The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

Thoughts on a Browning Hi- Power

Everyone I’ve ever had, shot or been around have been great.

I really liked the Practical.

The new FN’s are very nice stay fairly true to the original. I haven’t even handled the Springfield SA-35 however they seem to have some nice updates and are cheaper.

Girsan MCP35 might be the best of the bunch for the price. I’ve, handled, shot this clone and it is very nice, extremely accurate and reliable.

The quality of the FN would be hard to beat; however I like the Springfield because of the updates even though I don’t “know” it.

If you want to save a bit the Girsan is under priced.

Buying an older Browning isn’t a crapshoot though…….they’re amazing if you find one that hasn’t been shot to death.

Amazing firearms, proven, reliable, accurate, just for the most part not as up to date as modern firearms; however not everything has to be.

30B38AFF-F7EA-4631-9A26-43D57D28101E.jpeg

Around $475, up to maybe $620 with g10 grips, target sights and a rail.

Last edited:
Reactions: BennesseeVols
Everyone I’ve ever had, shot or been around have been great.

I really liked the Practical.

The new FN’s are very nice stay fairly true to the original. I haven’t even handled the Springfield SA-35 however they seem to have some nice updates and are cheaper.

Girsan MCP35 might be the best of the bunch for the price. I’ve, handled, shot this clone and it is very nice, extremely accurate and reliable.

The quality of the FN would be hard to beat; however I like the Springfield because of the updates even though I don’t “know” it.

If you want to save a bit the Girsan is under priced.

Buying an older Browning isn’t a crapshoot though…….they’re amazing if you find one that hasn’t been shot to death.

Amazing firearms, proven, reliable, accurate, just for the most part not as up to date as modern firearms; however not everything has to be.

View attachment 517271

Around $475, up to maybe $620 with g10 grips, target sights and a rail.
Not really. At all

Not really. At all

I have to differ.

The trigger and controls are definitely different. However they aren’t 1911 esk like the SA-35. The sights have been up dated and they have new modern finishes.

I’ve had several Hipowers and I feel the new FN’s stay true the the overall design but with modernization.

I know pictures don’t tell a story but here’s the new stainless and one of my all time favorites the Practical.

Definitely can get a better grip with the new FN, in my opinion, trigger is better, and sights definitely better. Wasn’t saying it was an exact copy……however I certainly think they did a great job staying true to the design.
2CFD2BF6-FA3A-489B-9F9D-99A35A10212E.jpegF6DF551A-3DC2-4BED-8214-A5AE1EFC19D2.jpeg

Picked up an Aero Precision EPC complete upper and lower. 20% off for Black Friday. Had to get a BCG from Primary Arms. With a charging handle, I’m just under $900

Reactions: Nerd-Vol
Not worth the risk for me. I always laugh at the dude open carrying a Glock 43 or Shield. If you’re going to open carry, make it a big iron.

Yea not my thing either. First time I had actually saw someone doing it since it was legalized here.

@Grand Vol

Your suggestions are appreciated. Several years ago I assembled an AR in 300B/O. It's a registered short barreled rifle. I purchased a suppressor too. I've shot it a bunch using Magtech 300B/O subsonic. Very quiet, really fun to shoot, no hearing protection required. Never had an issue, cycled beautifully. I thought I might try hunting with it (at the house). Obviously didn't want to hunt with ball ammo so I went to Academy and picked up a box of Hornaday Subsonic for deer and hogs. Went to shoot a couple of rounds to check zero and it's not cycling very good. Ejects but doesn't load in another. I'm running a standard buffer and spring. I'm guessing a lighter buffer or spring or both? Your thoughts?

TIA

@Grand Vol

Your suggestions are appreciated. Several years ago I assembled an AR in 300B/O. It's a registered short barreled rifle. I purchased a suppressor too. I've shot it a bunch using Magtech 300B/O subsonic. Very quiet, really fun to shoot, no hearing protection required. Never had an issue, cycled beautifully. I thought I might try hunting with it (at the house). Obviously didn't want to hunt with ball ammo so I went to Academy and picked up a box of Hornaday Subsonic for deer and hogs. Went to shoot a couple of rounds to check zero and it's not cycling very good. Ejects but doesn't load in another. I'm running a standard buffer and spring. I'm guessing a lighter buffer or spring or both? Your thoughts?

TIA

Do you have a gas regulator?

If you're running sub ammo and a suppressor, it will cause cycling issues. You could go with a carbine buffer and it might help over an H or H2, by not as much.

Also, what's the grain weight between the two?

Do you have a gas regulator?

If you're running sub ammo and a suppressor, it will cause cycling issues. You could go with a carbine buffer and it might help over an H or H2, by not as much.

Also, what's the grain weight between the two?

I'm going to pull the buffer when I get home to verify.

The Magtech rounds are 200GR FMJ
The Hornaday rounds are 208Gr BTHP

I'm running a standard gas block so no regulation. Like I mentioned, I've never had cycling issues with the Magtech so I wasn't concerned.

On a side note, I purchased some 7.62X54 subsonic for my AR10. It plainly states it will not cycle and action. It is so very quiet with the suppressor because you don't get the clack of the action. It's a olt action AR 10 though.

I'm going to pull the buffer when I get home to verify.

The Magtech rounds are 200GR FMJ
The Hornaday rounds are 208Gr BTHP

I'm running a standard gas block so no regulation. Like I mentioned, I've never had cycling issues with the Magtech so I wasn't concerned.

On a side note, I purchased some 7.62X54 subsonic for my AR10. It plainly states it will not cycle and action. It is so very quiet with the suppressor because you don't get the clack of the action. It's a olt action AR 10 though.

You might consider investing in an adjustable gas block. Fairly easy to swap...

Fairly easy being subjective.

Of course, if you really wanted .30-30 ballistics, you should have bought a Marlin and saved a hoop of money.

😁
30/30 is a good brush gun. I own a 30/30 marlin lever action. Also in 35REM. I have ARs in 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, and Obviously the 556. 300BO is great suppressed though.

Side note:

I checked zero on using the Hornady SUBs and they were right on with the MAgtech SUbs. Once I realized I wasn't going to be able to use the SUBs, I went on and used some no-SUB Hornady. They were not even on the paper at 80 yards. I shot at a lower dot on the paper and they were shooting a foot high. I had to adjust big time from the subs. I'm using ab EOTECH with a magnifier. I knew it would differ but I couldn't believe how much. After sighting it in I thought I would try to shoot it unsuppressed to see if it would be too loud to hunt with without hearing protection. Ah yeah, that was a big no-no. I'll have to use the suppressor while hunting.

30/30 is a good brush gun. I own a 30/30 marlin lever action. Also in 35REM. I have ARs in 7.62x39, 6.8SPC, and Obviously the 556. 300BO is great suppressed though.

Side note:

I checked zero on using the Hornady SUBs and they were right on with the MAgtech SUbs. Once I realized I wasn't going to be able to use the SUBs, I went on and used some no-SUB Hornady. They were not even on the paper at 80 yards. I shot at a lower dot on the paper and they were shooting a foot high. I had to adjust big time from the subs. I'm using ab EOTECH with a magnifier. I knew it would differ but I couldn't believe how much. After sighting it in I thought I would try to shoot it unsuppressed to see if it would be too loud to hunt with without hearing protection. Ah yeah, that was a big no-no. I'll have to use the suppressor while hunting.

I need to contact EOTech and see what they can do about my 553. It's not working...

Or just get an Aimpoint...

Reactions: InVOLuntary
And there are a few things I really want to do to my "grab and go" rifle...

Knock off the A frame and slick the front end would be a good start.

@Grand Vol popped that buffer, weighed it. It was very heavy, 4.75oz. I checked every other buffer I had and they all weighed in at 3oz (I think that's the lightest available). I swapped in one of the 3oz. I'll have to run a few rounds through it and see if that fixes it.

VN Store

Back