Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attendence at Southern Cal this year is the same as the crowd that the f---ed face backstabber is complaining about at Ole Piss.

Lane is just making his excuse to run away while (implicitly) throwing his hat into the ring for coaching openings. I am still shocked he didn't bolt last year while he still had the Birmingham office taking opponent touchdowns off the board for him. Suck it, Lane.

How many notifications do you have? My assumption is it really only took away notifications from posters with over a certain amount of likes. There’s other people with under 10k that didn’t lose theirs 🤷🏻‍♂️
3,300 notifications

82k likes

Specially THEIR version of it! Like when Ubben suggested the money from those t-shirt sales wasn’t going to the kid. Whatever came out of that? Haney did leave a troll void that Basillio can’t completely fill for you “realists”. 😏

Haney was right all along about Butch Jones’ toxic culture. Some didn’t like the message so they shot the messenger.

Haney was right all along about Butch Jones’ toxic culture. Some didn’t like the message so they shot the messenger.
100%

Was actually amazing to watch in real-time.

Vol writers were backing him, but not many listened.

I was always of the mindset that the article was just fine. But the title didn't properly reflect the entire contents of the article, which was more balanced. That falls back on the editor imo.

Attendence at Southern Cal this year is the same as the crowd that the f---ed face backstabber is complaining about at Ole Piss.

Lane is just making his excuse to run away while (implicitly) throwing his hat into the ring for coaching openings. I am still shocked he didn't bolt last year while he still had the Birmingham office taking opponent touchdowns off the board for him. Suck it, Lane.
Where was he going to go? Not sure he was that highly desired.

A couple of significant bullets from Heupel's press conference today:

Patrick Brown question: In the final 8 minutes of the game you’re up 17 and it gets down to the final play, what did you like or not like about the way you guys closed out the game with the lead.

Heupel: Yeah, offensively, you want to finish out the 4 minute drive when we had the football and be in a position to take a knee and end the game with us on the field offensively. Defensively, we just didn’t do the things that you need to at the end and that’s tight coverage, being able to affect the quarterback, and get off the football field. That’s somethings we’ve gotta do better. We handled the last play the right way, BY was able to get some pressure on the quarterback. Obviously special teams, onside kick, you don’t want to give those up. You’re putting yourself in a susceptible position right there so there’s things that we do in finishing out the game that we HAVE (emphasis his) to do a better job and that’s our entire football team. It’s not just one player or one unit.

Brent Hubbs question: Coach, for the last couple of weeks, when asked about your secondary, you’ve mentioned a couple different times tightening up their coverage. Is that them not playing with confidence? Is that them not understanding? Why is the secondary not playing as tight in coverage as you would like?

Heupel: It’s just being a little bit better in fundamentals, technique, having their eyes in the right place, and understanding situational football. It’s things they can and WILL (emphasis mine) do here as we continue to move forward.
I’m happy Coach Heupel mentioned technique in the secondary. Which is clearly awful in the secondary. Tennessee doesn’t have the most talented secondary obviously but they could make it easier on themselves by playing with good technique, being in good positioning and TACKLING…. Something that didn’t happen last game. Heupel’s on their case. Rightfully so. Hopefully we can get it cleaned up for the big stretch coming up

Y
I’m happy Coach Heupel mentioned technique in the secondary. Which is clearly awful in the secondary. Tennessee doesn’t have the most talented secondary obviously but they could make it easier on themselves by playing with good technique, being in good positioning and TACKLING…. Something that didn’t happen last game. Heupel’s on their case. Rightfully so. Hopefully we can get it cleaned up for the big stretch coming up

Right - been one of the weird things about the post-game conversation. To my untrained eye, it doesn't look like mainly a physical talent problem as much guys not being in the right places/messing up their assignments in zone. The upside to that is it's something I would think can get better.

That being said, I don't doubt that there are physical limitations in the secondary.

Vol Nation,

I don't normally ask, but I would appreciate any prayers, thoughts, and positive wishes. My wife just left for a 6 month deployment. We have a 4 year old and an 18 month old that are going to miss their mom and I'm going to miss my wife. I'm in the military too so this isn't going to be the easiest 6 months for all of us. I'm just pretty down right now and I'm grateful for any positivity thrown our way.
Prayers going up.

Haney's article was fine...for after Butch was inevitably canned. There's a reason you typically don't see articles like that published during coaches' tenures unless their terminations are imminent. It's a great way to burn all bridges with that coach and his staff.
It's also a good way to limit the coach's ability to recruit new staff hires. You've got high staff and athlete turnover, then an article like that gets published. If you're a coach climbing the ladder and get an offer to come in... there's red flags. You might take it solely because it's UT.

I think it just dawned on me that we should beat LSU.

I just wanted to beat Pitt and, especially, UF. I was so excited with the team achieving those goals and getting to 4-0 that I forgot about what's next. I never really thought to set my expectations, as a fan, to 5-0. Maybe I figured LSU would just have one of those incredible years, like most of our alternating west opponents have. . . or maybe we'd run out of luck by the LSU game, or we'd have too many injuries.

Luck hasn't been much of a factor in getting to 4-0. In fact, we've fought against bad luck/performances and still won. We beat a solid Pitt team and a Florida team that tried everything they could to stay in the game, but couldn't.

Now we're heading to LSU and a win there isn't just possible, it's probable. We'll be favored as the visiting team. We've got a great start time, mostly no serious injuries, a defense that's proven it can do what it takes to win, and an offense that is hitting smooth on all cylinders.

I can't believe we're just 17 games removed from from the Pruitt era disaster. We're in the top10, staring down the barrel at 5-0 and the potential for an undefeated matchup against Bama.

It's strange, because it feels real. I mean, even though we had a couple decent years with Butch, it never felt "real" or sustainable. I literally can't remember the feeling from the last time we were legitimately good. We may lose a few games down the stretch, but the future for the Vols looks extremely bright.

Do you guys think we're a legitimate top10 team or are we being propped up by winning the first few games? I mean, do you see us as a top10 team at the end of the season?

Anyway. . .
Vols 45
LSU 37

(Edit: sheesh, that was longer than I thought it was. . . @Glitch )

It was still a ****** approach for a story in the middle of a season. If you want to run a story like that, even if it is true, better use something more than a bunch of anonymous sources. Im not surprised the backlash it got because of that.

In the end, it was true though. Timing was also wrong for the story. There’s a reason why AP and Hubbs and guys like that don’t speak on certain things until they know they can.

Last edited:
I think it just dawned on me that we should beat LSU.

I just wanted to beat Pitt and, especially, UF. I was so excited with the team achieving those goals and getting to 4-0 that I forgot about what's next. I never really thought to set my expectations, as a fan, to 5-0. Maybe I figured LSU would just have one of those incredible years, like most of our alternating west opponents have. . . or maybe we'd run out of luck by the LSU game, or we'd have too many injuries.

Luck hasn't been much of a factor in getting to 4-0. In fact, we've fought against bad luck/performances and still won. We beat a solid Pitt team and a Florida team that tried everything they could to stay in the game, but couldn't.

Now we're heading to LSU and a win there isn't just possible, it's probable. We'll be favored as the visiting team. We've got a great start time, mostly no serious injuries, a defense that's proven it can do what it takes to win, and an offense that is hitting smooth on all cylinders.

I can't believe we're just 17 games removed from from the Pruitt era disaster. We're in the top10, staring down the barrel at 5-0 and the potential for an undefeated matchup against Bama.

It's strange, because it feels real. I mean, even though we had a couple decent years with Butch, it never felt "real" or sustainable. I literally can't remember the feeling from the last time we were legitimately good. We may lose a few games down the stretch, but the future for the Vols looks extremely bright.

Do you guys think we're a legitimate top10 team or are we being propped up by winning the first few games? I mean, do you see us as a top10 team at the end of the season?

Anyway. . .
Vols 45
LSU 37

(Edit: sheesh, that was longer than I thought it was. . . @Glitch )
Interesting. I think I would characterize my thoughts (and, if you jokers are being honest, probably a lot of your thoughts, too) like this:

Before the season starts, you think about the various scenarios that could result in certain records at given points during the season. For the possibilities of what our record would be after five games, we probably didn't spend a lot of time considering 5-0 as a possibility. So we spent time thinking about what it would look like if we were 4-1, 3-2 or 2-3. For 2-3, that obviously meant that we'd lost to Pitt, FL, and LSU. For 3-2, we had dropped two of those three. And my assumption is that when any of us considered our path to being 4-1, we probably didn't feel it was very likely that we would have entered the LSU game 4-0 and lost it.

That's my theory on what prompts any of us to be caught off-guard in staring down the barrel of a 5-0 start.

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
It was still a ****** approach for a story. If you want to run a story like that, even if it is true, better use something more than a bunch of anonymous sources. Im not surprised the backlash it got because of that.
Anonymous sources are easy because the writer can write perfect quotes for her purpose.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Haney's article was fine...for after Butch was inevitably canned. There's a reason you typically don't see articles like that published during coaches' tenures unless their terminations are imminent. It's a great way to burn all bridges with that coach and his staff.

And that would never get written at several high level SEC schools, especially the way it was written.

Somebody must be really struggling to accept that we are 4-0 with wins over Pitt and FL to feel the desire to search his happy-place closet of memories and drag out a story about whichever ex-coach he is missing at the moment. Who would do that?

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-head-smack.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back