Potpourri

Gule news bulletin: Took the Wifey to the airport yesterday @ 6am, she went to Nj to oversee birth of #3 gkid. (Wifey has delivered over 5000 babies as a midwife of 35 years standing). She calls me at 3 am to say the kid is here!!!! lol Daughter gave birth at their home because kid came 2 weeks early and fast. same way #2 gkid arrived. Thank God that Wifey arrived in time and knew how to handle it.

Years ago I had a date with an extremely beautiful girl....I did not know she was wearing false eyelashes...She wanted to sleep over, so being the gentleman I am, I obliged her...

The next morning, on the night stand beside her, I saw what I thought was a couple of spiders...It turned out these spiders were her false eyelashes....Now they weren't the real thick type the girls wear today, but they were more streamlined...They looked very natural...

When she awoke and saw I had her eyelashes, well, it was a good laugh...She looked very hot without them though, but they gave her extra confidence, so I never challenged her about them...
images

Living vicariously through Game Time.

Guys, when I was a very young EMT, still going through my training, I was sent out in my ambulance for a possible OBGYN delivery....My driver that night was newer than me, so he said he was counting on me if we had to deliver....

Well, the house was out in the country and when I got to her she was in full dilation and the baby's head was starting to show...This was her first baby so she was little help.

I got down in my receiving position and prepared to bring life into this world....It took awhile, but together we got that little baby girl into this world....

I was crying right along with mom and dad....It was wonderful, and beautiful, and yes it was terrifying too..

Through the years I kept up with the family, and they with me.....When the little girl got married, Uncle Game Time was right there too.....

When I finally completed my EMT training and was qualified, the instructor asked me how did it feel to actually deliver a baby...I told him and the class I felt like my life had a real meaning...Nothing has ever compared to it. Nothing ever will.
images

All respect to Patsy Cline, whose great career was tragically cut short.

But when it comes to the GOAT of CW music (man or woman), a strong case can be made for East Tennessee's own Dolly Parton (a genius songwriter with an ethereal vocal range:

Gotta say it is too hard to choose between those two, good picks. Patsy just does it for me, that voice and rhythm of hers was something. Patsy Cline to me was C&W, listening to her sends chills still. But it’s true Dolly had a larger volume of music, so let’s call it a tie and they both are deserving.

Kind of like my ranking of greatest Southern Rock Bands ever where it’s almost impossible to choose between Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers, call them 1A and 1B in both cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: madtownvol
Question for all... Which Vol team ends its season ranked highest - football, baseball, men's round ball, or LVs round ball?

Good time to be a Vol, amirite?

I distinctly remember the first time I laid eyes on Sinead. I was in a newsroom, rifling through a pile of new albums sent by recording artists in hopes of getting a review -- 95% of them never did -- and there, in the freebie pile was "The Lion and the Cobra." This was well before most Americans had ever heard of her, and so nobody was interested in giving the album a listen.

Except me. I snagged that thing and fell in love with her music that same night, and I thought she was absolutely gorgeous! I stupidly let someone borrow that album years later and never got it back. And I'm still a little miffed about it.

She was really something back in the day.

P.S. My favorite Sinead album is still "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got." "Last Day of Our Aquaintance" is the greatest divorce/breakup song IMO.

@lvocd I remember in high school getting a compilation VHS tape of some alternative artists, and it had "Mandinka" on it. I got hooked and thought it was the perfect song. I picked up the CD for Lion and The Cobra shortly afterwards. It was ok, but I didn't think any of the other songs came close to Mandinka. Then cam "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" and the video for "Nothing Compares 2 U". Absolutely loved that album, and also agree that "Last Day..." was an absolutely standout song. It's still my favorite on that album (along with "The Emperor's New Clothes"). Here's a live clip that I think you'll enjoy. Her look is also very different from her late 80s/early 90s shaved head. The album version always sounded sad; this one when she gets to the climax the sadness is replaced with anger. I love when she screams out the "I know your answer already" towards the end. Great performance!

@lvocd Have you heard Sinead's version of Elton John's "Sacrifice"? It wasn't on her studio albums, but on a tribute album compilation. I swear it's like they wrote this song for her and didn't even realize it at the time. I think her version really nails down the essence of the song even more than the original.

*It's a bit of a weird video in that the 1st minute or so has video footage of her singing that's not synced to the song before it goes to the studio performance. Which is weird because this is the official video lol.

Sad news

Before Wifey left to go deliver her grandbaby last week, she had a visit with a dermatologist to check a spot on her leg. It's not good news... Big C. She got the results of the testing which confirmed it. DAMN DAMN DAMN

Sad news

Before Wifey left to go deliver her grandbaby last week, she had a visit with a dermatologist to check a spot on her leg. It's not good news... Big C. She got the results of the testing which confirmed it. DAMN DAMN DAMN
Sorry to hear that Gule, hope for the best.

Dropping in to my fav thread because most of the other threads past few days have gotten toxic and stupid tbh, needed the refuge of this place. Man I could use a good GT story about now,…in the meanwhile enjoy some good music, this thread is like a haven right now.

By the way, that is a young Dave Grohl on the drums (Grohl who later started Foo Fighters). Also, note that Cobain plays the acoustic upside down…it’s an interesting story…..

Last edited:
Sad news

Gule, I've had many skin cancers that have simply been removed and everything's OK with me still. I hope that's all it is for her.

OK Rooster here's a fun story.....

I had this beautiful new Sea Ray Cruiser, that came equipped with a flying bridge and all the amenities any weekend sailor would need to get himself into a life and death situation... The craft was around 30 feet and was built to take on the open sea...Her only fallacy was she had me for a captain....

It was a beautiful early Sunday afternoon, in the month of October in Quivera Basin, which was an anchorage in San Diego Harbor...This is where I kept my brand new craft anchored...

On this particular day I was feeling extra frisky and decided to take out my current bikini clad sweetheart on a day time cruise of the southern California coastline....Afterall, it was a warm sunny day, what could go wrong..

For the first two hour or so, I stayed fairly close to the coastline enjoying the different vistas any weekend novice seaman would enjoy...There were other small craft about enjoying the southern California lifestyle too...It was a grand time to be the captain of your own Sea Ray cruiser, I even had my own white cap with an anchor on it.

The girl looked extra nice on the deck of the flying bridge...She was built for attention and liked being admired, so I did not want to disappoint her...She would wave and yell at every boat that got near us....

It was about this time she said "let's go further out to see, let's go to Catalina Island"...Not wanting to disappoint the bikini clad maiden, I turned my craft toward what I thought might be the general direction of Catalina Island, which happened to be 26 miles off the coast, just like the song said...

I really had no idea where I was going, but it made her happy, so I opened up those big Mercury inboard engines and let her rip toward Catalina Island...We were bouncing along through the chop when it finally dawned on me, where the hell am I going and what the hell am I doing? I must be nuts!

I did not have enough fuel to go that far and there were no gas stations on the open sea to get more....And besides all that, the sky ahead was no longer blue, but was quickly turning gray and the temperature was dropping.

Now, I had not yet completed my seagoing course, that most new amature sea captains take to familiarize themselves with the hazards of the sea, but also how to work the radio that tells you the changing weather forecasts, and most importantly, how to call the coast guard for help, when needed....

I had noticed, before I turned around, a number of small craft were heading toward San Diego harbor, at breakneck speeds...Some of them even sounded their horns at us...I thought they were just being friendly toward my bikini clad friend, but they actually were warning us of the massive fog bank that was fastly overtaking us...

My friend was now on the stern of the boat, and she had a little panic in her voice when she asked me if could I go faster, the fog was closing in on us....

This was now a scene right out of the movie "The Fog"...I mean this fog was starting to surround us, and the view I had of the entrance toward the San Diego Harbor Breakway Jetty was starting to disappear, and there were no white lines on the water to guide the way......

In a matter of moments we were completely engulfed in this wet like mist that prevented vision of no more than just a few feet, or so it seemed...I killed the engines and remembered from the one class I had attended to sound your horn in a fog bank and to ring the bell to let other craft know you were there...

By now I had my friend put on an extra life vest, just in case the worst happens, and we were sunk by another boat lost in the fog bank like us...

I had to maintain a brave face, for my now terrified crying friend...I told her this happens all the time, not to worry....But deep down inside I felt we were shark food...I had this one nagging thought of how in the hell did I get into this mess! But, just one glance at her bikini clad body, I knew why...Such a fool was I.

Then suddenly there was a slight breeze and the fog parted, just a little, where I could see the opening to the Breakway Jetty, which was the opening to the welcoming bosom of the Quivera Basin anchorage....

I fired up those big engines, sounded my air horns, while she rang the fog bell from the stern, and we made a bold dash toward the slight light ahead, that was quickly being overtaken by the fog that was moving inland once again...

I managed to "slowly maneuver" through the mass of boats at anchor, until I found my boat slip, and carefully swung my big Sea Ray into it's safe anchorage space....It was safe, and so were we...

I thought of that old poem line, Home is the sailor, home from the sea...But that fateful foggy day, several armature boatsman, like me, drown while trying to find the opening to the Breakway, which is the opening to the safe harbor.

Quivera Basin...
56680d2f6aacb4d3da760a7caf1fd8a1d27dea8a9e1231598ff5bda514710ca0.jpg

San Diego Coastline under a fog bank...
Coastal-Fog.jpg

San Diego Fog bank....
50bc67997b2e5780f5476a4bd9723b20

The Breakway Jetty, which is off right at top....Miss this in the fog and you hit the rocky shore.
25728553.jpg

Last edited:
Follow up to The Fog....

My bikini clad friend would not get back on my boat ever again....She was done with the sea...However, the story of the Sea Ray does not end there...

Stay tuned for more adventures of "The Collector", that was what I called her...She was a grand craft...

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back