The Grill and BBQ thread

I've got a butt going and wrapped in paper but it's poking along. Any harm pushing the Egg up to maybe 300 since it's wrapped? I just want it done in time for dinner.

I've got a butt going and wrapped in paper but it's poking along. Any harm pushing the Egg up to maybe 300 since it's wrapped? I just want it done in time for dinner.
They'll only take smoke until they get too warm. As long as you don't get them too hot for too long; they'll be be fine. 300 after it hits the stall point is fine in my opinion.

Nope. But I've got a tongue in the freezer if you want it.
I gifted ours to my Mexican nurse. Her family was very grateful. I'll happily take it if you are local.

I do enjoy tacos de lingua, but I don't know if I could cook it. My wife is giving liver her first go this week.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Crazy question: anyone ever done a beef heart? We are trying to use all of our cow.
I had them in Lima. They are great. They cut them into pieces and marinate and baste them in aji panca (a sauce ["salsa"] of chile paste, garlic, cumin, oil, etc.), and cook them on skewers on a grill. You could use any sauce, but I would try an aji panca once. They are not tough unless overcooked. Search anticuchos. I've never made them.

Edit: I found (the first 2 1/2 minutes of) this to give an idea:

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna

Next time you find butts on sale, grab an extra one and do a "turbo butt." Brine it the night before. Set the temp at 350 and let it roll. It blasts right through the stall. They are surprising moist & tender. I prefer a low & slow but when you're short on time it's not a bad way to go.

I'm not a fan of blue cheese, but I like boars head buffalo chicken sausage.

I'm not a bleu cheese person either, although I will use the dressing on certain types of salads, or a decetn bleau between burger patties. HOWEVER, there is a French, Fourme d'Ambert, that is hard to find cause it doesn't have a long shelf life. Raw maybe and not pasteurized fro open markets. But, Arrington Vineyards somehow used to have it on their private wine tasting sessions. That particular bleu cheese is one of the best things called cheese I've ever had.

Came out perfect. It ran around 280-300 for the last 3 hours and literally hit 202 as my parents pulled in. 30 minutes later, pulled like butter.

I don't really check temp on a Butt anymore. I set the vents on the barrel at a particular opening, drop in the butt for 6.5 hours for a 4-5.5 pounder and walk away. Come back about half way thru and wrap it. The temp on the barrel is so consistent, I just time everything. Especially since the thermo is broke. But, that smoker really only does ribs, druck chickens, and butts. We like the other smoker for salmon and brisket and sometimes ribs. Plus, my son also likes smoking on the old Weber Kettle too. That more of a long grill than a smoke though.

I gifted ours to my Mexican nurse. Her family was very grateful. I'll happily take it if you are local.

I do enjoy tacos de lingua, but I don't know if I could cook it. My wife is giving liver her first go this week.

Dude...do not let your wife do beef liver for her first liver. Hope it's not too late. My mom did beef and pork liver to us when we were kids. Ain't touched it since. With all the things I will eat, I just can't. Now chicken livers will do down the hatch like a good fried oyster for me. Brown gravy or hot sauce. Beef liver takes an Andrew Zimmern palate.

But, if you must. marinate that sucker in buttermilk, coke, whatever, for a few days first. Anything people use to curb the gameness taste of willd meats, I'd use to brine the liver.

Yet, I will do a nice pate on baguettes occasionally. Also, not a beef liver though.

VN Store

Back