Tennessee > Bama

Not according to the committee. They kept a 2 loss LSU ahead of 1 loss USC/Oregon for weeks. 2 loss Bama ahead of 1 loss Clemson for weeks….

Why was that? Because quality of wins matter more than number of losses.

The committee has been crystal clear that quality of wins matter more than Number of losses

does Bama have better quality of wins than Tennessee? no therefore UT should be above Bama and according to your view ahead of OSU

Problem is Tennessee just lost really bad last week.

They don’t have time to work their way back like LSU did.

Reactions: JMSqb11
does Bama have better quality of wins than Tennessee? no therefore UT should be above Bama and according to your view ahead of OSU

If Hendon was healthy, I would say yes to being ahead of Bama. Tennessee vs Ohio State would be interesting comparison. Both have awful losses. Tennessee has one more loss (27-13 loss to #1 UGA) but have two wins over #7 Bama and likely Top 15 LSU…. Those two wins trump OSU’s win over Penn State.

But since we deal in reality, Hooker being hurt will end all discussions.

Ohio state had their worst home loss in decades to the one great team on their schedule by 22 points. That’s not that far off from a 25 point loss on the road.

In simple form, Tennessee should be ahead of Bama on most data points. The ultimate reason I think we WON’T be is Hendon’s season ending injury. We are not the same team and the committee has to take his injury into account. While OSU and Bama have better losses, their wins don’t come close to ours. I think it will be a tighter ranking than many think because the committee has clearly stated the quality of wins matter first and foremost. It’s the very reason a 2 loss LSU was ranked ahead of 1 loss USC and Oregon for so long and why 2 loss Bama was ahead of 1 loss Clemson for a bit.
That's quite the spin on the Ohio State 22 point loss to a #3 Michigan vs our loss 25 point loss to an unranked, 4 loss South Carolina.

They aren't similar. Losing by 25 to an unranked, 4 loss team is nothing like losing by 21 to a #3 ranked, undefeated team.

I loathe Ohio State more than most but their one loss just wasn't to a nobody. Our second loss, our "bad" loss was to a nobody.

First, 2 losses vs 1 loss. Second, USCe is unlikely to be ranked above #20...... they have 4 losses. They may play a similar strength of schedule to Michigan but they didn't win the games.

If Hendon was healthy, I would say yes to being ahead of Bama. Tennessee vs Ohio State would be interesting comparison. Both have awful losses. Tennessee has one more loss (27-13 loss to #1 UGA) but have two wins over #7 Bama and likely Top 15 LSU…. Those two wins trump OSU’s win over Penn State.

But since we deal in reality, Hooker being hurt will end all discussions.

I'm not suggesting UT should be in the playoffs or even ahead of OSU.

I think UT should be ranked above Alabama on all metrics - the only issue is Hooker but if playoffs are out it shouldn't impact rankings.

I think OSU with one loss still ranks ahead of either UT or Alabama.

Reactions: BeardedVol
That's quite the spin on the Ohio State 22 point loss to a #3 Michigan vs our loss 25 point loss to an unranked, 4 loss South Carolina.

They aren't similar. Losing by 25 to an unranked, 4 loss team is nothing like losing by 21 to a #3 ranked, undefeated team.

I loathe Ohio State more than most but their one loss just wasn't to a nobody. Our second loss, our "bad" loss was to a nobody.

First, 2 losses vs 1 loss. Second, USCe is unlikely to be ranked above #20...... they have 4 losses. They may play a similar strength of schedule to Michigan but they didn't win the games.

We lost on the road by 25 points. Ohio State lost in their house by the worst margin in 3-4 decades since a 22-0 loss.

Losing on the road and at home is not the same thing. There is no spinning to it.

And once again, the committee has shown that 1 loss teams aren’t automatically gonna be ranked ahead of 2 loss teams just for the sake of it. They also take wins into consideration. They literally proved that with LSUbfor the last the month.

We lost on the road by 25 points. Ohio State lost in their house by the worst margin in 3-4 decades since a 22-0 loss.

Losing on the road and at home is not the same thing. There is no spinning to it.

And once again, the committee has shown that 1 loss teams aren’t automatically gonna be ranked ahead of 2 loss teams just for the sake of it. They also take wins into consideration. They literally proved that with LSUbfor the last the month.
Losing by 21 to an undefeated, #3 ranked team, even at home is nothing like losing by 25 to a 4 LOSS, UNRANKED team on the road. It was the worst loss in TN history to an unranked opponent which trumps the "worst loss at home in 3-4 decades."

There's plenty of spin going on. Had Ohio State lost by 25 at Maryland, who they played when we played USCe, who had 5 losses and was unranked, you'd likely insist that's an awful and disqualifying loss.

We lost a game by 25 when we were favored by 21. Some turds you just can't polish.

Who in the conversation for the top 6 has that kind of loss except TN?

Last edited:
well there won’t be any chaos this year really.

if USC wins they deserve it

If USC were to lose and the committee gives it to OSU…….Bama can only blame themselves……they lost twice. And OSU has a marquee win.

if USC were to lose and the committee gives it to Bama……Ohio ST really don’t have an argument. They lost big at home in their biggest game by a lot. Also Bama has a much better SOS.

Tennessee can’t be in the mix because two other teams would definitely be ahead of them and all three sitting at home not playing.

While Tennessee has a good resume Losses play into that as well. Tennessee has 2 and lost late and lost bad……..REAL bad.

No doubt about it the playoff will consist of:

Michigan
Georgia
TCU

All locks

USC if they win

If USC loses its OSU or Bama.

Technically I think (just me personally) I think OSU should only move 4 spots and stay ahead of Bama (4 spots but gain one back with the LSU loss) OSU at 5 and Bama at 6; however I believe Bama will be put into the 5th spot.
Let me ask you this

Do you believe Bama should be ahead of us then? Like you would value their resume over the Vols even though the Vols beat them and destroyed LSU?

Let me ask you this

Do you believe Bama should be ahead of us then? Like you would value their resume over the Vols even though the Vols beat them and destroyed LSU?
Let me ask you this, did Alabama lose by 25 points to an unranked, 4 loss team they were favored over by 21 points?

Let me ask you this, did Alabama lose by 25 points to an unranked, 4 loss team they were favored by 21 points?
No they did not

But uh let me bring this up again

THEY F***ING LOST TO TENNESSEE

AND LSU

TENNESSEE BEAT LSU AND ALABAMA

Yes we got killed by USCjr

Why do you think that should be more important than strength of wins AND head to freaking head for crying out loud.

Also

We had a harder overall strength of schedule

Like no. We beat them. Period. We have better wins. Period.

It quite literally would be a steaming pile of bs if they put Bama ahead of us solely because of the South Carolina game.

I mean I've never heard of one bad loss (not that bad now that they went on the road and broke Clemson's 40 game home win streak) Canceling out a head to head victory and better overall resume.

Only Alabama could possibly get away with some bs like that.

If it were anyone else there wouldn't be a damn question about it.

Their best wins are against the Mississippi schools dude and a meh Texas. That's it!

But hey keep on fighting for one bad loss cancels out head to head win. SOS and strength of overall wins.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Let me ask you this

No

However I’m not on the committee.

Last week Bama was ranked 8th. Tennessee #5th. Tennessee lost by 4 scores, giving up 63 points to an unranked SC team. Should Tennessee have moved more than 3 spots back…….well yes (and they did). Therefore Bama got ahead of Tennessee……with virtually no time left for Tennessee to gain that back.

Tennessee has better wins
Tennessee has a slightly better SOS
Bama has a better SOR
Bama has a better FPI
Bama was WAY better losses
Tennessee has the head to head win; however that was on the road by last season FG

If it were close…….which it is probably be who is simply ahead in rankings now and who lost last. Tennessee took that terrible loss with no time to make it up.

If I were on the committee I would have had Bama a bit lower weeks ago; however now we see they probably belonged were they were.

No they did not

But uh let me bring this up again

THEY F***ING LOST TO TENNESSEE

AND LSU

TENNESSEE BEAT LSU AND ALABAMA

Yes we got killed by USCjr

Why do you think that should be more important than strength of wins AND head to freaking head for crying out loud.

Also

We had a harder overall strength of schedule

Like no. We beat them. Period. We have better wins. Period.

It quite literally would be a steaming pile of bs if they put Bama ahead of us solely because of the South Carolina game.

I mean I've never heard of one bad loss (not that bad now that they went on the road and broke Clemson's 40 game home win streak) Canceling out a head to head victory and better overall resume.

Only Alabama could possibly get away with some bs like that.

If it were anyone else there wouldn't be a damn question about it.

Their best wins are against the Mississippi schools dude and a meh Texas. That's it!

But hey keep on fighting for one bad loss cancels out head to head win. SOS and strength of overall wins.
Let me ask you, is there another team being considered for the top seven who was favored by 21 points over an unranked 4 loss team and lost by 25 points?

I don't think there is.

Alabama lost to #9 and #6.
TN lost to #1 and...... a four loss, unranked nobody.
Ohio State lost to #3.

It's somewhat excusable to lose to ranked teams. It's pretty embarrassing to lose by 25 points to a nobody team you're favored to beat by 21.

Sure, head to head matters but taking care of regular business matters too. We didn't. Everyone else looking to be in the top seven did.

The ugly truth is with our defense and no Hooker, we do not belong in the playoffs....
If anybody ever needed to snap back to reality about the futility of being #4, this could help.

I don’t really see the joy of getting murdered in the playoffs, but it seems like every year we get to talk about how prissy #5 didn’t get the reaming that was surely coming to them.

It’s been a great season. CFP #1 vs #4 is the only deliberately mismatched bowl game available.

None of this matters.

They are not going to drop OSU more than 4 or 5 spots. With LSU losing that goes to 3 or 4 spots.

No way Tennessee can jump OSU and Bama by hammering Vandy.

If that SC game were 4 weeks ago……maybe but it was last week.

I love Tennessee but if the committee thought OSU was the #2 in no way should Tennessee get ahead of them because OSU got thumped by the #3 team………Tennessee got thumped by freakin SC.

Great season, best (so far) since 2003. I’m loving it. Can’t wait for the bowl; however Tennessee simply doesn’t deserve to be in the playoff this season. I’m not saying Bama does, nor am I saying OSU does………but my favorite team doesn’t………and I’m not complaining or being negative about that.

If chaos happens and both TCU orUSC take an L next week, the right thing to do is give that 4th spot to Tennessee. Same record. Neither are conference champs. Tennessee has a better quality wins. Who is Alabamas best win? 8-4 Ole Miss? Lmao. Oh and Tennessee beat Bama head to freaking head. Tennessee better be number 5 come Tuesday. Bama Bias better not screw us if the opportunity occurs. Get your pitch forks ready just in case Nation.
Crap, I wish I read this before making the exact same point in a different thread 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Unfortunately, selection committees place more value on what you do late in the season. Unless, of course, it’s UT basketball, in which case a conference tournament championship means absolutely nothing.

Let me ask you this, did Alabama lose by 25 points to an unranked, 4 loss team they were favored over by 21 points?

That loss matters, but in this debate using the committee's own words and rankings, wins matter. That is why a 2 loss LSU was ahead of 3 1 loss P5 teams for several weeks along with a 2 loss Bama ahead of 1 loss Clemson for weeks.

The committee has shown that the right quality of wins trump what is viewed as "bad" losses.....

I'm not discounting the USC loss at all. That was downright bad and should def be in the discussion, but we also have two wins that the magnitude of those wins cut heavy into the magnitude of the loss....

The committee has been very clear that the right quality of wins can overcome what is perceived as bad losses.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Bama lost close games, Vols got boat raced twice. Plus they're Bama. That's why they'll stay ahead.. They may correct it at the end of the Bowl games if we win..

VN Store

Back