he will miss some time. Barnes always does the rt thing by his players so ZZ will have a lot to say if he wants to return next season if he is medically cleared.

As far as next season’s roster, Barnes must find a quality point guard in the portal.

That thought hadn’t crossed my mind, but ZZ could definitely red shirt. Hopefully ZZ will recover quickly but he will miss some time. Barnes always does the rt thing by his players so ZZ will have a lot to say if he wants to return next season if he is medically cleared.

As far as next season’s roster, Barnes must find a quality point guard in the portal.
I think it all depends on how BJE develops and how much time exactly ZZ will miss. I want an Elite post in the portal.

I think it all depends on how BJE develops and how much time exactly ZZ will miss. I want an Elite post in the portal.

I normally make no secret about how often I disagree with you, but I agree 100% on needing an elite post player. The numbers show that when we have Barnes has an elite post (Grant Williams ), his offense is capable of functioning pretty darn well. Without such a post player, though, the offense becomes suspect. Need BJ to develop at the point.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I normally make no secret about how often I disagree with you, but I agree 100% on needing an elite post player. The numbers show that when we have Barnes has an elite post (Grant Williams ), his offense is capable of functioning pretty darn well. Without such a post player, though, the offense becomes suspect. Need BJ to develop at the point.
I know more than people give me credit for.

Hopefully, but we just seemed to get burned on seeding. Literally won the Sec tournament last year and Lunardi said that it wasn’t taken into account. Still can’t get over that.
They have a thing called “scrubbing” where they go back decide if “team b is better than team a”. If yes, they move team b up 1, then ask the same question for team c. My guess is they scrubbed us to that certain ranking

They have a thing called “scrubbing” where they go back decide if “team b is better than team a”. If yes, they move team b up 1, then ask the same question for team c. My guess is they scrubbed us to that certain ranking
I’m not sure what that means, but it just sounds like a totally subjective process for them to reward blue bloods and screw over teams like UT.

To those wanting ZZ to rush back to play early next year, think about it. I would much rather he take as much time as needed. If that means a red shirt season next year and come back in top form year after, so be it. A mercenary fan mindset will do no one any good. He will try to come back as early as he thinks he can, but trashing the knee again would likely end any hope of him playing at any form of a next level.

To those wanting ZZ to rush back to play early next year, think about it. I would much rather he take as much time as needed. If that means a red shirt season next year and come back in top form year after, so be it. A mercenary fan mindset will do no one any good. He will try to come back as early as he thinks he can, but trashing the knee again would likely end any hope of him playing at any form of a next level.
I think the best option is for a Barnes to get a junior at pg and redshirt ZZ next year. ZZ isn’t likely going to have the same quickness next year which is going to make it hard for him to be effective. ZZ’s comeback year you will also potentially have the transfer pg and BJ or a new pg to help carry the load. I think when ZZ comes back putting in him in the role he played as freshman would work best for him.

I know Ronald Acuna for the Braves came back in 10 months. It used to be a year b4 anyone came back from an ACL.
Local high school kid came back around 8 1/2-9 months I believe. He was stiff still but was able to play and play well the last few games of the season.

Reactions: vols 30
Yep. He needs to do what's best for his health. I know this will sound like a shot against Barnes, but the guy put too much of a burden on ZZ and his body gave out. He'd had problems earlier, but UT just had to have the minutes from him because they didn't have the depth at PG. So no, I'd not rush back if I were ZZ. He's given more than enough to the program so far. Barnes needs do his job and get this roster straightened out thru the portal and recruiting.

Yep. He needs to do what's best for his health. I know this will sound like a shot against Barnes, but the guy put too much of a burden on ZZ and his body gave out. He'd had problems earlier, but UT just had to have the minutes from him because they didn't have the depth at PG. So no, I'd not rush back if I were ZZ. He's given more than enough to the program so far. Barnes needs do his job and get this roster straightened out thru the portal and recruiting.
This is such a horrible take, Zeigler averaged 29.7mpg this year, there are close to 1,000 players in college basketball averaging more MPG than Zeigler was.

Gee...I wonder why?

Damn, the 2 fan favorites both go down at he end of their season in almost identical fashion, Hendon and Zakai.

VN Store

Back