'24 MS RB Daniel Hill

This guy and Jordan Marshall at the top of the RB board per AP.
Why do we keep recruiting power backs in a blocking scheme that doesn’t open big holes and creates a light box for the defense? It seems like a shifty/speedy all purpose back would make more sense wanting to have 1 workhorse is understandable, but this guy is listed as an LB

Reactions: bpalmer28
Why do we keep recruiting power backs in a blocking scheme that doesn’t open big holes and creates a light box for the defense? It seems like a shifty/speedy all purpose back would make more sense wanting to have 1 workhorse is understandable, but this guy is listed as an LB
Have you watched his highlights? His entire Jr. highlight video is on offense and this kid is versatile. He's the same size as Cam Seldon and basically does everything on offense that Seldon does. He's just not as fast. But.... he lines up in the backfield, in the slot, and out wide. He probably had more plays split out as a receiver than he did in the backfield. Oh, and Arion Carter was listed as a RB until nearly halfway through his senior year. So even though this kid is 220+, I wouldn't just lump him into the category of "power back".

Downhill runners in an offense that spaces the defense out has worked out well for Heupel here so far. We were the #18 team in the nation in rushing yards this season

Downhill runners in an offense that spaces the defense out has worked out well for Heupel here so far. We were the #18 team in the nation in rushing yards this season
Small isn’t really a downhill runner though and Wright is more of a speed back. Seems like we already have the 1 cut power back role filled with Keith. Another all purpose back like Seldon seems like more of a need

Have you watched his highlights? His entire Jr. highlight video is on offense and this kid is versatile. He's the same size as Cam Seldon and basically does everything on offense that Seldon does. He's just not as fast. But.... he lines up in the backfield, in the slot, and out wide. He probably had more plays split out as a receiver than he did in the backfield. Oh, and Arion Carter was listed as a RB until nearly halfway through his senior year. So even though this kid is 220+, I wouldn't just lump him into the category of "power back".
He looks like he would make a better H-Back than RB in my opinion. With how the offense goes uptempo and doesn’t like to sub in and out he just doesn’t seem like a RB that would play for an entire series in this offense like Gibson or even Keith, Seldon, or Wright. Now landing this guy along with Paylor would be interesting, but I personally don’t like this guy being the only RB taken next year

He looks like he would make a better H-Back than RB in my opinion. With how the offense goes uptempo and doesn’t like to sub in and out he just doesn’t seem like a RB that would play for an entire series in this offense like Gibson or even Keith, Seldon, or Wright. Now landing this guy along with Paylor would be interesting, but I personally don’t like this guy being the only RB taken next year
I usually reserve my overall opinion until senior highlights come out. I just know that he already shows rare versatility. Especially rare for someone 6'1" 220 to be able to consistently highpoint and win on 50/50 balls.

I usually reserve my overall opinion until senior highlights come out. I just know that he already shows rare versatility. Especially rare for someone 6'1" 220 to be able to consistently highpoint and win on 50/50 balls.
The speed just doesn’t seem to be there. Which is why I think he’d be better utilized like Fant or like how New England used Aaron Hernandez

Reactions: LittleVol
The speed just doesn’t seem to be there. Which is why I think he’d be better utilized like Fant or like how New England used Aaron Hernandez
He's only 6'1" and it's only his junior year. Khalifa Keith got significantly faster from junior to senior year. No one with major offers as a RB is coming here to be an H-back/TE. Also, top end speed is not the most important factor to be successful as a RB.

Light boxes work well for power backs. Would you rather tackle Chubb or Henry with more or less people in the box?

This offense has its origins in the run n shoot. If you watch old highlights of SMU, Baylor, or any of the run n shoot teams you’ll find a ton of 220+ running backs.

The reason is they’re looking for a physical inside zone running back (like Mike Alstott was when he played RB) whose main job is to keep the defense honest by controlling B gap to B gap and allowing the passing game to control the perimeter.

The tempo (not original to run n shoot) makes it even harder to tackle a bigger back. Not only are we forcing you to play nickel all game, but we are gassing your front 7. Especially with how long we have our QBs hold the football on some plays.

So I love the strategy. Thin out the box, wear out the front seven, and force them to tackle a LB at RB

Ummm why couldn’t he play a full series?

Here’s a few notable power backs in this offense

Terrance Gannaway (Baylor) 239lbs 1500+ season
Zach Line (SMU) 233LBs, 1400+, and 2 1200+ seasons

Zach’s brother also went to SMU (Prescott 244lbs) and lead the team in rushing but was there during the coaching transition and never hit 1000

Here’s a few notable power backs in this offense

Terrance Gannaway (Baylor) 239lbs 1500+ season
Zach Line (SMU) 233LBs, 1400+, and 2 1200+ seasons

Zach’s brother also went to SMU (Prescott 244lbs) and lead the team in rushing but was there during the coaching transition and never hit 1000

Exactly. People need to get over the idea that this offense requires a particular type of RB. Hell, most offenses now can utilize any type of RB. It’s 2022, not 1992.

Ummm why couldn’t he play a full series?
I’m not saying he couldn’t play an entire drive. Just that having a more versatile back with some speed and lateral quickness rather than a bruiser would be more ideal for an offense that doesn’t like subbing guys in and out

I’m not saying he couldn’t play an entire drive. Just that having a more versatile back with some speed and lateral quickness rather than a bruiser would be more ideal for an offense that doesn’t like subbing guys in and out

Why would we need to sub him out? What do we ask out backs to do that he can’t?

We want guys who can pass block and run between the tackles, right?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Exactly. People need to get over the idea that this offense requires a particular type of RB. Hell, most offenses now can utilize any type of RB. It’s 2022, not 1992.
That last line is kind of what I’m getting at. The game is going more towards all purpose backs that can do a bunch of different things or teams are going with a RB by committee approach. The days of 6’1 220 power backs are a thing of the past. Don’t get me wrong, we definitely need a power back, but I just don’t see this guy as an every down RB and with how we like to keep the same RB in the entire drive he will be asked to be that

VN Store

Back