Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

How is Kara Lawson doing? Would love to see her at UT one day.

Do any of our seniors have another year of Covid eligibility? Might any of them play another year? If not, we lose practically all of our talent after this year--Jackson, Horston, Powell, Key--all seniors. Walker and Franklin are Graduates, so I assume they will be gone. If we lose all our seniors, we could be seriously terrible next year unless the staff finds--at a minimum--a very good guard and a very good forward in the portal. We got one of each this year--but good transfers are not easy to get, and we've got nobody--no freshmen--coming in. Harper has got to pull this team together this year or her situation could become dicey very quickly. Even if we can make something of this year--which is almost imperative--the next two years could be a problem unless the staff works some portal magic.

Thankfully, Danny White is too smart to let this go on any longer than necessary.
He has a keen eye for coaching candidates.

Last edited:
Key's first paint touch at 1:05 left in first quarter. Franklin can't shot or rebound, Puckett should seriously consider transfer portal now! Miles throwing the ball in twice under the basket?? Still trying to run with Key and Darby? Why does Walker, who can't dribble, defend, or pass get so many minutes? Why are Puckett and Suarez getting less minutes than Wynn, Walker, Franklin? They can shout, and pass, and defend. Why is her Husband still on a staff, that can't recruit high school talent, or it appears scout, or prepare a team? Does anyone think anyone would give him a job, or he might leave, or is an assist? I don't understand one line up played all night! Subbing was horrible, play calling was no existing, and Key could just be in foul trouble as useless as Kellie's use of her is. Kellie, there is no Jolly in your bad job coaching, recruiting, subbing, or game planning. We have been 0-3 in coaching. Franklin " shoot will come" according to Kellie, hey Kellie, Puckett can rebound and shoot. Wynn, Franklin Hollingsworth, not so much! Darby is not the only one who can shoot a 3. Puckett and Suarez can too, play them. Walker can't dribble, pass, or defend, sadly we really suck at all three. Why Kellie, Why?????

Harper was upset after this game--almost emotional, angry. Not loud angry but simmering angry. Not happy with the team's mentality. Lack
of urgency and lack of mental toughness. Not doing the things needed to win--like blocking out. Mentioned throwing the ball away on an inbounds pass when we were 4/5 down and IU taking it down the floor for a score as a significant play that showed our problems. She said she and the coaches will have to think more about the rotation and playing time.

I'm not sure this team has any real leaders, which is a strange thing on a team with a bunch of seniors and a couple of graduates. Harper said
Powell, who seems like she could be a leader, is not that vocal--and she's also new to the team. Not sure who else has leadership qualities.

Players respond to coaches to varying degrees. Some coaches can really motivate a team and its individuals; some have trouble getting their teams to play hard and play well. Harper needs to light a fire under this group. Getting more intensity on the defensive end has to be job one.

I felt like the Nikki after UCLA would've been able to recruit here at a very high level. For a while, the brand recruited itself. I mean HW was still getting most players she wanted. Clearly by the end of the LSU coaching career she had lost the luster, and HW had tarnished the Lady Vol brand with her results so it would've been a tougher ask.

HW won on talent based on the Lady Vol name so anyone could've done that. That's why each season got worse for HW. She was like going to sleep and having Freddy Krueger chasing the program.
She was tops in recruiting her entire tenure, she only talent on this team left, Key and Horston. Year in year out she rivaled only UCONN for best!

Harper was upset after this game--almost emotional, angry. Not loud angry but simmering angry. Not happy with the team's mentality. Lack
of urgency and lack of mental toughness. Not doing the things needed to win--like blocking out. Mentioned throwing the ball away on an inbounds pass when we were 4/5 down and IU taking it down the floor for a score as a significant play that showed our problems. She said she and the coaches will have to think more about the rotation and playing time.

I'm not sure this team has any real leaders, which is a strange thing on a team with a bunch of seniors and a couple of graduates. Harper said
Powell, who seems like she could be a leader, is not that vocal--and she's also new to the team. Not sure who else has leadership qualities.

Players respond to coaches to varying degrees. Some coaches can really motivate a team and its individuals; some have trouble getting their teams to play hard and play well. Harper needs to light a fire under this group. Getting more intensity on the defensive end has to be job one.
Well she shouldn't have had Miles throwing the ball in under the basket then should she! Not once but twice. Did she have an effective line up for what they were doing once? Nope, and ever Caroline Peck was calling her out! Worst the big horse teeth Lobo was eating it up!

Reactions: Voluble2

first harper needs to light a fire under herself

I felt like the Nikki after UCLA would've been able to recruit here at a very high level. For a while, the brand recruited itself. I mean HW was still getting most players she wanted. Clearly by the end of the LSU coaching career she had lost the luster, and HW had tarnished the Lady Vol brand with her results so it would've been a tougher ask.

HW won on talent based on the Lady Vol name so anyone could've done that. That's why each season got worse for HW. She was like going to sleep and having Freddy Krueger chasing the program.
Freddie Krueger coaching the team would be an improvement.

What’s hilarious is Kellie basically said everything we said on the board about the team and the coaches responsibility to get it corrected yet we have all these apologists and deniers who come on the board and make excuses. We all see something is off. Even the coach admits it. I encourage fans to watch.

Key's first paint touch at 1:05 left in first quarter. Franklin can't shot or rebound, Puckett should seriously consider transfer portal now! Miles throwing the ball in twice under the basket?? Still trying to run with Key and Darby? Why does Walker, who can't dribble, defend, or pass get so many minutes? Why are Puckett and Suarez getting less minutes than Wynn, Walker, Franklin? They can shout, and pass, and defend. Why is her Husband still on a staff, that can't recruit high school talent, or it appears scout, or prepare a team? Does anyone think anyone would give him a job, or he might leave, or is an assist? I don't understand one line up played all night! Subbing was horrible, play calling was no existing, and Key could just be in foul trouble as useless as Kellie's use of her is. Kellie, there is no Jolly in your bad job coaching, recruiting, subbing, or game planning. We have been 0-3 in coaching. Franklin " shoot will come" according to Kellie, hey Kellie, Puckett can rebound and shoot. Wynn, Franklin Hollingsworth, not so much! Darby is not the only one who can shoot a 3. Puckett and Suarez can too, play them. Walker can't dribble, pass, or defend, sadly we really suck at all three. Why Kellie, Why?????
Puckett should get more time than walker. And for sure Wynn. Suarez needs more playing time agree.

I’m just waiting on someone to say that maybe building your team thru the portal isn’t as good of an idea as they thought. I’m sure that roles change and some for the better, but others lose their spot and it changes moral. But, many other teams seem to be benefiting from it, so maybe it’s coaching. To be honest, I think it’s a lot of many things. They need more shooters and they need to define roles. Marta comes in and shoots it anytime she’s open…maybe there is a reason you are open Marta. Puckett seems like she doesn’t know her role. If anyone other than Darby is going to shoot the triple, it should be Puckett. We need a defined ball handler and let that person play 30-35 mins. Stop switching lineups at every dead ball. It kills chemistry and they need to play together more. Kellie has to shorten the bench and go from there. Will it cause resentment? Probably. Oh well! Tamari Key needs to play with more passion! Just some observations.

I’m just waiting on someone to say that maybe building your team thru the portal isn’t as good of an idea as they thought. I’m sure that roles change and some for the better, but others lose their spot and it changes moral. But, many other teams seem to be benefiting from it, so maybe it’s coaching. To be honest, I think it’s a lot of many things. They need more shooters and they need to define roles. Marta comes in and shoots it anytime she’s open…maybe there is a reason you are open Marta. Puckett seems like she doesn’t know her role. If anyone other than Darby is going to shoot the triple, it should be Puckett. We need a defined ball handler and let that person play 30-35 mins. Stop switching lineups at every dead ball. It kills chemistry and they need to play together more. Kellie has to shorten the bench and go from there. Will it cause resentment? Probably. Oh well! Tamari Key needs to play with more passion! Just some observations.

What Kellie does with the portal in the off season needs to be carefully planned. If she uses the portal to recruit over players like Striplin, Puckett, Miles, Wynn and Suarez again, then there's a high likelihood that a good number of them will leave. Given the lack of recruits in '22 and '23, she would basically be building brand new teams from the portal every year until she can stabilize HS recruiting, and that can easily turn into a vicious cycle and actually hurt HS recruiting.

I get that she needs to shorten her rotation. At the same time, she has to be careful not to relegate her HS recruits to the end of the bench and give them reason to second guess their place on the team. Walker and Franklin in particular probably need to play less in order to develop the players she'll be counting on next year and beyond. To an extent, the same is true of Jackson. Hopefully, the sophomores and Pissott have a chance to play significant minutes against the weaker teams in the OOC to get them in a groove and boost their confidence.

What Kellie does with the portal in the off season needs to be carefully planned. If she uses the portal to recruit over players like Striplin, Puckett, Miles, Wynn and Suarez again, then there's a high likelihood that a good number of them will leave. Given the lack of recruits in '22 and '23, she would basically be building brand new teams from the portal every year until she can stabilize HS recruiting, and that can easily turn into a vicious cycle and actually hurt HS recruiting.

I get that she needs to shorten her rotation. At the same time, she has to be careful not to relegate her HS recruits to the end of the bench and give them reason to second guess their place on the team. Walker and Franklin in particular probably need to play less in order to develop the players she'll be counting on next year and beyond. To an extent, the same is true of Jackson. Hopefully, the sophomores and Pissott have a chance to play significant minutes against the weaker teams in the OOC to get them in a groove and boost their confidence.

She's playing to win now and figure the rest out later. Not how you draw it up in recruiting needs. But spot on as lack of recruiting HS will catch up and will cause a deeper dive.

VN Store

Back