Republicans Opposing Legal Immigration

We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

So whenever somebody says something like:

I'm going to point them to this thread.

I think it’s more accurate to state that poor/middle class Republicans are opposed to illegal immigration. Rich Republicans pretend to be opposed to it to get votes from poor/ middle class Republicans all the while hiring cheap landscaping and poultry workers. If Elite Republicans actually cared about it, W would have built a wall 20 years ago instead of making even more poor financial decisions.

You're explaining why you don't support legal immigration, which is the point of the thread, so thanks.

You're saying you won't even talk about it until the government jumps thru hoops (which will never happen). This is akin to saying, "we shouldn't have the right fo bear arms until we figure out how to properly deal with mental illness." It's easy to say you would welcome more immigrants if something that will never happen happens.

Ironically, you have no problem with the government putting their filthy hands all over the labor maket in terms of who we can hire, but have a major problem with minimum wage (which is just another form of labor market regulation). Saying "f your minimum wage" and paying immigrants under the table is perfectly acceptable civil disobedience due to unjust laws, if you ask me.

Coming here illegally isn’t a right.

My favorite is that everybody seems to forget refugees and asylum seekers are legally following the process, and so anytime you oppose them, you are opposing legal immigration.

So you don’t oppose any type of legal firearm or ammunition purchase?

I think it’s more accurate to state that poor/middle class Republicans are opposed to illegal immigration. Rich Republicans pretend to be opposed to it to get votes from poor/ middle class Republicans all the while hiring cheap landscaping and poultry workers. If Elite Republicans actually cared about it, W would have built a wall 20 years ago instead of making even more poor financial decisions.

Yeah, since walls are working so well to get the border under control.

Yeah, since walls are working so well to get the border under control.

I didn’t say it would have solved the issue. I said if he were serious he would have tried it. And actually there are areas of the wall where it has been an immense deterrent (much to my chagrin). That’s part of the reason people keep drowning in a dangerous river.

There is no doubt that the Democratic Party has embraced this massive immigration. Now that is not to dispute Republican accountability. But Joe and the Dems own this massive unsustainable increase.

I didn’t say it would have solved the issue. I said if he were serious he would have tried it. And actually there are areas of the wall where it has been an immense deterrent (much to my chagrin). That’s part of the reason people keep drowning in a dangerous river.

I'm serious about fixing immigration and getting the border under control, and I find the idea of a wall as a solution to be a laughable waste of money and attention.

I'm serious about fixing immigration and getting the border under control, and I find the idea of a wall as a solution to be a laughable waste of money and attention.

We waste money on far worse. The only problem is we have waited far too long to do it but better late than never.

Reactions: Vol737 and AM64

I’m serious about people who are willing to follow our laws and support themselves being able to come here at their leisure. The wall is a deterrent in some places. That doesn’t mean I’m advocating for it. I’m reporting the weather not creating it.

Reality
I helped 2 Mexicans become US citizens in the 90s.
They could not do today what they did then. Remind me who’s been in charge of this **** for the majority of the time since then.
Neither party is concerned about fixing the problem and blaming the GOP is ****ing stupid.
Hurrah for tribalism from hacks that talk a lot but don’t actually do anything.

We have anti-immigration deniers all over VN (and the Republican party). I've heard it many, many times. "All Republicans support immigration. They only oppose illegal immigration." Which is demonstrably false. This thread is all about proving that. I don't care to debate the merits of immigration here, tho I'm sure that will happen. I'm just gonna have this thread as a reference guide for the deniers. Example:

View attachment 495294

Sorry man, it wasn't Republicans who called the national guard and had immigrants removed within 24 hours of showing up in their neighborhood. Why no thread on the Democrats hypocritical move?

You're explaining why you don't support legal immigration, which is the point of the thread, so thanks.

You're saying you won't even talk about it until the government jumps thru hoops (which will never happen). This is akin to saying, "we shouldn't have the right fo bear arms until we figure out how to properly deal with mental illness." It's easy to say you would welcome more immigrants if something that will never happen happens.

Ironically, you have no problem with the government putting their filthy hands all over the labor maket in terms of who we can hire, but have a major problem with minimum wage (which is just another form of labor market regulation). Saying "f your minimum wage" and paying immigrants under the table is perfectly acceptable civil disobedience due to unjust laws, if you ask me.

I see your point on paying illegals under the table as an end around minimum wage. In fact, minimum wage laws are likely responsible for an underground economy in much the same way that Prohibition drove illegal booze.

Until we lock up the government - probably at gunpoint - and force change, nothing is likely to happen. Remember amnesty back under Reagan with the promise of getting illegal immigration under control? It never happened, and stuff like that won't unless we force it, and it's looking like "force" is the operative word.

We don't have open borders. We have government failure at the border. Saying that we have open borders and blaming it on dems is giving the entire government a complete pass for your own political purposes.

One in the same. Govt failure at border = virtually open border. Why split hairs? We’ve dispersed millions of illegals into the US and taken away resources from the USCBP under Biden’s EOs. I fault congress too, controlled by….who?

View attachment 495294

I'm not going to defend what they are saying here but I do believe we must suspend all immigration until we can get the current situation stabilized. It isn't sustainable and these people are being taken advantage of, multiple times in the process.

We need immigration. But what this administration, and to be honest the two before that, have allowed to happen is criminal. My family has sponsored two people and helped them gain citizenship. Even they are dismayed at what we have allowed to happen.

Reactions: AM64
In that case, it's always going to be theoretical BS because illegal immigration will never be dealt with in a satisfactory manner....and that's because (1) the best way to combat illegal immigration is to open up legal immigration substantially, which almost nobody is interested in, especially among the people most concerned with fixing illegal immigration. (2) harsh solutions that may theoretically work are not palatable, and fly in the face of what America is all about.
Maybe this is addressed later in the thread but I'm too lazy to read it all in one go. So,
Not really. Legal immigration targets people we want. Very many illegals are people we don't necessarily want. Raising our quota for doctors and people from Germany or Bhutan won't affect the number of unskilled Hondurans coming illegally. Harsh solutions aren't what we're about? Hell we're all about harsh, knee jerk solutions. Who locks up more of their population for trivial stuff than we do, and what industrialized country executes more people than we do?
We could fairly easily reduce illegal immigration by penalizing those who hire and house them, and by a few months in jail and then deportation for arrested illegals.
I don't think Congress will do anything meaningful because Democrats want second generation voters and Republicans (edit) and a lot of Democrats (edit) want cheap labor.

Last edited:
I wish for once that somebody would actually prove that businesses are only owned by republicans, that only republicans want cheap labor, that dems never profit from business, and that dem politicans never accept contributions from and support favorable business legislation and regulation in return. Prove that and I might accept the argument that republicans are the bad guys, but I'm thinking my current position is extremely safe.

Reactions: EasternVol
I agree, we need a moratorium on all immigration until we can get it fixed. It's stupidity trying to imply that opposing immigration is bad. Only a DIMorat thinks like that
All immigration? Spouses and children of citizens? Scientists, doctors, skilled technicians?

What would be wrong with suspending all immigration for say 20-30 years? How about this. How about instead of worrying about immigration, the government put much more focus on trying to fix this country for us Americans?

Besides, many liberals talk about how bad America is. How the healthcare system sucks, our life expectancy is low, education sucks, we are a racist country blah, blah, blah. So just suspend all immigration and let these immigrants go to a much better country.

Reactions: AM64
My favorite is that everybody seems to forget refugees and asylum seekers are legally following the process, and so anytime you oppose them, you are opposing legal immigration.

Declaring yourself a refugee after bypassing multiple safe countries to come here is a shame. To proclaim people are anti immigration for opposing abuses to the system is ignorant

And the alternative is an artificial wage floor because of govt controls? Let the wage reflect the work

It would if the market wasn’t flooded with illegal immigrants. There is a reason you don’t see illegal immigrants occupying office buildings in New York and white collar wages continue to grow exponentially faster than blue collar wages.

It would if the market wasn’t flooded with illegal immigrants. There is a reason you don’t see illegal immigrants occupying office buildings in New York and white collar wages continue to grow exponentially faster than blue collar wages.
The market shouldn't care the status of a worker. If a job is worth $X then that means someone is willing to work for that wage. If it's worth more then the workers will demand more. All these govt controls are simply market manipulation

Reactions: AM64 and sonofUT62

VN Store

Back