Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't had the best career but it hasn't been bad. If State doesn't want this to happen they should be paying their AD's more.

Cohen "lost" Mullen and Vic Schaefer (WBB - made them 2x NCAA runner's up). Then he hired Joe Moorhead who lasted 1 season before he fired him and hired Mike Leach. But... both of those hires were considered very good hires at the time.

Women's basketball he hired Nikki McCray-Penson (Lady Vol and Women's BB Hall of Famer) who was Dawn Staley's #1 assistant at SoCar. She resigned like midway through her first season for "health reasons" and they had an interim for the rest of the season and next season. That hire was a homerun, until it wasn't. Now they have Sam Purcell who's been an assistant at Louisville and Auburn.
In Baseball Cohen replaced himself with Andy Cannizaro from LSU. 3 games into his second season he resigned because he was having an affair with a football staff assistant. Then Cohen hired current coach Chris Lemonis - the good is Lemonis brought a national title. The bad is he went 26-30 last year.
Cohen fired Ben Howland in March and replaced him with New Mexico State head coach Chris Jans. So we will see how that goes.

Overall.... not a stellar record of success in the hiring department.

He built up equity with his baseball hires, which he knew. Cannizaro was somewhat unfortunate because I believe MSU people will tell you that he was a really good coach. Hate to say that he couldn't do much about Mullen and Schaeffer- one going back to a school he coached at that is easier to succeed and the other going home to a big brand.

We’re obviously gunning for a big time RB transfer. The bags must be ready to unload, if they’ve moved JWT
My thought as well. Also, JWT doesn't change his position without being willing to imo. If he didn't want to be a linebacker he'd be in the portal.

If RB isn't working out, you've got Jeremy Banks as a roll model for what switching can do. It's cool he's not transferring, because that tells me he loves the team and wants to stay in Knoxville.

My thought as well. Also, JWT doesn't change his position without being willing to imo. If he didn't want to be a linebacker he'd be in the portal.

If RB isn't working out, you've got Jeremy Banks as a roll model for what switching can do. It's cool he's not transferring, because that tells me he loves the team and wants to stay in Knoxville.

Tootsie or Swiss? 😉

They had 6 seconds from when Hooker got vertical to when the ball was snapped. Not a dang thing KY could be expected to do unless they KNEW with 100 percent certainty it was coming and where.

Scouting Heupel’s system / philosophy would have led one to believe there’s a very strong chance we go for it.

The new game is moving too fast for those old timers

Got back to RVA late yesterday after going to my first game in five years. Neyland was absolutely electric. Have been to a number of games over the past 15 years, and you can just feel it's different. Heck of a game day experience, and we as fans deserve every ounce of this. No matter how the season unfolds, was glad to see this team in person. A side note, I was pretty stoked to snag one of these bottles at Cristy's Liquor store, along with enjoying some great lagers at Schulz Brau, and stuffing my face at Southern Grit. Knoxville even better than I remember!
IMG_6257 (1).jpgIMG_6256.jpg

Going back to recruiting, what would it take for Tennessee to get a top 5 recruiting classes? Any major 5 stars on the radar for 2023 that may flip because of our success?

Florida and Miami have higher ranked classes on rivals, I wonder if we can try to steal some of their recruits since both are having miserable seasons.

Going back to recruiting, what would it take for Tennessee to get a top 5 recruiting classes? Any major 5 stars on the radar for 2023 that may flip because of our success?

Florida and Miami have higher ranked classes on rivals, I wonder if we can try to steal some of their recruits since both are having miserable seasons.

Sadly...Auburn's 2023 class is small.

But a few names in their 10 commits we could potentially flip

4* - Jeremiah Cobb RB
4* - Adam Hopkins WR
4* - Terrance Love S
4* - Daquayvious Sorey WR

Could be wrong, but with JWT moving to LB wouldn't have to twist my arm to think Cobb might be interested.

True, but with the way NFL rookie contracts are structure being a mid to late rounder could potentially be less $ than a stout NIL deal at a top school.

Just depends on what Tank's goals are, I think we'd be at the top of his list IF he's planning to take the free transfer and try and ball out for another season in college to increase draft stock.

If he stays another year and enters the portal than yeah, throw the bag at him. Id love to see him in this offense.

I just don’t think anything but a really, really good senior year does all that much for him. In the last 2 drafts only 6 RBs have gone in the first two rounds. All of those 6 RBs had better stats than Tank including a stellar season. Could one really, really good year get him into top 2 rounds, similar to how it happened for Kenneth Walker III who only had really one stellar season? It’s possible. But if he projects around 3rd or 4th round then take that and go work your ass off for more money on that 2nd contract.

Now if he gets offered a really big NIL deal then sure, that could change things. Agreed on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back