Tough loss at Maples!

Improving, close, blah blah chatter means squat to me because it gives me an idea when/if we might start to win again. Alot of ya'll don't want to follow the process and that's fine, you do you. But ya'll get so frustrated that everyone doesn't want to approach it the same way you do. You act like discussing the process as currently playing out is some affront to the legacy or accepting mediocrity or some such. It's not.

You're welcome to wait it out at the bandwagon bus stop but when I commit to a basketball season, I'm in for the process. No matter how painful. Don't be mad at me about it.

Dayum, that was an outstanding post. And... me, too!

Hi Lady Vol fans, I'm a Stanford WBB fan who comes in peace. I wanted to complement your team on an outstanding game on Sunday, playing with heart and poise and giving us all we could handle through three quarters. After the game Tara stayed to talk to our core fans, and she was highly complementary of Tennessee, and reminded us that we have a very long way to go before we can hope to even up the series. Tara called our series one of the best rivalries in WBB, after more than three decades, and we certainly would like to see it continue. Pretty sure you will get us at your place next year,

As Tara put it, you have two WNBA players on your team surrounded by some excellent shooters, and your record does not begin to reflect your level of talent. She also said that she will be rooting for you to win every other game you play--unless we should meet again in the tournament, of course!

I thought I would comment on a couple of things that your team did well. I've noticed that several of you wondered why Jump was not defended better. In fact you forced Jump outside her normal comfort zone. Much of her scoring was on back door cuts and floaters in the lane. This is very rare for her--there are games where every shot she takes is beyond the arc--so your defense played her close enough to force her off the three point line. I think your scout on her was probably well executed, except she surprised all of us with a versatility we have not seen very much before.

Before the game one of our assistant coaches met with core fans for a "chalk talk" and discussed the strategy. One of our keys to success was to try to get scoring in transition, since the coaches knew that your defense in the half court would create problems for us. As it turns out, your coaching staff knew the same thing, and your defense did an excellent job of limiting our transition points. Somewhere I heard or read that it was a major point of emphasis in practice by Tennessee to stop our transition points and make us struggle in the half court with your close defense. As a result, we had only 8 fast break points compared with 18 for you. Furthermore, in those minutes when Brink was out, we really did struggle in the half court. Your plan mostly worked.

It was obvious to most of us at Maples that your team has elite talent and that you will have a successful season. For the first 3 quarters of the game you played us better than South Carolina did. I know I would not like Stanford to have to face you in the NCAAs again this year. I would not be surprised at all if your team went on some winning streaks this year and worked itself back into contention.

Thank you. I hope and pray the annual Stanford-Tennessee series never ends. It may be the only longtime rivalry built completely on mutual respect, and without either side having ever stooped to any silly antics for attention.

I don’t want them to be 7-6. I’d rather them be 11-2 with the toughest schedule. Rebecca Lobo chirping it out yesterday on live tv isn’t me saying it.
You got any independent thoughts or are you just chirping on VN what Lobo chirped on tv?

You got any independent thoughts or are you just chirping on VN what Lobo chirped on tv?
my thoughts were after IU seeing Jackson after the game interact with Harper as “something to watch” and here we are. Before her walkoff game in Atlantis. The Lobo reference was in regards to those who believe all negative light is only shined here on VN and not live TV, Twitter, comments in news articles after losses on social media.

It was a nice complement to a nice loss. I don’t share the same warm and fuzzy for losing again by just by 7. I also stated about the same time that post that Stanford isn’t worried about beating Tennessee by 7, just that the beat Tennessee. That is all they care about.

Really? How do you know? They may have been expecting a blowout at home.

I's say that some were sweating a bit when they were down by eight right before tge third quarter ended.

I's say that some were sweating a bit when they were down by eight right before tge third quarter ended.
Believe that fell into a "nice complement to a nice loss"

Up 8 in 3rd and 5 at the start of the 4th. Sure, they probably were a little sweating which quickly changed.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just a tip here. I believe that's the third time you've used "complement" instead of "compliment." You might get away with the former if you stretch the intended meaning a bit, but I think you meant to use the latter.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Just a tip here. I believe that's the third time you've used "complement" instead of "compliment." You might get away with the former if you stretch the intended meaning a bit, but I think you meant to use the latter.
I'll take it as a complement to make it an even 4 since with you're keeping track.

Well, I can't speak for every one at Stanford, but after our Gonzaga win Tara told the fans that the upcoming Tennessee game would be very difficult for us. She was not happy that you had recently lost, and in one of her Tara-isms said something about "poking the bear." There is enormous respect for your program here and we never underestimate you. In any case, we were certainly discouraged when you took an 8 point lead in the 3rd--especially during those long minutes when your defense just seemed to stifle our offense,. I was not sure we could come back from it, but getting Brink back on the floor sparked our offense and our defense, it seems.

I don't want to overstep, but what I said before was not just a polite complement. It takes time to integrate new talent into a team. Stanford does not (and cannot) have much experience with transfers, but my guess is that many teams that do have transfers in key roles will perform better in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st, as they develop team chemistry and embed the coach's system in muscle memory. I'd say your team's future is bright. I will be watching and cheering for you when you take on UConn!

Today I saw our much maligned coach go toe to toe with a hall of fame coach and show exactly what a coach and competitor she is. If her players had hit some of the short shots they missed and the officials hadn’t swallowed their whistles in the fourth quarter, our Lady Vols might have pulled off the upset. One bad quarter and a 6’5” All American for Stanford spelled the difference in the game. This was a step forward for our Ladies as they continue to get better. But for all naysayers, this game showed that we have an excellent coaching staff that had a good game plan. Going into the SEC season the Lady Vols will continue to improve. Go Lady Vols!a
I agree 100% with everything you said, Benionsopinion, however the real proof of your post will be shown in the next 18 games for the LVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Safe to say she didn't check it if she didn't put it in. A little thing probably put off to someone else that reflects back to her regardless.

She can't even remember the number of timeouts she has, how can she be expected to remember jersey numbers?

Amateur hour...

The 24-12 fourth quarter was why we lost to Stanford. I hope Coach Kellie and her staff can analyze that quarter and make the necessary adjustments. Just think, we outscored Stanford by five points in the first 3 quarters.
I wish someone on this board can explain what happened in the fourth quarter.

The 24-12 fourth quarter was why we lost to Stanford. I hope Coach Kellie and her staff can analyze that quarter and make the necessary adjustments. Just think, we outscored Stanford by five points in the first 3 quarters.
I wish someone on this board can explain what happened in the fourth quarter.

you know, Nute,,,that is a very good idea
I still have it on DVR,,,been a minute so I can get a fresh "read" on it
I will watch it just to see if I can see a forseeable and clear event or series thereof
I will @Nute Gunray you when I post it

VN Store

Back