Team News (current roster)

Barnes frequently references 25 mpg ... that does not mean he can actually get there. You have to dance with who you got!
Barnes places value on minutes: So the question becomes which is the better value: 1 minute from a bone tired Santi or is 1 minute from a rested Edwards? Which is the better value.
So, Barnes plays the value game: he (the staff) may choose Santi at 80% for another minute vs Key at 100% for the next minute.
The staff has planned substitution patterns based on minutes, this is to try and keep the players rested and not worn down over the course of the season. This is taking the long view - less minutes is better.
Frankly, I am probably wrong on JJJ ... and his numbers do come down to 28ish .... that likely means those minutes are going to Phillips. This means that Phillips is giving high value minutes to the team.
To me the most valuable minutes are Santi and JJJ, but their minutes will not be productive without an excellent point guard on the floor.
Value minutes (and role acceptance) explains why Barnes starting players do not end up with the most minutes [Uros]. They are providing value minutes, but Uros at 90% might be LESS VALUE THAN than ON at 90% or Aidoo at 100%.
I suspect that UROS starts at the 5 simply because of experience, but gets replaced by Aidoo after 4-5 minutes.
I do think that we will see Philips numbers in the mid or upper 20s, if he can stay out of foul trouble on the defensive end of the court. (The only things that I can see that would limit his playing time is 1) foul trouble or 2) 'chemistry' with the players on the floor.)
Also, Barnes appears to 'experiment' with people at different positions to see what he gets. This is a growth mechanism as well as finding their limitations. This tends to skew minutes until Barnes finds the rotations and sets that he feels gives him the best advantages.
I sincerely hope that ON is back and better than he was last year, that would give us a more freedom to move guys around.
Overall assessment: this is a better 'team' than last year's team. Expecting the record and achievements to be at, near, or above the level of last year's team.

Barnes always has multiple guys over 25mpg and typically our best teams have been a few guys over 30mpg and a few others over 25mpg. It’s a proven stat that smaller rotations and more mpg is the more successful option, not going 10-11 people and nobody over 25mpg.

Barnes frequently references 25 mpg ... that does not mean he can actually get there. You have to dance with who you got!
Barnes places value on minutes: So the question becomes which is the better value: 1 minute from a bone tired Santi or is 1 minute from a rested Edwards? Which is the better value.
So, Barnes plays the value game: he (the staff) may choose Santi at 80% for another minute vs Key at 100% for the next minute.
The staff has planned substitution patterns based on minutes, this is to try and keep the players rested and not worn down over the course of the season. This is taking the long view - less minutes is better.
Frankly, I am probably wrong on JJJ ... and his numbers do come down to 28ish .... that likely means those minutes are going to Phillips. This means that Phillips is giving high value minutes to the team.
To me the most valuable minutes are Santi and JJJ, but their minutes will not be productive without an excellent point guard on the floor.
Value minutes (and role acceptance) explains why Barnes starting players do not end up with the most minutes [Uros]. They are providing value minutes, but Uros at 90% might be LESS VALUE THAN than ON at 90% or Aidoo at 100%.
I suspect that UROS starts at the 5 simply because of experience, but gets replaced by Aidoo after 4-5 minutes.
I do think that we will see Philips numbers in the mid or upper 20s, if he can stay out of foul trouble on the defensive end of the court. (The only things that I can see that would limit his playing time is 1) foul trouble or 2) 'chemistry' with the players on the floor.)
Also, Barnes appears to 'experiment' with people at different positions to see what he gets. This is a growth mechanism as well as finding their limitations. This tends to skew minutes until Barnes finds the rotations and sets that he feels gives him the best advantages.
I sincerely hope that ON is back and better than he was last year, that would give us a more freedom to move guys around.
Overall assessment: this is a better 'team' than last year's team. Expecting the record and achievements to be at, near, or above the level of last year's team.
You forgot the 3rd and most likely reason Phillips may not get 25+ minutes - not playing defense to CRB’s standard.

I was referring to his quote saying no more than 25mpg, of course then he posts a rotation with multiple guys over 25mpg so who knows what he was actually saying. Zeigler 20mpg? Nkahmoua 14mpg? Cmon.
I'm predicting Nkahmoua will have a huge year. I think he was right on the brink last year. Praying for an injury free year for him.

I'm predicting Nkahmoua will have a huge year. I think he was right on the brink last year. Praying for an injury free year for him.
Yea, you return Nkahmoua who was 22mpg pre-injury and a guy that has seen an increased role each season. You lost 34+mpg in the post with Fulk and BHH gone, he’s also the only 1 of Plav/Awaka/Aidoo that has shown he can play the 4 as well as the 5. Really hard for me to not see Nkahmoua getting as many minutes as he can handle.

If anyone averages 30 minutes per game it would be JJJ and Santi. If that occurs than we aren’t pushing tempo (which we should do) and our depth isn’t as good as we think it is.

Looking forward to the open practice this weekend. Going into the season I expect Plavsic, Aidoo and Nkamhoua will split minutes at the 5 equally. Nkamhoua will get another 14 minutes at the 4 with Phillips getting the rest of it (26 per). I would start Nkamhoua and Phillips together and set pace of the game early. Plavsic is better off bench to lean on people and would match-up better against backups. Aidoo will match up well against good opposing offensive post players.

JJJ gets 28 at SF and wouldn’t be surprised if he brings the ball up on occasion as point forward. Key spells him at the 3 and also plays another 6+ at either guard spot. Vescovi gets 26 at the 2, Mashack won’t get double figure minutes but expect he will get consistent minutes each game. Ziegler runs the PG position with 26 minutes and Edwards may approach 10-12 per game.

Overall 8 or 9 get double digit minutes with Edwards and Mashack getting minutes each game on games that matter. That is my guess at this point. May change after watching the practice. Awaka and Jefferson will get some run against inferior opponents but we not see them in SEC games unless someone is hurt. We should run up tempo throughout and wear teams out. Defensively we should be very solid again. Looking forward to another successful season. Our basketball program is in good hands.

Some of the most uptempo (successful) teams in the country have guys over 30mpg, what is up with these takes???
True other teams do, but we are talking about Barnes. Just not his MO. Last year we had 2 guards over 30 (Chandler and Santiago). 2020-2021 no player averaged 30+. 2019-2020…the same, no one averaged 30+. 2018-2019 we had multiple but it was a post oriented offense with Grant Williams. 2017-2018 again no one averaged 30+ even with Grant.

With more depth this year I don’t think he will give anyone that many minutes especially with how aggressive our defense plays. Santiago and JJJ may be close.

Reactions: INDEFENSE

LOL. All this blather for a coach that can’t get it done in March. Maybe Ricky Boo needs a new strategy?🤷🏻

LOL. All this blather for a coach that can’t get it done in March. Maybe Ricky Boo needs a new strategy?🤷🏻

Ricky Boo was 6-1 last March including an SECT championship. The first one of those in 42 tries. Your takes are horrible. Ironic that you call SN-A-C’s post “blather”.

I guess I'm just wrong, but it's hard for me to say this is a preseason top 15 team. For me personally, there are too many question marks to give a ranking that high, with the biggest being PG performance. You guys know I love Zeigler - I gave him the best nickname of Wu-Tang - but I see a sophomore slump being exponentially more likely than dramatic improvement from last season. Of course, I hope I'm dead wrong on that point. I'm also not yet sold on our post play. I didn't see enough of Aidoo and Plav holding their own to feel super confident. I am confident in Vescovi and James, and I'm confident in Phillips to a degree - by all accounts, he should make a palpable positive impact. No doubt we have some really good pieces and a good coach - we very well may be a top 10-15 team. It's just hard for me to see it at this second.

So 25 points in the scrimmage didn’t impress you? I left that scrimmage With an upgraded impression of Phillips, Key, Awaka (although he’s still raw and it won’t be this season), ON, and UP. We know what we’ve got in SV, JJJ, and ZZZ. Key appeared to be getting run as the backup pg.

I guess I'm just wrong, but it's hard for me to say this is a preseason top 15 team. For me personally, there are too many question marks to give a ranking that high, with the biggest being PG performance. You guys know I love Zeigler - I gave him the best nickname of Wu-Tang - but I see a sophomore slump being exponentially more likely than dramatic improvement from last season. Of course, I hope I'm dead wrong on that point. I'm also not yet sold on our post play. I didn't see enough of Aidoo and Plav holding their own to feel super confident. I am confident in Vescovi and James, and I'm confident in Phillips to a degree - by all accounts, he should make a palpable positive impact. No doubt we have some really good pieces and a good coach - we very well may be a top 10-15 team. It's just hard for me to see it at this second.

I was also in the camp of worried about PG play, but I am coming around to the belief that this much less a concern than I had imagined. Therefore, I think we belong in easily in the top 15, likely in the top 10. I really just do not see any weaknesses, at this point.

Reactions: walkenvol
I was also in the camp of worried about PG play, but I am coming around to the belief that this much less a concern than I had imagined. Therefore, I think we belong in easily in the top 15, likely in the top 10. I really just do not see any weaknesses, at this point.
I think PG play/backup PG & post scorer are the biggest “questions”, not necessarily a glaring weakness. I think Zeigler will at the very least be solid and not a weakness, question will be 10mpg backing him up, if Key can hold it down then that spot will be fine. Last year we were horrible 2pt scoring, that led to those patented droughts we had that really hurt us, not having a go to post scorer. Will a healthy/improved Nkahmoua be that? Plavsic? Phillips as a 4?

Reactions: i2amavol

VN Store

Back