'24 MS RB Daniel Hill

That last line is kind of what I’m getting at. The game is going more towards all purpose backs that can do a bunch of different things or teams are going with a RB by committee approach. The days of 6’1 220 power backs are a thing of the past. Don’t get me wrong, we definitely need a power back, but I just don’t see this guy as an every down RB and with how we like to keep the same RB in the entire drive he will be asked to be that

Is the question really about what “the game” is moving towards or is it about our offense? It seems being different has been very good for us.

What do you fear he can’t do that we need?

Why would we need to sub him out? What do we ask out backs to do that he can’t?

We want guys who can pass block and run between the tackles, right?
He can, but he’s not a homerun threat with the ball in his hands. Maybe they don’t actually need that in a RB with the playmakers we have at WR, but having a RB that is a threat to take it to the house on any given play just puts that much more strain on the defense

Reactions: LittleVol
Here’s a few notable power backs in this offense

Terrance Gannaway (Baylor) 239lbs 1500+ season
Zach Line (SMU) 233LBs, 1400+, and 2 1200+ seasons

Zach’s brother also went to SMU (Prescott 244lbs) and lead the team in rushing but was there during the coaching transition and never hit 1000
They did that against Big 12 and AAC defenses also

They did that against Big 12 and AAC defenses also

That’s a dumb comment. They did it against defenses in their division. Your comment is equal to saying “Heupel’s offense only works at UCF”.

Anything that works against equal competition will work against equal competition at higher levels

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
He can, but he’s not a homerun threat with the ball in his hands. Maybe they don’t actually need that in a RB with the playmakers we have at WR, but having a RB that is a threat to take it to the house on any given play just puts that much more strain on the defense

Why’s he not a home run threat? Do you think he runs a 4.9?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That’s a dumb comment. They did it against defenses in their division. Your comment is equal to saying “Heupel’s offense only works at UCF”.

Anything that works against equal competition will work against equal competition at higher levels
Heupel’s offense was proven in the SEC prior to him going to UCF. So that comparison is irrelevant. The simple fact is SEC DL and LBs are significantly better across the board than the Big 12 and AAC. They’re not only bigger and faster, but they along with DBs usually tackle better in the open field. You can watch bowl matchups between the two conferences just over the past 4-5 years and see that those offenses don’t put up the same numbers against SEC teams. That’s not saying they wouldn’t have found success in the SEC, but there’s a reason why the SEC usually dominates in those cross conference matchups when the teams are comparable and are playing their full rosters

Reactions: LittleVol
How else should someone gauge someone’s in game speed other than watching them play? I guess I’ll keep carrying on though

It’s the entire practice as a whole that’s laughable. Not as much the metric used. But the idea that random people on the internet are qualified to assess a players speed based on highlight clips of them against other random people whose speed you do not know. It’s laughable and should be openly mocked. It happens here a lot (The Couch Scout), but is still ridiculous.

Did you apply a scientific formula like observing the yards gained per second when in the open field and comparing to other RBs over the years?

Or did you just say “doesn’t feel fast” and then make your judgement from there? It’s an absurd and hilarious standard that should be openly mocked

Reactions: therickbol
It’s the entire practice as a whole that’s laughable. Not as much the metric used. But the idea that random people on the internet are qualified to assess a players speed based on highlight clips of them against other random people whose speed you do not know. It’s laughable and should be openly mocked. It happens here a lot (The Couch Scout), but is still ridiculous.

Did you apply a scientific formula like observing the yards gained per second when in the open field and comparing to other RBs over the years?

Or did you just say “doesn’t feel fast” and then make your judgement from there? It’s an absurd and hilarious standard that should be openly mocked
No, it shouldn’t. Get a life

You could be @swampfoxfan and think Adarius Redmond is better than Leacock because you’ve seen them In person. I know we all know that’s not true.

Or you could pretend one is better than another based on highlight films. Both are laughable approaches. I’ll take the consensus opinion of experts and of our staff over either

Reactions: Clevegasvol
Maybe I’m trippin, but I watched hill’s hudl and the whole thing was sped up. Hard to take anything from it.

Here's my biggest issue with the recruiting services. What qualifies any of these guys as industry experts? Do you remember any of these guys being a top rated recruit? How about having a decent college career? Ever a successful coach at any level? Even a S&C coach? If someone knows something that I don't, then please fill me in. If a few of us in here got together and set up a website, and were able to earn a living wage doing nothing but evaluating high school football... how long before we're regarded as industry experts? I just think these are fair questions to ask yourself.

Last edited:
Here's my biggest issue with the recruiting services. What qualifies any of these guys as industry experts? Do you remember any of these guys being a top rated recruit? How about having a decent college career? Ever a successful coach at any level? Even a S&C coach? If someone knows something that I don't, then please fill me in. If a few of us in here got together and set up a website, and were able to earn a living wage doing nothing but evaluating high school football... how long before we're regarded as industry experts? I just think these are fair questions to ask yourself.

Those are the strangest criteria I’ve ever heard of for being a successful scout. How would being a highly rated recruit or even the best strength and conditioning coach help you evaluate prospects?

Last edited:
Those are the strangest criteria I’ve ever heard of for being a successful scout. How would being a highly rated recruit or even the best strength and conditioning coach help you evaluate prospects?
The point has more to do with experience that relates to high caliber football recruits. Someone who has been a successful S&C coach for football players should be obvious. They would've dedicated their career to spotting strengths and weaknesses, understanding various body types, witnessed growth and progression, and have been an overseer of all the aspects and how they relate to success on the field. Having been a highly rated recruit doesn't make you an expert on recruiting. It would simply give more insight and understanding to process from the viewpoint of a recruit. I would still trust those opinions more than someone that played football in middle school then worked 3 years for Geek Squad. I also don't consider most of these guys to be "scouts".

The point has more to do with experience that relates to high caliber football recruits. Someone who has been a successful S&C coach for football players should be obvious. They would've dedicated their career to spotting strengths and weaknesses, understanding various body types, witnessed growth and progression, and have been an overseer of all the aspects and how they relate to success on the field. Having been a highly rated recruit doesn't make you an expert on recruiting. It would simply give more insight and understanding to process from the viewpoint of a recruit. I would still trust those opinions more than someone that played football in middle school then worked 3 years for Geek Squad. I also don't consider most of these guys to be "scouts".

I'd take the Geek Squad who is going to take a scientific approach to the process over a former 5* or a S&C coach. But the recruiting sites work. They do what they do very well. And the idea that they just rank guys based on offers is easily disproven by the fact that you can find numerous 3*s sign with Oh St, Georgia, Bama, etc. Despite elite offer lists. They evaluate players and then rank players based on those evaluations.

Reactions: 19_GBO_19
I'd take the Geek Squad who is going to take a scientific approach to the process over a former 5* or a S&C coach. But the recruiting sites work. They do what they do very well. And the idea that they just rank guys based on offers is easily disproven by the fact that you can find numerous 3*s sign with Oh St, Georgia, Bama, etc. Despite elite offer lists. They evaluate players and then rank players based on those evaluations.
1) I wasn't the one that said that they based ratings on offers.
2) If you have some basic football knowledge, it's not hard to identify who the best football players are if you dedicate your time and efforts to doing just that.
My issue is validating their opinions over that of those in the coaching profession.

VN Store

Back