What are we doing with BJ Edwards?

That is not true. You can play up to 30% of your team’s games and still redshirt. This will usually equate to roughly 10 games, give or take, depending on how well you do in conference/NCAA tournaments.

That isn't true for basketball. There's been people making noise and requesting that change but as of now it hasn't in basketball. In football you can play in 4/12 games and redshirt.

It was being reported a year or so ago that the redshirt rule was going to change in basketball to mirror football. But I can’t find that it was officially adopted.

At this time, I believe you can’t redshirt if you play in one game, unless you get a medical redshirt.

It was being reported a year or so ago that the redshirt rule was going to change in basketball to mirror football. But I can’t find that it was officially adopted.

At this time, I believe you can’t redshirt if you play in one game, unless you can get a medical redshirt.
Correct, and you can’t medical redshirt if you play in 2nd half of season at all.

That isn't true for basketball. There's been people making noise and requesting that change but as of now it hasn't in basketball. In football you can play in 4/12 games and redshirt.
Yes you can. You can let them play the 9 or 10 games and then list them on the injury report with some bogus knee issue and don’t play them play the rest of the season. There are loopholes to everything. I don’t think they will RS Edwards but I’m not naive enough to think these schools are abiding by the rule and working around it any way they can. If they were setting up deals with shoe companies then they sure as heck are bending redshirt rules.

Yes you can. You can let them play the 9 or 10 games and then list them on the injury report with some bogus knee issue and don’t play them play the rest of the season. There are loopholes to everything. I don’t think they will RS Edwards but I’m not naive enough to think these schools are abiding by the rule and working around it any way they can. If they were setting up deals with shoe companies then they sure as heck are bending redshirt rules.

"To gain a medical redshirt for a specific season, the athlete’s illness or injury must occur before the first game of the second half of the team’s schedule."

We just played game 20 of 31. Edwards played tonight. No redshirt, medical or otherwise.

He always struck me as more of a combo or shooting guard.
If he wants on the floor it’s a smart move, you know Zeigler has at least 2 more years here and then if Dilione has come in and already showing he can play PG then if you wanna be a Vol it sounds like 2 guard would be the move.

Wrong

"To gain a medical redshirt for a specific season, the athlete’s illness or injury must occur before the first game of the second half of the team’s schedule."

We just played game 20 of 31. Edwards played tonight. No redshirt, medical or otherwise.
Yes this specific instance he cannot red shift since we are into the 2nd half of the season. The original post I was responding to said his red shirt was burning the first game he stepped onto the floor which is 100% false.

If he wants on the floor it’s a smart move, you know Zeigler has at least 2 more years here and then if Dilione has come in and already showing he can play PG then if you wanna be a Vol it sounds like 2 guard would be the move.

You finally coming around on that idea?

Reactions: cardvolfan
Yes this specific instance he cannot red shift since we are into the 2nd half of the season. The original post I was responding to said his red shirt was burning the first game he stepped onto the floor which is 100% false.

Barring an injury, the redshirt is burned when you step on the floor in a game.

There's been no indication of an injury that I've heard of.

Barring an injury, the redshirt is burned when you step on the floor in a game.

There's been no indication of an injury that I've heard of.
You can make up injuries. Hell he could say he has a mental illness he is being treated for. Anything can be considered medical in today’s world. I never said they were going to RS Edwards in the first place. It’s better to let him get the experience.

You can make up injuries. Hell he could say he has a mental illness he is being treated for. Anything can be considered medical in today’s world. I never said they were going to RS Edwards in the first place. It’s better to let him get the experience.

I don’t think it’s quite as easy as you suggest. Nevertheless, I also don’t believe Barnes does that. When he plays early in the season, the expectation is that he’s not redshirting. No staff would ever guarantee it.

It specifically has to be an injury directly related to basketball.

You finally coming around on that idea?
I never shot it down, and in fairness that discussion was prior to early enrollment…part of what I said in our discussion was that Edwards being here and a head start would help, that’s not as much of a head start now.

Ask Ben Simmons if his mental health issues are related to basketball. You can spin stuff to make it work.

You have an example of a guy playing early in the year and then getting a redshirt for mental illness or no real injury? Just because Simmons says that doesn’t equate to enough proof to get a redshirt.

You have an example of a guy playing early in the year and then getting a redshirt for mental illness or no real injury? Just because Simmons says that doesn’t equate to enough proof to get a redshirt.
Let the NCAA try to deny a kid a red shirt because of mental health and see what happens. Bet they wouldn’t want that publicity.

VN Store

Back