Tough loss at Maples!

Hi Lady Vol fans, I'm a Stanford WBB fan who comes in peace. I wanted to complement your team on an outstanding game on Sunday, playing with heart and poise and giving us all we could handle through three quarters. After the game Tara stayed to talk to our core fans, and she was highly complementary of Tennessee, and reminded us that we have a very long way to go before we can hope to even up the series. Tara called our series one of the best rivalries in WBB, after more than three decades, and we certainly would like to see it continue. Pretty sure you will get us at your place next year,

As Tara put it, you have two WNBA players on your team surrounded by some excellent shooters, and your record does not begin to reflect your level of talent. She also said that she will be rooting for you to win every other game you play--unless we should meet again in the tournament, of course!

I thought I would comment on a couple of things that your team did well. I've noticed that several of you wondered why Jump was not defended better. In fact you forced Jump outside her normal comfort zone. Much of her scoring was on back door cuts and floaters in the lane. This is very rare for her--there are games where every shot she takes is beyond the arc--so your defense played her close enough to force her off the three point line. I think your scout on her was probably well executed, except she surprised all of us with a versatility we have not seen very much before.

Before the game one of our assistant coaches met with core fans for a "chalk talk" and discussed the strategy. One of our keys to success was to try to get scoring in transition, since the coaches knew that your defense in the half court would create problems for us. As it turns out, your coaching staff knew the same thing, and your defense did an excellent job of limiting our transition points. Somewhere I heard or read that it was a major point of emphasis in practice by Tennessee to stop our transition points and make us struggle in the half court with your close defense. As a result, we had only 8 fast break points compared with 18 for you. Furthermore, in those minutes when Brink was out, we really did struggle in the half court. Your plan mostly worked.

It was obvious to most of us at Maples that your team has elite talent and that you will have a successful season. For the first 3 quarters of the game you played us better than South Carolina did. I know I would not like Stanford to have to face you in the NCAAs again this year. I would not be surprised at all if your team went on some winning streaks this year and worked itself back into contention.

Losing is a "negative." All this chatter about "improving," "close," blah blah means absolutely squat if you still can't win games.

Only thing that matters. Stanford fans are not worried they won by 7, they are saying we beat Tennessee again.

Only thing that matters. Stanford fans are not worried they won by 7, they are saying we beat Tennessee again.

No, that is not "the only thing that matters." That is not how it works.

If that were true, we would have just stopped last year at 18-1 and declared ourselves champions.

How you finish is much more important than how you start. Wouldn't you agree?

No, that is not "the only thing that matters." That is not how it works.

If that were true, we would have just stopped last year at 18-1 and declared ourselves champions.

How you finish is much more important than how you start. Wouldn't you agree?
not if you’re on pace for 11-13 losses

not if you’re on pace for 11-13 losses

On pace? I know all our losses are against ranked teams (including 5 current Top 10 with three more to come) plus more ranked opponents, but you seem to be assuming losses to every one of them despite seeing vast improvement since the beginning of the season (and amidst losing a 4-year starter and dealing with other personnel issues). And that's not taking into account the possibility of other teams suffering setbacks due to absences caused by injuries, illnesses, or other issues.

Did you think we were "on pace" to go 18-1 to start last season? Did you foresee injuries to Burrell, Green, Horston, etc.?

Why be so gloomy about the future? Especially when we're actually getting better. If we had won by two points yesterday, would the team have been any different? Would everyone be happier if we had played LSU 's schedule and were undefeated?

Losing is a "negative." All this chatter about "improving," "close," blah blah means absolutely squat if you still can't win games.
Improving, close, blah blah chatter means squat to me because it gives me an idea when/if we might start to win again. Alot of ya'll don't want to follow the process and that's fine, you do you. But ya'll get so frustrated that everyone doesn't want to approach it the same way you do. You act like discussing the process as currently playing out is some affront to the legacy or accepting mediocrity or some such. It's not.

You're welcome to wait it out at the bandwagon bus stop but when I commit to a basketball season, I'm in for the process. No matter how painful. Don't be mad at me about it.

Last edited:
On pace? I know all our losses are against ranked teams (including 5 current Top 10 with three more to come) plus more ranked opponents, but you seem to be assuming losses to every one of them despite seeing vast improvement since the beginning of the season (and amidst losing a 4-year starter and dealing with other personnel issues). And that's not taking into account the possibility of other teams suffering setbacks due to absences caused by injuries, illnesses, or other issues.

Did you think we were "on pace" to go 18-1 to start last season? Did you foresee injuries to Burrell, Green, Horston, etc.?

Why be so gloomy about the future? Especially when we're actually getting better. If we had won by two points yesterday, would the team have been any different? Would everyone be happier if we had played LSU 's schedule and were undefeated?

2 penciled in with UConn
And SC. Puts us at 8, factor in SEC looking at dropping more. 11-5 last year so I’m accounting dropping another 3-5.

I only worry about our schedule

2 penciled in with UConn
And SC. Puts us at 8, factor in SEC looking at dropping more. 11-5 last year so I’m accounting dropping another 3-5.
I only worry about our schedule

Uconn is not a guaranteed lose. stanford is better than them and we almost beat stanford. the sec is down this year so we shouldn’t lose more than 3

Uconn is not a guaranteed lose. stanford is better than them and we almost beat stanford. the sec is down this year so we shouldn’t lose more than 3
Nobody is guaranteed. We haven’t shown we can get the big wins consistently. SEC is down but wouldn’t that include us too?

Hi Lady Vol fans, I'm a Stanford WBB fan who comes in peace. I wanted to complement your team on an outstanding game on Sunday, playing with heart and poise and giving us all we could handle through three quarters. After the game Tara stayed to talk to our core fans, and she was highly complementary of Tennessee, and reminded us that we have a very long way to go before we can hope to even up the series. Tara called our series one of the best rivalries in WBB, after more than three decades, and we certainly would like to see it continue. Pretty sure you will get us at your place next year,

As Tara put it, you have two WNBA players on your team surrounded by some excellent shooters, and your record does not begin to reflect your level of talent. She also said that she will be rooting for you to win every other game you play--unless we should meet again in the tournament, of course!

I thought I would comment on a couple of things that your team did well. I've noticed that several of you wondered why Jump was not defended better. In fact you forced Jump outside her normal comfort zone. Much of her scoring was on back door cuts and floaters in the lane. This is very rare for her--there are games where every shot she takes is beyond the arc--so your defense played her close enough to force her off the three point line. I think your scout on her was probably well executed, except she surprised all of us with a versatility we have not seen very much before.

Before the game one of our assistant coaches met with core fans for a "chalk talk" and discussed the strategy. One of our keys to success was to try to get scoring in transition, since the coaches knew that your defense in the half court would create problems for us. As it turns out, your coaching staff knew the same thing, and your defense did an excellent job of limiting our transition points. Somewhere I heard or read that it was a major point of emphasis in practice by Tennessee to stop our transition points and make us struggle in the half court with your close defense. As a result, we had only 8 fast break points compared with 18 for you. Furthermore, in those minutes when Brink was out, we really did struggle in the half court. Your plan mostly worked.

It was obvious to most of us at Maples that your team has elite talent and that you will have a successful season. For the first 3 quarters of the game you played us better than South Carolina did. I know I would not like Stanford to have to face you in the NCAAs again this year. I would not be surprised at all if your team went on some winning streaks this year and worked itself back into contention.

Nice wright up. Welcome to the Lady Vol page. Would love to see y'all in the final four this season. As always go Lady Vol's.

Nobody is guaranteed. We haven’t shown we can get the big wins consistently. SEC is down but wouldn’t that include us too?
We have consistently finished in the top 4 in the sec under kellie every year. It will be no different this year. We are about on track with where we need to be. We are improving every game. We will be fine come mid January.

Outsider with no bizz in this thread…but…..LV’s looked good at Maples for most of the game and the turn around in TO’s has been amazing. UT is just now starting to gel and flex a little. It’s definately not long before your team is hitting on all cylinders, defense is way better than early season and shows signs of last year now.
I like it when Puckett is on the court and Jackson and Jordy as well. Those three along with Franklin or Striplin down low and probably Powell at PG….Shead playing a bunch also and Tess as well.

How far has the Lady Vols Program fallen, to hear discussions around....close....competitive.....getting better......it is getting bad enuf, Fulmer will be forced to DO something.
This is not necessarily a defense of the coaching staff but many times it is difficult to bring in new players, especially from a new system, and to obtain immediate success. Louisville is have a few adjustment issues with new players. The Lady Vols played well against Stanford with a few exceptions. They are showing positive progress. I believe we need to see more their play in the SEC to see if they have figured out how to play well as a group. We have to find a way to work Horston, Puckett and Jackson into the starting lineup for scoring power.

As Tara put it, you have two WNBA players on your team surrounded by some excellent shooters, and your record does not begin to reflect your level of talent.

Completely agree. The record reflects the level of coaching...

Did you read that post at all? Wow, that post from the Stanford fan must have really galled you and your brethren.
It was a nice complement to a nice loss. I don’t share the same warm and fuzzy for losing again by just by 7. I also stated about the same time that post that Stanford isn’t worried about beating Tennessee by 7, just that the beat Tennessee. That is all they care about.

off to the worst start in 40 years

With the toughest schedule in those 40 years. We could have, and perhaps should have, started with some patsy OOC games so we would be 11-2 right now but that’s not what happened. Saying it’s the worst start in 40 years is eye candy for your negative agenda but it takes a bit of deeper thinking to see why the record isn’t what we hope for.

With the toughest schedule in those 40 years. We could have, and perhaps should have, started with some patsy OOC games so we would be 11-2 right now but that’s not what happened. Saying it’s the worst start in 40 years is eye candy for your negative agenda but it takes a bit of deeper thinking to see why the record isn’t what we hope for.

I don’t want them to be 7-6. I’d rather them be 11-2 with the toughest schedule. Rebecca Lobo chirping it out yesterday on live tv isn’t me saying it.

VN Store

Back