Crime and the United States

When I was Japan the crime rate was much lower than it was here. And with that came a much lower percentage of the population being in prison. One reason is that Japanese prisons are known for being very very strict. Much more strict than prisons here.
Their culture is a lot different too. Respect and discipline are instilled at a young age …. Rather than the gangsta rap, hip hop and white trash mentality

Nothing like having leaches all over you. The best is when they get around your private parts.
austin-powers-oh-behave.gif

You've obviously never been incarcerated. The issue isn't that they are "soft", it's that they do nothing to prepare those that get out, (the vast majority by the way), to be productive and good citizens once freed. In fact they do a lot to ensure it's very difficult for them.

Much of your thought process comes off as cold and heartless. Void of humanity and empathy....... This thinking breeds the conditions you speak out against.

I can agree with some of that but what I am proposing has basically been the system the USA utilized until the 20th Century as well as all of mankind prior to 1950s. Call it heartless but it was the system of the past.

I do think a lot of the soft felonies need to be moved down to misdemeanors or have lighter penalties. A good example is drug users. They don't belong in prison. Just ticket them similar to traffic violations. Go after the big cartels and heavy distributors, not small-time individuals.

What you are proposing is doing the same stuff over and over again, since the 60/70s it has been one tough on crime movement after another with longer sentences and harsher punishments. It hasn't worked. Why not put the money we spend on incarceration towards education (elementary and HS) so that a kid graduating HS and not wanting colege has job skills and is ready for the workforce. Gainfully employed people are probably the least likely to offend in the first place.

Why we're at it lets end the war on drugs, repeal the myriad of dumbass laws on the books, stop overcharging people who make mistakes and those that do end up incarcerated offer them trade schooling so when they get out (and most all do) they can get a job.

No it isn't. Tough on crime was more police officers which leads to more crap like we saw on Memphis. People in the United States are clearly not afraid to break the law.

Education isn't the solution as we have 99% literacy and most people educated. Education means nothing without jobs. Education won't equal jobs because jobs are based on supply and demand. I have heard that education would solve the problem but it has not. Less educated societies had far less crime (granted they were rural societies with jobs/occupations available). The secret is we need to have jobs to take with the education or it means nothing.

I can 100% agree with highlighted section.

No it isn't. Tough on crime was more police officers which leads to more crap like we saw on Memphis. People in the United States are clearly not afraid to break the law.

Education isn't the solution as we have 99% literacy and most people educated. Education means nothing without jobs. Education won't equal jobs because jobs are based on supply and demand. I have heard that education would solve the problem but it has not. Less educated societies had far less crime (granted they were rural societies with jobs/occupations available). The secret is we need to have jobs to take with the education or it means nothing.

I can 100% agree with highlighted section.

Have you not noticed all of the help wanted signs? Every welding shop, electrician, HVAC, mechanic shop, plumber is trying to hire, we have a major lack of even semi-skilled kids coming out of HS.

What you want to do is simply warehouse more people longer, we have been doing that for a few decades now and it hasn't worked. When you lock someone up and throw away the key you take all hope from them and all reason to reform themselves so you get incorrigible inmates with nothing to loose. And when those that do get out reenter society most are broken and can't or have a hard time reintegrating themselves so they end up re-offending.

Have you not noticed all of the help wanted signs? Every welding shop, electrician, HVAC, mechanic shop, plumber is trying to hire, we have a major lack of even semi-skilled kids coming out of HS.

What you want to do is simply warehouse more people longer, we have been doing that for a few decades now and it hasn't worked. When you lock someone up and throw away the key you take all hope from them and all reason to reform themselves so you get incorrigible inmates with nothing to loose. And when those that do get out reenter society most are broken and can't or have a hard time reintegrating themselves so they end up re-offending.

True but are the people that you are describing have the personal discipline and work ethic to do the jobs listed. There is a lot of laziness or lack of ambition/drive in people today.

True but are the people that you are describing have the personal discipline and work ethic to do the jobs listed. There is a lot of laziness or lack of ambition/drive in people today.

You're right, guess we should just lock them all up or execute them. You'll feel safer then.

'They're coming back in, please hurry': Terrified teen mom, 16, is heard in 911 call before she and her 10-month-old baby were executed by cartel gunman who wiped out entire family of six

This is the horrifying moment a desperate California mom hurled her 10-month-old baby over a fence as gang members closed in on her - before they were both shot dead execution-style.

Two arrested in connection with fatal shooting of six people in California family home | Daily Mail Online

Young off-duty cop is shot in the head while accompanying his brother to buy a car off Facebook Marketplace: Father-of-two, 26, left in critical condition after sale turned into a shootout in Brooklyn

A 26-year-old NYPD officer was shot in the head while accompanying his brother to buy a car off Facebook Marketplace.

The father of two, who has not been publicly identified, was left in critical condition after the shootout occurred in Brooklyn on Saturday around 7pm.

Officials claimed the social media car advertisement was planned to stage a robbery. When the officer and his brother arrived at the scene, the suspect immediately pulled out his firearm - which the officer followed.

Young off-duty cop is shot in the head while accompanying his brother to buy a car | Daily Mail Online

Crime is a massive problem in our civilization. It is because we don't strike fear into individuals for their actions. Ancient Rome, Macedon, Medieval Europe, Ottomans, Ming China, etc. All the great powers in history had dreadful punishments but it was to enforce fear and respect from society to keep people in line. We don't have that and our country has run amok. There is a reason they stoned people in the Bible or hanged people in the 1800s. We take people like Jeffrey Dahmer and put them in prisons that seem like paradise compared to prisons of the past and make them into celebrities. Hollywood isn't any better with movies that glorify crime and criminals (Fast and Furious, Oceans 11, Scarface, Godfather, etc.). Add in the hot women chasing the "bad boys" and you got a systematic culture national that supports and encourages crime. This isn't a Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles issue; it isn't an issue of a specific set of people or race; this is a NATIONAL ISSUE.

No Responsibility so people think they can get away with anything in our country.

We need stricter penalties and to re-enforce the death penalty.

We need a culture that embraces respect for society and authority as well as care for others.

Until we start making strides in the right direction, these issues are going to continue.

Our crime rates are lower than every civilization you named

You've obviously never been incarcerated. The issue isn't that they are "soft", it's that they do nothing to prepare those that get out, (the vast majority by the way), to be productive and good citizens once freed. In fact they do a lot to ensure it's very difficult for them.

Much of your thought process comes off as cold and heartless. Void of humanity and empathy....... This thinking breeds the conditions you speak out against.

Bingo! Someone gets jammed up and does a few years in the can and then they are tossed out, virtually penniless. Good luck finding a good job with that felony on your record! Easiest thing to do for many is to return to a life of crime. It's what they know, it's what they are good at, and there is no background check.

Legalize most, if not all drugs, prostitution, and gambling. You cannot regulate morality, that is an impossible feat.

Bingo! Someone gets jammed up and does a few years in the can and then they are tossed out, virtually penniless. Good luck finding a good job with that felony on your record! Easiest thing to do for many is to return to a life of crime. It's what they know, it's what they are good at, and there is no background check.

Legalize most, if not all drugs, prostitution, and gambling. You cannot regulate morality, that is an impossible feat.
If you have no family or other resources you're screwed. As you stated finding a job is difficult, good paying jobs anyway. Your best bet is in the construction/excavation trades. You have to put enough time in so that background check stops flagging you, usually about 7 years.

The issue that's less well known is how difficult it is for a felon to find housing on their own. It's even more difficult than finding work.

I've been through this all, I'm not proud of my past but will speak out on it. I've put that way behind me but it sure as hell wasn't easy.

Last edited:
If you have no family or other resources you're screwed. As you stated finding a job is difficult, good paying jobs anyway. Your best bet is in the construction/excavation trades. You have to put enough time in so that background check stops flagging you, usually about 7 years.

The dude that's less well known is how difficult it is for a felon to find housing on their own. It's even more difficult than finding work.

I've been through this all, I'm not proud of my past but will speak out on it. I've put that way behind me but it sure as hell wasn't easy.

Agree with you 100 percent. Glad you are doing well now my friend.

Morality can be regulated and the means to easily do so are available now more than any other time in history. The last thing our society needs today is easier access to vices.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Morality can be regulated and the means to easily do so are available now more than any other time in history. The last thing our society needs today is easier access to vices.

Morality cannot be regulated it can only be punished.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Except the research shows the benefits outweigh the negatives. Drug use among adults typically stays the same or goes down slightly and use among the young drops. Spain is a good reference you should look into.

Reactions: EasternVol
Except the research shows the benefits outweigh the negatives. Drug use among adults typically stays the same or goes down slightly and use among the young drops. Spain is a good reference you should look into.

Benefits of what? Research also showed the benefits of getting the Covid vaccine and we know how that turned out.

VN Store

Back