All things STOCKS

The Fed Notes are middle of the road I think...not good, but nothing shocking bad either.

Federal Reserve officials expect multiple interest-rate increases this year and unanimously believe rates won’t fall at any point in 2023.

Minutes released Wednesday from the Fed’s Dec. 13-14 meeting showed the central bank’s policymaking arm recognizes that inflation has begun to cool somewhat. But its participants still view price growth as “unacceptably high” and emphasized it will take substantially more evidence for them to be convinced inflation is on a “sustained downward path.”

“Participants continued to anticipate that ongoing increases in the target range for the federal funds rate would be appropriate to achieve the Committee’s objectives,” the minutes say. “No participants anticipated that it would be appropriate to begin reducing the federal funds rate target in 2023.” (edited)

For much of the past year, the Federal Reserve’s singular focus was on raising interest rates to combat inflation, and doing so quickly. Now, with tighter monetary policy weighing on the economy and inflation beginning to slow, the central bank is facing a more delicate task: determining whether and when to pause its rate-hike path, and for how long.

Reactions: VolAllen
Gave them some back on that 389 call, but took it right back from them on a quick 384 0DTE. I was optimistic we’d get a nice rally to start the year and trap peoples hearts ha

Bonds were up A LOT considering the not-too-good fed comments. I don't get it, but I'll take it. The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Wall Street can’t let the big wave of retirees get into new, safe, income producing assets. It’s a rigged system. Those lucky enough to buy debt recently ought to take those profits and wait for the market prices to retreat.

Pretty good points. He could have also mentioned the China factor. Most of TSLA's profit right now is coming from there.

I suspect the stock is headed lower, but when?

I closed out this week’s TSLA short put after watching the video.

I’m not going to mess with TSLA unless it falls another 20% or so. Except I own ARKK shares. And Cathie is doubling down.

thinkorswim:

Cathie Wood-led ARK Investment Managementbought 21,050 shares of Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) on Wednesday at an estimated valuation of over $2.39 million. This is the 6th consecutive day ARK has bought Tesla shares. Shares of Tesla closed 5.12% higher on Wednesday.

The fund started its latest buying spree post-Christmas and has loaded up over 484,000 Tesla shares in the last six trading sessions. On Tuesday, Wood bought Tesla shares worth $19 million on a day when the stock closed 12.24% lower, dragged by concerns over weakening demand and logistical problems. Tuesday's decline also erased nearly $50 billion in market value for the Elon Musk-led company.

Wednesday’s purchases were done via the flagship ARK Innovation ETF (NYSE:ARKK) and the ARK Autonomous Tech. & Robotics ETF (NYSE:ARKQ). Since mid-December, funds managed by ARK have bought over 673,000 shares of the EV maker.

Interestingly, a trademark filing last week reportedly shows Tesla could continue to expand its influence in the transportation industry. The filing extends Tesla's electric motor trademark to "not for land vehicles." This category expands Tesla's trademark to motors for airplanes, boats, and electric toys. The application was filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office.

Apple at $50? You're kidding. What has happened? Are people not buying the new I-phones?
Are we in better or worse shape than we were in say, 2019? Apple traded between $35-50 in 2019. Apple is no more popular today than they were in 2019. Even if inflation is 20% since 2019, Apple would still only be around $60. You go back to 2016-2017, and Apple was $20-25. Why? I had iPhones and MacBooks and iPads back then. Honestly back then I was even more inclined to buy the newest one, now not so much. Car prices are costing people more per month, rent is costing more per month, people are spending more on food, I believe they’ll be less inclined to upgrade “just because”.

KO also seeming like an easy short. Triple top at 64, and gaps to fill down in the low 50’s. Not exactly sure what the catalyst would be to make it lose 20%, but possibly high interest savings outweigh the Coke dividend and people sell?

Are we in better or worse shape than we were in say, 2019? Apple traded between $35-50 in 2019. Apple is no more popular today than they were in 2019. Even if inflation is 20% since 2019, Apple would still only be around $60. You go back to 2016-2017, and Apple was $20-25. Why? I had iPhones and MacBooks and iPads back then. Honestly back then I was even more inclined to buy the newest one, now not so much. Car prices are costing people more per month, rent is costing more per month, people are spending more on food, I believe they’ll be less inclined to upgrade “just because”.

Trying to remember....did Apple have a stock split sometime around 2020ish?

I do follow your logic. In a recession, one would think that upgrading your phone would be low on priority list.

Trying to remember....did Apple have a stock split sometime around 2020ish?

I do follow your logic. In a recession, one would think that upgrading your phone would be low on priority list.
Yeah they did a split. I want to say it opened at like $130 or something if I remember correctly

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Are we in better or worse shape than we were in say, 2019? Apple traded between $35-50 in 2019. Apple is no more popular today than they were in 2019. Even if inflation is 20% since 2019, Apple would still only be around $60..
I suspect it's heading lower.

But the bullish pushback would be that there's lots of people "trapped" in its product/subscription ecosystem and it has a ton of cash.

VN Store

Back