Tennessee > Bama

That loss matters, but in this debate using the committee's own words and rankings, wins matter. That is why a 2 loss LSU was ahead of 3 1 loss P5 teams for several weeks along with a 2 loss Bama ahead of 1 loss Clemson for weeks.

The committee has shown that the right quality of wins trump what is viewed as "bad" losses.....

I'm not discounting the USC loss at all. That was downright bad and should def be in the discussion, but we also have two wins that the magnitude of those wins cut heavy into the magnitude of the loss....

The committee has been very clear that the right quality of wins can overcome what is perceived as bad losses.
My point is: no one else in the discussion for the top spots has a "lack of quality" loss.

Bama lost to two top 10 teams.
Ohio State lost to a top 5 team.
TN lost to a top 5 team and..... a got hammered by a nobody we were supposed to hammer.

Everyone else in the discussion took care of routine business. We're the one this year who lost to someone unthinkable.

It's like the Michigan issue. We complain they don't play anyone (and they don't) but they also didn't lose to any of those nobodies. We did.

Reactions: Voltopia
Some projections I'm looking at all have Bama one spot of Tennessee. How can anyone make that argument with a straight face.

If chaos happens and both TCU orUSC take an L next week, the right thing to do is give that 4th spot to Tennessee. Same record. Neither are conference champs. Tennessee has a better quality wins. Who is Alabamas best win? 8-4 Ole Miss? Lmao. Oh and Tennessee beat Bama head to freaking head. Tennessee better be number 5 come Tuesday. Bama Bias better not screw us if the opportunity occurs. Get your pitch forks ready just in case Nation.

That spot will almost assuredly go to OSU

I think all the media fails to admit Tennessee not only beat Alabama, but ALSO beat the other team Alabama couldn’t beat on the ROAD by 27 points. You have the same record and there is no conference championship to discuss so literally the only thing you can look at is head to head and common opponents. We also beat Vanderbilt more convincingly on the road whenever Alabama played them at home. Seriously, their best win is Mississippi State 🤣

Head to head ✅
LSU Win ✅✅
Larger MOV over Vanderbilt on the road ✅✅✅

Reactions: LadyVolette
I posted this in another forum about the situation to an Alabama fan arguing they should go in over Ohio State due to Strength of Schedule:

@Mistaken4193, this playoff talk reminds me of a thread going on at VolNation. Tennessee fans are wondering why Alabama is even ahead of Tennessee and they have a valid argument if you just consider SOS factor. (I don't mind Alabama being ahead of Tennessee since we lost Hooker and the way we lost to South Carolina).

Here is the SOS breakdown for all three teams. I am only going to list teams over .500 to make it easy. I am also going to note if it is a road or home game.

Ohio State:

Wins: Notre Dame (8-4), Toledo (7-5), Wisconsin (6-6), Iowa (7-5), @ Penn State (10-2), @ Maryland (7-5)

Loss: Michigan (11-1)

Alabama:

Wins: Utah State (6-6), @Texas (8-4), @Arkansas (6-6), Mississippi State (8-4), @ Ole Miss (8-4)

Losses: @ Tennessee (10-2), @lsu (9-3)

Tennessee:

Wins: @Pittsburgh (8-4), Florida (6-6), @lsu (9-3), Alabama (10-2), Kentucky (7-5), Missouri (6-6)

Losses: @ Georgia (12-0), @South Carolina (8-4)

Looking at this record, I don't think Alabama has an argument to pass up a 1-loss Ohio State team. Ohio State's win @ Penn State trumps anything on Alabama's resume. Even in the SEC, you lose the SOS argument with Tennessee who has wins over a 10-2 and @ a 9-3 team. Tennessee's win @ Pittsburgh is also equivalent to your Texas win. The resumes are pretty comparable overall on number of bowl teams that each program faced but Ohio State and Tennessee both have marque wins greater than anything Alabama has won.

I think the trump card for Tennessee is how bad they lost to South Carolina (although that loss doesn't seem as bad since South Carolina just beat Clemson) and also the fact that Tennessee lost Hendon Hooker.

Personally, I think the SEC is done. Only Georgia deserves to go. Alabama did play a tough schedule but they just did NOT get a lot of quality wins. SEC East was arguably better than the SEC West this year. You can see it with both Georgia and Tennessee going 2-0 against the West, Missouri going 1-1, Kentucky going 1-1, South Carolina going 1-1, and Florida going 1-1. Only Vanderbilt went 0-2. SEC East had a 1-game lead over the SEC West.

LSU was a pretty weak top ten team, IMO and got exposed. Had LSU won this past weekend, I think you would have a better argument although you would be up against a Tennessee team with two 10-2 wins.

If chaos happens and both TCU orUSC take an L next week, the right thing to do is give that 4th spot to Tennessee. Same record. Neither are conference champs. Tennessee has a better quality wins. Who is Alabamas best win? 8-4 Ole Miss? Lmao. Oh and Tennessee beat Bama head to freaking head. Tennessee better be number 5 come Tuesday. Bama Bias better not screw us if the opportunity occurs. Get your pitch forks ready just in case Nation.
Always interested in how your imagination and challenged intellect work together. There is no scenario where we are considered for the CFP. Barring the death of two teams due to the plague, we aren’t going. Go sleep it off. Maybe they’ll let you play outside later today if there’s no traffic.

Thought rankings were based on history of performance not injury reports

If our only loss was Georgia, it would be a nothing burger...

But a loss to Carolina + Hooker injury, hard to say with straight face Tennessee is the better team than Bama solely based on head to head factor.

Nah. They will look at the whole picture. They lost two games by a combined 4 points. Our two losses were embarrassments. Quit kidding yourself. We are also without hooker. They have young still who is arguably the best in the country. Give it up.

If our only loss was Georgia, it would be a nothing burger...

But a loss to Carolina + Hooker injury, hard to say with straight face Tennessee is the better team than Bama solely based on head to head factor.
How can we know unless we play them with Milton. We can't. And neither can the committee. But based on beating them head 2 head and having a stronger schedule should be enough

How can we know unless we play them with Milton. We can't. And neither can the committee. But based on beating them head 2 head and having a stronger schedule should be enough

Valid point. But very unlikely that our backup is just as good as the Heisman contending QB we lost to injury.

OH is a one loss team and TCU if they lose would be a one loss team and if USC wins next week they are a one loss team. All of these teams deserve to be in over Bama and TN . TN should have handled business but they didnt. Bama is not worthy of a CFP this year thats a fact .

My point is: no one else in the discussion for the top spots has a "lack of quality" loss.

Bama lost to two top 10 teams.
Ohio State lost to a top 5 team.
TN lost to a top 5 team and..... a got hammered by a nobody we were supposed to hammer.

Everyone else in the discussion took care of routine business. We're the one this year who lost to someone unthinkable.

It's like the Michigan issue. We complain they don't play anyone (and they don't) but they also didn't lose to any of those nobodies. We did.
That team you’re speaking of would be the 3rd or 4th best team in the B1G…

do you think OSU should drop 6 spots or more from their loss?

I say that because Tennessee didn’t and they got hammered by SC.

I hate OSU and I love Tennessee…….but it is what it is.

OSU should drop 4 spots. That’s what Tennessee dropped when they lost to Georgia. Tennessee played on the road but was never in that game. OSU lost bad but at least it was a game through 3 quarters 24-20 at the end of 3.

But even if you drop them 5 spots they still ahead of Tennessee.

I didn’t write that post well. I agree that OSU should be ahead of us. Do not think Bama should be though. I’d have OSU at 5, Tennessee at 6, Bama at 7.

Our loss is terrible but our wins more than make up for it IMO. Bama has nothing. Their best win is against 8-4 Ole Miss and that was a narrow victory. They also squeaked past Texas and 5-win Texas A&M.

We beat the brakes off LSU, UK, and Missouri. Alabama didn’t beat up on anyone decent like that.

Last edited:
We don't beat Bama without Hooker, and we no longer have Hooker. They are now a better team than we are because of that, and Hendon isn’t coming back. It is what it is.

I didn’t write that post well. I agree that OSU should be ahead of us. Do not think Bama should be though. I’d have OSU at 5, Tennessee at 6, Bama at 7.

Our loss is terrible but our wins more than make up for it IMO. Bama has nothing. Their best win is against 8-4 Ole Miss.

I don’t think they should no.

However based on their previous ranking, Tennessee’s and when Tennessee lost yes.

I would have had Bama lower to begin with……or over the past many weeks.

I don’t think they should no.

However based on their previous ranking, Tennessee’s and when Tennessee lost yes.

I would have had Bama lower to begin with……or over the past many weeks.

I updated the post you quoted here with more reasoning on why I’d have Bama lower. It doesn’t matter really. OSU will get in if USC were to lose. The other 3 spots are likely locked in.

Only difference between us being higher or lower is Sugar Bowl (vs KSU?) vs Orange Bowl (vs ACC Champ)

Unlike most others I still think we’re capable of beating any of those teams, but it will take Milton getting into a rare groove.

The points about Hook being out making us less appealing to the committee is not too sound.

A. Milton came in and looked good against Vandy. Put up some big offense. Not much let off.

B. Will Bryce Young or CJ stroud even play postseason or are they going to sit for the draft?

VN Store

Back