CFP Scenarios (merged)

So you want us to look at the scores and believe the committee will give us more credit for a loss at UGA than a win for TCU? But then you state Oregon will not jump us because we have the same record, after a 39 point win? Now I don't think Oregon jumps us (yet) but you seem to be using selective information to fit your ideal scenario
TCU may jump is but we fall no further than the 5 spot. We win out and everything takes care of itself

Reactions: TNBV
They don't have too but would be helpful. Honestly, I think Clemson is a lock to go 13-0.

Winner of Michigan / Ohio State will go 13-0

SEC will have 2 teams in the playoff and it will be as such:

13-0 UGA and 11-1 Tennessee OR 12-1 UGA and 12-1 Bama or Ole Miss (Disclaimer: I think there is no chance LSU wins tonight)

OOPS!

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Wow.

A thread with 900 posts in less than 15 hours? Outside of official game threads, this has to be some sort of record.

Clearly, folks here really, really want to talk about us getting into the playoffs.

I didn't read 900 posts that came before. Sorry. So apologies if I repeat others' thoughts without acknowledging them.

But it's really simple math:

(a) we win out in our last three regular season games (very likely)
(b) UGa beats LSU for the SEC crown (very likely)

And we're in. Either as the #3 or #4 seed (depending on whether TCU loses a game)

It is UGa, OSU/Mich winner, us, and TCU. Or, if TCU loses, the PAC champion as long as they have only 1 loss. The loser of OSU-Mich is out, their game comes too late in the season to recover from. And as for the SEC West teams, no 2-loss team has ever made the playoffs; this year will be no different in that regard.

Simple.

Go Vols!

[I'm gonna whisper this, because I'm a little ashamed of it -- I'd almost rather we weren't in -- I think it would be more fun, and less painful, for us to be left just outside the playoffs, and instead get to a nice New Years Six bowl, maybe the Sugar Bowl, and beat an 11-1 Michigan or 11-2 USCw -- but our goal is to win championships, and you absolutely can't win them if you don't play for them, so I should be fervently hoping we're in -- shhhhh]

Last edited:
The SEC champ will automatically be in especially if they beat Georgia. Georgia will then be in as well so Tennessee is only hope is for Georgia to stay undefeated

There is no way a 3 loss team would get in even if they beat UGA. Y'all are smoking something surely. 2 loss isn't even a guarantee.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
The SEC champ will automatically be in especially if they beat Georgia. Georgia will then be in as well so Tennessee is only hope is for Georgia to stay undefeated

There are no automatic berths for a conference champ. None! The reason is that there are 5 major conferences, the power 5 conferences and only 4 spots. The committee will end up selecting the 4 teams they feel are the best four teams in the country. For a 2 loss team to get in - there must be only 3 teams that have lost 1 or less at the end of the year.

When the expand to 8 I would suspect they would then consider taking the conference champ for the 5 regardless of records, have 1 from the power 5 and then 2 at large.

There is no way a 3 loss team would get in even if they beat UGA. Y'all are smoking something surely. 2 loss isn't even a guarantee.
anyone who the beats the number one team in the country for the sec conference championship will be in the playoffs. Tennessee got exposed and has been playing with house money all year. They barely escaped three games but it finally caught up with them. The game wasn't even close yesterday. Tennessee was manhandled on both sides of the ball and it could've been a lot worse but Georgia win the clock management know the second half and only threw 4 passes. The entire college football world saw that game yesterday including the playoff committee members. The win against Alabama is not looking so good nor is the win against Florida or Pitt.

This looks right for next week

8. LSU 7-2
7. USC 8-1
6. Oregon 8-1
5. Tennessee 8-1
4. TCU Horned 9-0
3. Michigan 9-0
2. Ohio State 9-0
1. Georgia 9-0

Reactions: utnut1
Totally fair. I suppose my use of “horrific” stems from being a student who was on campus for the game, surrounded by a ton of VERY negative individuals. In the moment that loss felt earth shattering (especially because it’s my senior year, so any loss at this point feels even worse than it is, unfortunately.) but you’re totally right. Thank you for setting me straight 🫡
😂 There is a lot of football left.. just sit back and see how it shakes out (speaking as a student from a long time ago)…

Reactions: counterdevotee
anyone who the beats the number one team in the country for the sec conference championship will be in the playoffs. Tennessee got exposed and has been playing with house money all year. They barely escaped three games but it finally caught up with them. The game wasn't even close yesterday. Tennessee was manhandled on both sides of the ball and it could've been a lot worse but Georgia win the clock management know the second half and only threw 4 passes. The entire college football world saw that game yesterday including the playoff committee members. The win against Alabama is not looking so good nor is the win against Florida or Pitt.
Troll on

Tennessee just needs to Win Out and win in dominate fashion the remainder of the season. TCU has 3 games left and can lose 1-2 of them for sure, likely setting up a Big-12 Conference Game that they also likely lose. OSU vs. Michigan will put one of them with a loss. I think we need that game to be a blowout on one side or the other. Our loss was by 14 to the team that will likely be undefeated by Playoff time. I personally think we end up #4 with a rematch against GA… REGARDLESS, this has been an awesome season of football!

Reactions: VolKnight9
Oregon will not pass us. They lost 49-3 to UGA

They did. And if they win out they will have won 12 straight games, with 3 of the last 4 against ranked teams AND won a conference championship while we are sitting at home. Don't bet any money on them not passing us.

Georgia fan? Bring back Zippy Morrocco

They did. And if they win out they will have won 12 straight games, with 3 of the last 4 against ranked teams AND won a conference championship while we are sitting at home. Don't bet any money on them not passing us.
I just don’t see how if we go 11-1 and our loss is to the #1 team by only two scores how they can leave us out but time will tell

Reactions: TNBV

VN Store

Back