Tennessee > Bama

That was the least disciplined game Bama has played in years. Play them 9 more times and Bama.probably wins 8 of them, especially if any are away from Neyland. If Hooker stayed healthy and a remarch took place, then Bama.would be favored by a TD, minimum. Just my $0.02.

IF everything flies to crap next weekend then expect OSU or Bama to be the #4 team. We are not going to jump both of them. Both OSU and Bama are the committees darlings.

The points about Hook being out making us less appealing to the committee is not too sound.

A. Milton came in and looked good against Vandy. Put up some big offense. Not much let off.

B. Will Bryce Young or CJ stroud even play postseason or are they going to sit for the draft?

Milton came in and didn't look bad against Vandy, he in no way looked like a replacement for Hooker.

The committee actually publishes the criteria used to differentiate teams when they are comparable like Tennessee and Bama. Going by the criteria they list, there is absolutely no possible way Bama could be ranked ahead of Tennessee.

That said, I fully expect them to not follow their own rules and put Bama in front of us.

Reactions: VolPack22
With Hooker gone Alabama is a better team.

Overthrow Joe couldn't beat them on a neutral field.

and our defense couldn't stop another Heisman Trophy winner.

That was the least disciplined game Bama has played in years. Play them 9 more times and Bama.probably wins 8 of them, especially if any are away from Neyland. If Hooker stayed healthy and a remarch took place, then Bama.would be favored by a TD, minimum. Just my $0.02.
Actually it wasn’t. They were just as undisciplined against Texas. Look it up. They were undisciplined all season. They were like that last year too.

Alabama ranked 129th in penalties/gm in 2022
Alabama ranked 100th in penalties/gm in 2021

Actually it wasn’t. They were just as undisciplined against Texas. Look it up. They were undisciplined all season. They were like that last year too.

Alabama ranked 129th in penalties/gm in 2022
Alabama ranked 100th in penalties/gm in 2021

They are in the bottom 20 for penalties this season. Sloppy play is a hallmark.

I never thought I'd see the day that people who claim to be Vol fans are working so hard to devalue the victory over them.

Legion of the Miserable indeed.

Reactions: VolPack22
I agree. I don't think you can only look at a head to head game as a deciding factor.

Agree. The whole transitive property approach to football is never super enlightening. I think you have to look at how both teams matchup and give that a lot more weight than common opponents if you are trying to predict who is more likely to win.

Agreed. Tennessee should have dropped in the rankings after we beat Bama, because it was so obvious Bama would win 9/10.

They are in the bottom 20 for penalties this season. Sloppy play is a hallmark.

I never thought I'd see the day that people who claim to be Vol fans are working so hard to devalue the victory over them.

Legion of the Miserable indeed.
I’ve been debating them all day and it’s useless. They all use subjective arguments instead of looking at the results that actually happened on the field. We beat Alabama and some of our fans just want to wallow in their piss and tears. They are really closet Alabama fans.

Reactions: VolArmy74
Agree. The whole transitive property approach to football is never super enlightening. I think you have to look at how both teams matchup and give that a lot more weight than common opponents if you are trying to predict who is more likely to win.
It’s not transitive whenever you BEAT the team you are being compared against in addition to beating the team they couldn’t beat. It’s not that hard of a concept to comprehend. We were better than Alabama this season. Whether people choose to believe that is on them. That doesn’t mean we will be better next year or in the future, but we damn sure were better than them this season.

I wonder how much weight these voters/ selection committees give to Bryce Young vs Milton now that Hooker is down. If you were on a bowl selection committee, who fills the stands and grabs the viewers, Young or Milton? I'd take Milton not because he's better but because of the ??? factor. Committee gonna go Young.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
I wonder how much weight these voters/ selection committees give to Bryce Young vs Milton now that Hooker is down. If you were on a bowl selection committee, who fills the stands and grabs the viewers, Young or Milton? I'd take Milton not because he's better but because of the ??? factor. Committee gonna go Young.

They aren’t supposed to put any weight on it at all as I understand it. It’s supposed to be based on what you have done, not a prediction of what you will do.

They aren’t supposed to put any weight on it at all as I understand it. It’s supposed to be based on what you have done, not a prediction of what you will do.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing but genuinely wondering: are there rules for these voters? If so; are they published somewhere?

It’s not transitive whenever you BEAT the team you are being compared against in addition to beating the team they couldn’t beat. It’s not that hard of a concept to comprehend. We were better than Alabama this season. Whether people choose to believe that is on them. That doesn’t mean we will be better next year or in the future, but we damn sure were better than them this season.

We were talking about Clemson. I didn’t say head to head didn’t matter with Alabama.

Honestly I don't know. If a formula, a computer should choose the top 4 based on a set of rules. No arguments. Just rules.

Bowls are a different beast. I think popularity, whose fans will travel, advertising all plays in. I think. LOL

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing but genuinely wondering: are there rules for these voters? If so; are they published somewhere?

It’s on the website somewhere.

When there are two comparable teams, there are four criteria.

1. Championships won: Ad even
2. Strength of schedule: Ad UT
3. Head to head competition: Ad UT
4. Record against common opponents: Ad UT (2-0 vs. 1-1)

It’s on the website somewhere.

When there are two comparable teams, there are four criteria.

1. Championships won: Ad even
2. Strength of schedule: Ad UT
3. Head to head competition: Ad UT
4. Record against common opponents: Ad UT (2-0 vs. 1-1)
So here we have business Rules (for you analysts out there). Sounds like we just need someone to write the program that will apply these rules then we can all go get a beer while the computer decides.

Tennessee was the better team when we played them. However, a lot of water has gone over the dam since then. Hooker is gone due to injury and we have suffer other injuries at key positions and Alabama still has their all star QB. We would not have beaten them without Hooker and would not beat them today. I can understand why they are rated ahead of us today. It will be interesting to see where we stand after next year’s game with them.

Tennessee was the better team when we played them. However, a lot of water has gone over the dam since then. Hooker is gone due to injury and we have suffer other injuries at key positions and Alabama still has their all star QB. We would not have beaten them without Hooker and would not beat them today. I can understand why they are rated ahead of us today. It will be interesting to see where we stand after next year’s game with them.

I don’t know if I agree with you but I think this is a reasonable way to decide things and your reasoning may or may not be right but it’s not crazy (it’s reasonable to use who you think the better team is right now as a tie breaker for teams with the same record).

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
Yeah and what if it’s Bama or OSU backup vs Milton because Stroud and Young Declare for the draft?

In my defense, I’ve argued against Alabama being ranked ahead us, but I’m not saying TN should be in the playoffs. I don’t think either team should and I see no reason why anyone should be talking about Alabama and the playoffs in the same sentence.

VN Store

Back