Crime and the United States

volbound1700

Crime is a massive problem in our civilization. It is because we don't strike fear into individuals for their actions. Ancient Rome, Macedon, Medieval Europe, Ottomans, Ming China, etc. All the great powers in history had dreadful punishments but it was to enforce fear and respect from society to keep people in line. We don't have that and our country has run amok. There is a reason they stoned people in the Bible or hanged people in the 1800s. We take people like Jeffrey Dahmer and put them in prisons that seem like paradise compared to prisons of the past and make them into celebrities. Hollywood isn't any better with movies that glorify crime and criminals (Fast and Furious, Oceans 11, Scarface, Godfather, etc.). Add in the hot women chasing the "bad boys" and you got a systematic culture national that supports and encourages crime. This isn't a Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles issue; it isn't an issue of a specific set of people or race; this is a NATIONAL ISSUE.

No Responsibility so people think they can get away with anything in our country.

We need stricter penalties and to re-enforce the death penalty.

We need a culture that embraces respect for society and authority as well as care for others.

Until we start making strides in the right direction, these issues are going to continue.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Crime is a massive problem in our civilization. It is because we don't strike fear into individuals for their actions. Ancient Rome, Macedon, Medieval Europe, Ottomans, Ming China, etc. All the great powers in history had dreadful punishments but it was to enforce fear and respect from society to keep people in line. We don't have that and our country has run amok. There is a reason they stoned people in the Bible or hanged people in the 1800s. We take people like Jeffrey Dahmer and put them in prisons that seem like paradise compared to prisons of the past and make them into celebrities. Hollywood isn't any better with movies that glorify crime and criminals (Fast and Furious, Oceans 11, Scarface, Godfather, etc.). Add in the hot women chasing the "bad boys" and you got a systematic culture national that supports and encourages crime. This isn't a Memphis, Atlanta, Los Angeles issue; it isn't an issue of a specific set of people or race; this is a NATIONAL ISSUE.

No Responsibility so people think they can get away with anything in our country.

We need a culture that embraces respect for society and authority as well as care for others.

Until we start making strides in the right direction, these issues are going to continue.

Enforcing laws and even expecting minimal levels of human decency is racist and saturated in white supremacy (per the left). Laws are in place to protect the assets of white men and ensure women and POC have limited economic mobility.

Am I right? 😉

WTH? Sounds like you want to live under an authoritarian government.

Long prison sentences and the death penalty haven't been a deterrent yet, what makes you think even harsher penalties will help?
Why should I respect "society" when much of our "society" doesn't respect me? Screw authority! Authority corrupts and you should always be suspect of it.
The only right direction is to reemphasize respect for individual liberty and rights, hold them above all else.

WTH? Sounds like you want to live under an authoritarian government.

Long prison sentences and the death penalty haven't been a deterrent yet, what makes you think even harsher penalties will help?
Why should I respect "society" when much of our "society" doesn't respect me? Screw authority! Authority corrupts and you should always be suspect of it.
The only right direction is to reemphasize respect for individual liberty and rights, hold them above all else.
When I was Japan the crime rate was much lower than it was here. And with that came a much lower percentage of the population being in prison. One reason is that Japanese prisons are known for being very very strict. Much more strict than prisons here.

I'm so amazed every time I see someone want a more powerful central govt to control its citizens. It's worked out so well in the past right?

I think it all has to start with somehow fixing the lack of accountability for government officials (Republicans and democrats) and rooting out all corruption. I would hate to give more power to our government then what it currently has now until we somehow get to the point where we can trust our government to make decisions that don't just fluff their pockets with kickbacks.

Reactions: Tnslim1

Crime, especially Violent crime, is trending down and has been over the last several decades.

Of course you realize that reality doesn't support your narrative.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
By wanting government to take on our security you are asking for trouble. Problem is, the government forces this by removing the right of self protection. All the rules that must apply before you can defend oneself. You can't defend property, only your personal well being.

There are major reforms needed in the CJS. One I propose, having the convicted person forced to provide money to the victim instead of/in addition to incarceration.

I'm so amazed every time I see someone want a more powerful central govt to control its citizens. It's worked out so well in the past right?

Did I say that?

I say just have stricter penalties would solve the problem. Not more policing. I think the opposite. Our police departments should be scaled back but our punishments made stricter to scare people into committing crimes.

If, for example, we stoned teachers that sleep with underage students, do you not think the next teacher would think twice before doing it again?

Did I say that?

I say just have stricter penalties would solve the problem. Not more policing. I think the opposite. Our police departments should be scaled back but our punishments made stricter to scare people into committing crimes.

If, for example, we stoned teachers that sleep with underage students, do you not think the next teacher would think twice before doing it again?

Stricter penalties haven't worked yet, just look at our history.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol
Did I say that?

Yes you did say that. Your examples were govt or groups in power exacting strict corporal punishment on its citizens. It was the premise of this thread. You want govt to exert even more power to punish those it deems unworthy.

Thought experiment - what happens when the leaders change and you're now the criminal or untoward element? Still good with stoning?

Reactions: hog88
Yes you did say that. Your examples were govt or groups in power exacting strict corporal punishment on its citizens. It was the premise of this thread. You want govt to exert even more power to punish those it deems unworthy.

Thought experiment - what happens when the leaders change and you're now the criminal or untoward element? Still good with stoning?

Having stricter penalties for convicted people does not mean more government. In fact, we had stricter penalties in the 1780s... you know the decade when our Founders and Framers of the Constitution were alive.

Our experiments are failing. Seems like we need to go back and review past systems to understand. Some of the civilizations/cultures that I cite to are considered among the great Empires to exist and lasted Centuries.

VN Store

Back