Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

What’s hilarious is Kellie basically said everything we said on the board about the team and the coaches responsibility to get it corrected yet we have all these apologists and deniers who come on the board and make excuses. We all see something is off. Even the coach admits it. I encourage fans to watch.

Hate to say it but she needs to watch some Geno videos on we're not here to teach you toughness and energy. Very somber interview at the beginning of the season and almost like an interview after getting bounced in round two of the tournament.

Reactions: Cudaman340
She's playing to win now and figure the rest out later. Not how you draw it up in recruiting needs. But spot on as lack of recruiting HS will catch up and will cause a deeper dive.
I agree that if she's playing to win "now" then it's a different strategy than trying to plan for the long game. But a risky one if it leaves you with no team for next season...plus the fact that she's sacrificing her HS recruits early on and the team isn't winning either.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I agree that if she's playing to win "now" then it's a different strategy than trying to plan for the long game. But a risky one if it leaves you with no team for next season...plus the fact that she's sacrificing her HS recruits early on and the team isn't winning either.
She'll have to dive into the portal and get transfers. Which puts us in the same situation of get players and figure it out later while hoping for the best.

She'll have to dive into the portal and get transfers. Which puts us in the same situation of get players and figure it out later while hoping for the best.
The other reason I don't like a heavy reliance on the portal for your star players is that it sends a message to HS recruits that they'll just get "portalled" over at any moment. Maybe you can get away with it occasionally like with LSU/Angel Reese, since they were in the midst of a full roster overhaul with the coaching change, graduations, and transfers. But I find it to be a dangerous strategy to replace HS recruitment.

The other reason I don't like a heavy reliance on the portal for your star players is that it sends a message to HS recruits that they'll just get "portalled" over at any moment. Maybe you can get away with it occasionally like with LSU/Angel Reese, since they were in the midst of a full roster overhaul with the coaching change, graduations, and transfers. But I find it to be a dangerous strategy to replace HS recruitment.
Very smart post

It goes back to the old days of Kansas State football under Bill Snyder. He knew he couldn't recruit highly decorated players to Manhattan, KS in the 90's so he hit up and built a team of Juco players with a few lower tier HS kids. Each year was a crap shoot, some really good years but mainly a lived in mediocrity. Including Tennessee special teams coach Mike Ekeler who was a walkon in the early 90's.

Starting to fall apart....
wheels-fall.gif

Key's first paint touch at 1:05 left in first quarter. Franklin can't shot or rebound, Puckett should seriously consider transfer portal now! Miles throwing the ball in twice under the basket?? Still trying to run with Key and Darby? Why does Walker, who can't dribble, defend, or pass get so many minutes? Why are Puckett and Suarez getting less minutes than Wynn, Walker, Franklin? They can shout, and pass, and defend. Why is her Husband still on a staff, that can't recruit high school talent, or it appears scout, or prepare a team? Does anyone think anyone would give him a job, or he might leave, or is an assist? I don't understand one line up played all night! Subbing was horrible, play calling was no existing, and Key could just be in foul trouble as useless as Kellie's use of her is. Kellie, there is no Jolly in your bad job coaching, recruiting, subbing, or game planning. We have been 0-3 in coaching. Franklin " shoot will come" according to Kellie, hey Kellie, Puckett can rebound and shoot. Wynn, Franklin Hollingsworth, not so much! Darby is not the only one who can shoot a 3. Puckett and Suarez can too, play them. Walker can't dribble, pass, or defend, sadly we really suck at all three. Why Kellie, Why?????
Over all PUCKETT is a better choice than DARBY by far. I dont understand the Darby thing at all, yea she can make a 3 when they actually get her the ball but is a liability on defense bad and she literally can barely dribble, she can't take anyone off the dribble heck the lane was wide open many times Darby got the ball and she just stands there with it or tries to dribble but can't go anywhere. Why is she getting all the minutes ? Make it make sense.
Puckett and Suarez can both defend, take off the dribble and shoot 3s. Any I guess Justine isn't going to get a chance this season, hello she can shoot 3s too

Over all PUCKETT is a better choice than DARBY by far. I dont understand the Darby thing at all, yea she can make a 3 when they actually get her the ball but is a liability on defense bad and she literally can barely dribble, she can't take anyone off the dribble heck the lane was wide open many times Darby got the ball and she just stands there with it or tries to dribble but can't go anywhere. Why is she getting all the minutes ? Make it make sense.
Puckett and Suarez can both defend, take off the dribble and shoot 3s. Any I guess Justine isn't going to get a chance this season, hello she can shoot 3s too
Of all the issues from last night's game, I don't understand why Darby is getting blame. She was one of the few bright spots. She played hard, boxed out in the 2nd half, and hit some timely 3's (one of them off a great pump fake and step back). She's never gonna be a defensive stopper on the perimeter, but neither is Puckett or Suarez. At the guard/W spot, she' probably the best option. Puckett/Suarez are better suited to playing inside than outside. They have the same skill deficiencies as Tess (maybe even slower), but don't shoot as well as she does.

Agree that hopefully as the season progresses, Justine positions herself as the needed upgrade at the 2/3 spot.

Some have called it hyperbole, but here's where the current team stands now about a third of the way through the season:

Field Goal Percentage: .398 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest .408 in 2015-16)

Free Throw Percentage: .589 WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (next lowest is .627 in 1985-86)

Three Point Percentage: .278 THIRD WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (two worst were .231 in 1988-89, .254 in 2015-16)

Points Per Game: 66.9 SECOND WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (worst was 65.6 in 2015-16)

Assists Per Game: 12.9 TIED FOR WORST IN SCHOOL HISTORY (the 1992-93 team actually finished with 12.91)
None of this has anything to do with the present team. They are under performing. Kellie is being out coached period...

Of all the issues from last night's game, I don't understand why Darby is getting blame. She was one of the few bright spots. She played hard, boxed out in the 2nd half, and hit some timely 3's (one of them off a great pump fake and step back). She's never gonna be a defensive stopper on the perimeter, but neither is Puckett or Suarez. At the guard/W spot, she' probably the best option. Puckett/Suarez are better suited to playing inside than outside. They have the same skill deficiencies as Tess (maybe even slower), but don't shoot as well as she does.

Agree that hopefully as the season progresses, Justine positions herself as the needed upgrade at the 2/3 spot.
No hate or blame towards Tess, they just don't use her enough for what she is good at to be in the game that many minutes standing around, plus she is very slow, slowest on the team by far and can't defend any position. If you are going to put her in the game for 32 minutes then by gosh you better be running plays to her over and over or she is useless.
She is a good shooter no doubt but honestly that is completely it at this level. I dont blame tess I blame the coaches!!!!!

No hate or blame towards Tess, they just don't use her enough for what she is good at to be in the game that many minutes standing around, plus she is very slow, slowest on the team by far and can't defend any position. If you are going to put her in the game for 32 minutes then by gosh you better be running plays to her over and over or she is useless.
She is a good shooter no doubt but honestly that is completely it at this level. I dont blame tess I blame the coaches!!!!!
Tennessee has never run plays for 3-point shooters. Even Angie Bjorklund, who was one of the deadliest outside shooters. She was an afterthought in their offensive scheme. Pass around the perimeter and hope that a player has been open, but it's not like they actively use screens to free up the shooters. That has been the case going back to CPS' days.

We missed the mark trying to hire who the boosters wanted and not thinking about the future of the program. It's all over now , we are no longer relevant . Kellie needs to go , heck Walz would have had them playing harder than this .

How is Kara Lawson doing? Would love to see her at UT one day.
That ship has sailed she will be at duke for the next 30 years making Final 4's and ACC championships soon. Why leave duke for a program that's your alma mater that turned you down without even giving you an interview to hire a mid major 90's champion LOL . The game is not the same as it were in late 90's so to see that style being used as if its going to be successful is just laughable. Im a LV fan through thick and thin but ive had enough . 10 yearrs of just piss poor results and its getting worse. Im jumping ship sorry you guys ......Im out

I’m just waiting on someone to say that maybe building your team thru the portal isn’t as good of an idea as they thought. I’m sure that roles change and some for the better, but others lose their spot and it changes moral. But, many other teams seem to be benefiting from it, so maybe it’s coaching. To be honest, I think it’s a lot of many things. They need more shooters and they need to define roles. Marta comes in and shoots it anytime she’s open…maybe there is a reason you are open Marta. Puckett seems like she doesn’t know her role. If anyone other than Darby is going to shoot the triple, it should be Puckett. We need a defined ball handler and let that person play 30-35 mins. Stop switching lineups at every dead ball. It kills chemistry and they need to play together more. Kellie has to shorten the bench and go from there. Will it cause resentment? Probably. Oh well! Tamari Key needs to play with more passion! Just some observations.
Portal is good for plugging in a player or two in key areas of need. As stated earlier this teams does not have defined roles, leaders and chemistry playing together.

Tennessee has never run plays for 3-point shooters. Even Angie Bjorklund, who was one of the deadliest outside shooters. She was an afterthought in their offensive scheme. Pass around the perimeter and hope that a player has been open, but it's not like they actively use screens to free up the shooters. That has been the case going back to CPS' days.

Successful screens for 3 pointers and there would not be so much doom and gloom.

We can slice it or dice it but in reality we are starting off really bad. No high school recruits is a bad sign and right now we have no business playing UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina or just about anyone in the top 25. Right now we are looking at a season gone bad after so much hope. Like many LV fans I am not ready to give up on the team but looking for any signs of encouragement. Indiana is a good team but they are not a final four team. Right now the coaching seems to be in over their heads with limited hope of getting things back on track. I feel for the players, the fans and really feel for KJH, but as much as I love her, it may be getting time to cut bate. The question then becomes who do we replace her with? We could try and throw money at a big time coach, but which one would be willing to leave a winning program and take on the LV program? We could throw a lot of money at a WNBA coach, however, which one? We could certainly pay them more money than they are earning now. We could go after an assistant coach at a winning program but that is a crap shoot that may or may not work. We could go after one of the LV legends but being a great player does not mean you can coach or motivate a bunch of 18 to 24 year old young women. If this continues to trend towards a dumpster fire, the AD must come up with a solution to save the program and that solution may well be going away from the Pat Summitt tree. The program, the players, what Pat established, and the fan base deserves better than they are currently getting.

We don’t have to have a former player to be successful! I actually think some new blood and thinking would be great for the program! I do think Kara Lawson would have been a great hire. It’s too bad we didn’t make that hire when we could have.

We don’t have to have a former player to be successful! I actually think some new blood and thinking would be great for the program! I do think Kara Lawson would have been a great hire. It’s too bad we didn’t make that hire when we could have.
I think Phil hired Kellie because he didn't have to spend all that much money to get her to come to Tennessee.

Suarez couldn't take my wherl chair bound dad off the dribble...

VN Store

Back